• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2021 6:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4359 posts
2924 upvotes

FS: Sealed 1986 NES Super Mario Bros $660,000 + free shipping

No, it's not a for sale ad in the wrong section, but yes it was sold at auction for $660,000 (USD of course).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/03/business ... index.html

After being forgotten in a desk drawer for almost 35 years, a sealed copy of the Nintendo video game Super Mario Bros. sold at auction on Friday for a whopping $660,000.
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4359 posts
2924 upvotes
Well that record certainly didn't take very long to break.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/11/us/legen ... index.html

A sealed, rare version of the iconic Nintendo game "The Legend of Zelda" sold for $870,000 at auction on Friday, making it the most expensive video game ever sold, according to Heritage Auctions, the auction house that ran the sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
4887 posts
5121 upvotes
The NORTH
Might want to post this in the investment forum too. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4248 posts
4441 upvotes
GTA
kr0zet wrote: Might want to post this in the investment forum too. :)
Considering its sealed, cross post this in the Time Machine Enthusiasts forum also Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
7058 posts
5685 upvotes
Toronto
The free shipping must have sealed the deal.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4248 posts
4441 upvotes
GTA
So what we're saying is...

If I hold on to my unopened copy of Facebreaker for PS3, profit?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5594 posts
1253 upvotes
calgary
I'm not a collector but I do love seeing this stuff.

There is a really cool videogame shop near my house that specializes in vintage games and I love just walking around seeing what fetch's a large price tag and what doesn't.

Like the most random Playstation 2 games are demanding 500+$

The value of these things will only continue to grow as time goes on so well everyone balks at these prices, they'll probably be worth 1.5-2x that in a few years.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4692 posts
1633 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I'm not a collector but I do love seeing this stuff.

There is a really cool videogame shop near my house that specializes in vintage games and I love just walking around seeing what fetch's a large price tag and what doesn't.

Like the most random Playstation 2 games are demanding 500+$

The value of these things will only continue to grow as time goes on so well everyone balks at these prices, they'll probably be worth 1.5-2x that in a few years.
It'll be interesting to see what happens down the line as more games go digital and there will be less physical discs available too...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4248 posts
4441 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: It'll be interesting to see what happens down the line as more games go digital and there will be less physical discs available too...
There is a company committed to getting digital and defunct/special games onto physical media

https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/

I've been tempted to purchase from them a few times, it's so limited (lol) that I've never been in on time. I know a few of their games are already very valuable.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10154 posts
2127 upvotes
Victoria
I remember working for a grocery store in the late-mid 90's and there was a sealed NES that never got sold in a storage/junk room upstairs.

It never occurred to me to simply ask someone if I could buy it lol. Someone else beat me to it, and bought it for 50 bucks. It's probably moot because I would opened it, but it was pretty cool seeing a sealed one back then, let alone now.

Can they go Nintendo yellow while still sealed?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2728 posts
3929 upvotes
That said, even with the 9.8A++ rating, no one was expecting Mario 64 to fetch a small fortune. A 9.4 A+ graded sealed copy of the game sold for only $38,400 on Heritage Auctions this past January, and a 9.2 A graded copy sold for just $7,500 there last year. Other copies of the game in similar condition sold just below $10,000 on Ebay earlier this year as well. $1.5 million, even including any seller and buyer fees, is still completely out of left field. A 9.4 A++ graded copy of the game sold at the same time only went for $28,800. Can a marginal grading difference really be worth seven figures?
I've been hearing rumours (zero proof mind you) that there's possibly some shady stuff going on with the SM64 sale.

Even with a pristine OG copy like that, the game sold 12+ million copies. It's not exactly rare.
Jan 22, 2017
429 posts
1369 upvotes
To grade a 9.8 it was likely pulled from a sealed shipping box.
Which means nothing else considered there are 5 other copies that will coming to market.
This is Spider-Man on Atari 2600 all over again...
It's a speculative bubble plain and simple.