Shopping Discussion

FS and BB putting wrong serial numbers on receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2007 1:11 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes

FS and BB putting wrong serial numbers on receipts?

I was checking today to be sure that I have recorded the serial numbers on my AV gear, after a reminder on the radio this week that the police would like to have that information if you report a theft. To my surprise I found that while almost every receipt I have from Future Shop and Best Buy has a "Serial Number" recorded on it, it was wrong in every case. Not only would that lead to me reporting the wrong serial number if the corresponding gear was ever stolen, it makes me wonder what would happen if I needed service under an extended warranty for a unit that has the wrong serial number recorded on the receipt.

Is it carelessness? A sleazy attempt to weasel out of warranty service? Or something else?

I'd be curious to know what other people find on their FS and BB receipts! :confused:
17 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed that too with my electronic purchases.

From what I see, Best Buy did not record the serial numbers, just the product codes for their inventories (i.e. bar code for the item, not the serial number). I bought 2 Bravia LCD's, 2 DVD Recorders, and some other things and none have any serial numbers on them.

What I do is just make copies of the bill of sale, and register the warranties with the items online at the manufacture sites (i.e. sony.ca). If there is any issues, with a bill and serial number, that is more then enough for warranty coverage and theft recovery.
Jun 16, 2003
182 posts
7 upvotes
You guys may have problems with your returns and warranty in the future. I saw a customer try to return his monitor at FS and they were refusing him because the serial number on his receipt was not the same as the one he was returning. Customer insisted that this was the monitor he purchased, but the store told him that he could have switched the monitors on them to get a free exchange on his defective monitor. If the customer was honest, he got screwed, but I can see where the store was trying to protect themselves from people who buy the same item and switch it for their defective merchandise. I suspect that the manufacturers could also give you a hard time if they ask to see a copy of your bill and the receipt serial number doesn't match the item.

I have also seen where the store will actually take the time to turn on the item and make sure it works if it is just a return. There were times where nobody even checked the serial numbers at all. As usual, YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
I can see them putting their own SKU code for the item on the receipt, but when they have a separate number labeled "Serial #" on the receipt, as these receipts do, it should be the correct serial number for the product.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Aske001 wrote: I can see them putting their own SKU code for the item on the receipt, but when they have a separate number labeled "Serial #" on the receipt, as these receipts do, it should be the correct serial number for the product.
Ah, yes you are right. Sometimes the people lack training. In the case with my TV's they scanned the product SKU and for the serial number, they just scanned the same thing again!

I didn't have an issue returning the 32" TV, since I just told them "these are the items I got from you and this is the bill you printed". Another bonus was the same person who I bought the items from knew me and that made things easier.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
Yeah it depends on the item. If it's say a Cell Phone they have to scan the right numbers as the computer will not accept anything that doesn't match the correct number of digits.

Usually when they enter a dummy number it's obvious though. On my receipts sometimes it says Serial# 12345, or Serial# 0. So in that case it isn't a problem since they know a rubbish number was put in.
Sep 2, 2007
480 posts
181 upvotes
Hey! I think you're onto something. I just had a horror story involving two (Xboxen?) 360s, one from Futureshop and One from Walmart! The serial on the Futureshop receipt' didn't match ANYTHING on the Xbox 360 or its packaging. It was eventually resolved but it was a major waste of my time considering the deadlines at work I had at the time.

You guys could download the two faxes I sent to Futureshop District HQ... it's been chopped up and edited, names and such have been blanked out but I left my gamertag in for fun. Let me know if you want the receipts scanned and everything.

http://b.1asphost.com/gout/fs.rtf

Here's the Cliffs Notes version:

I really did want to keep the one from Futureshop... got a VGA cable and all from Ebay. But being a RFDer I'm not going to pass up HDMI + NHL 2k8 for $50 cheaper. So I got the one at the Walmart sale and went to return the FS one.

I brought it in and the store was very busy. I waited in line twice, and didn't make any fuss. They told me the receipt SN didn't match the 360 SN#, and that I couldn't return it. What the tech?

So we went some failsafe thing which involved looking at my saved games. Didn't work too well, and it was a waste of time. Now, I understand how busy they are some days and eventually got the issue escalated after some waiting... but the store manager was still really a big dick about it and really did not provide any sort of decent answer as to why this happened. His line about the serial system being a 100% perfect solution was funny - I like how he had the gumption to admit that he can absolutely control and monitor human error. You hear that guys? The world's most capable manager is working at FS! The other staff was okay, but they basically had to do as they were told. Which is to have me take this problem to FS HQ or Microsoft.

Anyway, I did my fact checking, spoke to the 1800XBOX # several lengthy times, wrote a few faxes to FS, waited a week or two and it turned out in my favor. So at least something happened up there. I returned my Xbox 360 last Thursday. They did all their correspondence by phone so I don't have a written record of their decisions. It did take a bit of my free time and it's still taking up my time as I write this. But now at least I have time to do my work and play a bit of Xbox, on my one Xbox 360.

There was a bunch of back and forth about whether I could return Tony Hawk as a package deal... they told me no when I brought the 360 in the first time (I was kind of okay with it... it's only fair) and then yes the second time (but I didn't have the game with me). I had to return the 360 AND Tony Hawk at the same time. So I gave up and ended up buying Project 8 for $30. It's not a bad game and I got the 360 returned, so I'm happy. And I'm happy with what HQ did but like I said, it's their mistake, their policy, and I expect them to follow it.

So I guess it's Caveat Emptor for anybody buying stuff from FS! But I still think that they seriously have to reexamine their control systems at the retail level. They never got back to me on that.
May 4, 2006
316 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
usually it's the LP's job at the front to verify correct serial numbers for BB... it depends on your location though... but yeah, it does happen - usually it's just people scanning in the wrong number, or if the POS asks for a serial number that doesn't exist on the product (things like cell phone cases or laptop bags)
Banned
Jul 29, 2007
42 posts
Toronto
doctorofstyle wrote: usually it's the LP's job at the front to verify correct serial numbers for BB... it depends on your location though... but yeah, it does happen - usually it's just people scanning in the wrong number, or if the POS asks for a serial number that doesn't exist on the product (things like cell phone cases or laptop bags)
lol like those guys actually do their job...all they do is stand there and greet people
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1559 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
This has been continuing for the last 3 years as far as I know with FS. I bought a printer from FS 3 yrs back and also got the extended warranty... Now the printer died after 2.5 yrs and there begins the horror story...The serial number does not match... Wasted 2 months and numerous trips to store/emails to get it resolved...meanwhile i was treated like a scammer out to scam FS.

GOd, its high time somebody raise this topic.... This way FS and BB can easily get themselves out of extended warranty...
noplan wrote: Hey! I think you're onto something. I just had a horror story involving two (Xboxen?) 360s, one from Futureshop and One from Walmart! The serial on the Futureshop receipt' didn't match ANYTHING on the Xbox 360 or its packaging. It was eventually resolved but it was a major waste of my time considering the deadlines at work I had at the time.

I brought it in and the store was very busy. I waited in line twice, and didn't make any fuss. They told me the receipt SN didn't match the 360 SN#, and that I couldn't return it. What the tech?

So I guess it's Caveat Emptor for anybody buying stuff from FS! But I still think that they seriously have to reexamine their control systems at the retail level. They never got back to me on that.
If "humans" are capable of the level of advancement that we have made in the last 5000 years, why is it considered normal that the other 395,000 years of human habitation has almost no technological advancement? **************USA: The land of the armed, Home of the scared******************
Banned
Jul 29, 2007
42 posts
Toronto
thihs also sucks if you have a coupon for a mail in rebate...if the serial on the box doesent match the receipt then ur screwed....

so what do you do in this case?? ask the cashier to make sure the correct serial is on the bill?
May 4, 2006
316 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
webs24 wrote: lol like those guys actually do their job...all they do is stand there and greet people
yeah ... some people tend to do their jobs - me being one of them

and it's not that hard guys - take a look at your reciept and your product and make sure if they have a serial number if they scanned it in properly ... it's the least you guys could do if you're spending that much money - if they scanned it in wrong - let them know they scanned it in wrong.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
doctorofstyle wrote: yeah ... some people tend to do their jobs - me being one of them

and it's not that hard guys - take a look at your reciept and your product and make sure if they have a serial number if they scanned it in properly ... it's the least you guys could do if you're spending that much money - if they scanned it in wrong - let them know they scanned it in wrong.
although i agree with you.....its not too much to ask to have someone do their job properly...i mean they know they are selling high priced electrnoics, that for various reasons people need the proper serial numbers on their bill....the least they could do is check themselves, and make sure they do their job properly
May 4, 2006
316 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: although i agree with you.....its not too much to ask to have someone do their job properly...i mean they know they are selling high priced electrnoics, that for various reasons people need the proper serial numbers on their bill....the least they could do is check themselves, and make sure they do their job properly
well no - but sometimes errors happen - like with computer stuff there are tons of barcodes that can easily be accidently scanned instead of the serial number... but like at times of back to school or christmas season when people complain that they can't get help in the first place - people are going to be rushing and the more the rush the more chance of an error...

i know i wouldn't spend over 200 bucks on something and not check something like the reciept to make sure everything was documented correctly
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can't imagine them putting wrong serial number, usually they put "000" or the SKU of the item. It's pretty hard to put the wrong one on, you'd have to type one...

Anyways, I'd rather they put the SKU/"000"/leave it blank, cuz it means they have no reference to the product I bought and I can easily do a swap :P LOL
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
4775 posts
534 upvotes
GTA
As long as you have the original box with matching serials, they will take it back.

I had this problem with an iPod Video, but because the box and iPod matched I got my return.
RFD BST Feedback [107 - 0 - 0] | Heatware [72 - 0 - 0]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1559 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
True, if something happens quickly...

But, what about after a year or two, with extended warranty and a big box item???

ANd, I believe, most of us would check only the price in the receipt, not the serial number...
Dark-Colonel wrote: As long as you have the original box with matching serials, they will take it back.

I had this problem with an iPod Video, but because the box and iPod matched I got my return.
If "humans" are capable of the level of advancement that we have made in the last 5000 years, why is it considered normal that the other 395,000 years of human habitation has almost no technological advancement? **************USA: The land of the armed, Home of the scared******************
May 4, 2006
316 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
yeah i understand that most people check there $ but if it clearly shows "serial" on your receipt then you should take a look - especially if you're purchasing an extended service plan

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)