Shopping Discussion

FS: WD 250GB Pricing Error (?! Issue in store)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2005 5:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
27 upvotes

FS: WD 250GB Pricing Error (?! Issue in store)

I just picked up a WD 250GB in FS @ Hwy 7 & Warden.... I must say I am so lucky to see one on the counter and no one seems to care about it (usually the HDs are locked up!)

So I grabbed it and went pay for it. But to my surprise, they charged me $269.99+tax instead of $204.99+tax as shown on their web page.

The gal @ CS was pain in the butt, and kinda rude. But could be after dealing w/ whole day of returns and getting so tired... but still... why pissed at me? Anyways, I told her the FS web show price 204.99 + a MIR. But I was charged 269.99 instead. At first she said, the difference is because of the MIR, then saying the MIR is in USD and must be the exchange rate... I said no no no.. and try to show her the web page, at first, there are some resistance, but then finally I was able to show her the page. meanwhile she tried all kind of excuses, like is this limited qty, nope, is this a door crasher, nope (I am not sure, but the other gal said no to all her questions)

But then she (and another gal in CS dept) said because online (i.e. FS.ca) is OOS, and therefore they cannot PM it. WTH?!! Then they try to say only the first X customers will get the extra $65 discount. But then there is nothing on the web indicating that. SO check checked the flyer and looking at the 120GB ad and trying to read all the fine prints.. haha! Then after I have some "discussions" with her, she just paged the store manager and walked away and started helping other customer while having my receipts.... 5 minutes later, she paged the store mgr again, but no one shows up....

Then someone told her the store mgr was taking a break and not in the store... (Great!) then after some more time wasting waiting, a CSR from computer dept walked by and said sure it is ok to PM the price w/ FS.ca. it is OUR company.... (which she wouldn't listen to me at the first place)

Then finally she did the pricing correction for me... On the way out, another FS CSR (from computer dept, see my side note below) told me it was an error on FS.ca website and is the store manager give me the favour (whatever!) and said the price is going to change on their web tonight.... (Will see about THAT!)

So, overall I have spent 30+ minutes in the store and spent atleast 22 minutes just try to get the price correction (From the time of my orginal purchase to the time of the credit note printed)

Gosh!

So, if you are lucky to grab a WD250GB in store, make sure you check the price FIRST....

----

On the side note. The CSR at computer dept was so surprise when I took the 250GB HD to him and said I want to paid for it. He said he was looking for one himself, and wanted to put one away for himself afterwork.... And ask me where I found the HD.. I told him it was about 5 ft away when he was helping another customer (and while I was waiting)....

Interesting storey eh? :)
8 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23788 posts
5464 upvotes
where I belong
Whew, for a moment I thought there's another CHEAP CHEAP Pricing error HD (ie. 160GB for $15 After Rebate)

Western Digital 250gig HD $129.99 at BB
showthread.php?t=127306&highlight=250gb
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
27 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:Whew, for a moment I thought there's another CHEAP CHEAP Pricing error HD (ie. 160GB for $15 After Rebate)
Haha, I wish! I missed out on that one too. ;)
jerryhung wrote: Western Digital 250gig HD $129.99 at BB
showthread.php?t=127306&highlight=250gb

Well, if FS won't even PM their own website because it is OOS, I don't think they will PM BB (Plus they said they don't PM MIRs, but that was before)

BTW, there is *NO* price correction on the web as I was told... The $65 discount still there... (haha if I have time maybe I should just go back there and show them to prove they are wrong!)

Meanwhile my 250GB from BB also get "released" still thinking if I should keep the second 250GB... (RAID 1 would be nice, but...... hummm....)
Mar 21, 2004
62 posts
8 upvotes
Kamloops
I bought the 250G in Edmonton at Best Buy for $204.99. Both B.B. and F.S. had lots in stock on the 27th with a sign for that price when I got mine. Sent in the rebate for $60 U.S.

The price on the F.S web is still $204.99 tonight but showing O.O.S. However there is stock in 3 of the Edmonton stores.

Same price on B.B. website but with 95 in stock on line and 3 stores have stock.

M.I.R. applies at both F.S. and B.B. to bring price down to ~$130.00
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
27 upvotes
Peter_O wrote:I bought the 250G in Edmonton at Best Buy for $204.99. Both B.B. and F.S. had lots in stock on the 27th with a sign for that price when I got mine. Sent in the rebate for $60 U.S.

The price on the F.S web is still $204.99 tonight but showing O.O.S. However there is stock in 3 of the Edmonton stores.

Same price on B.B. website but with 95 in stock on line and 3 stores have stock.

M.I.R. applies at both F.S. and B.B. to bring price down to ~$130.00
Yes. I know. Just that gal @ CS dept don't feels like is an error on their store price when showing w/o the $65 discount (IR)... and refused to chagre me $204.99 before MIR...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1958 posts
575 upvotes
Calgary
They tried to charge me $269.99 as well at the Shawnessy Store in Calgary.

I paid for everything else (long lines) and took the drive (was last one) to computer repair desk where they have a computer with online access.

Once answering 100 times (no not $204 with rebate, before rebate) they finally look at the website, compared model numbers and overrode the price.

Total time: 30 minutes.

Worth it IMO, now Xbox is happy since the 120GB was full :)