Computers & Electronics

FTTN cable outside. Does it affect speed?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 11:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1056 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal

FTTN cable outside. Does it affect speed?

Recently installed Virgin FTTN 50MB down 10MB up in Montreal. Box is on the back of duplex.Instead of running cable through the apartment, we ran the cable from the back, up on the roof to the front and through the living room window. At first speed was constant at 50 but for the last few days can't go over 25 down and 4 up, at different times and tested over the last week. does the cold degrade speed?

Thank you.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8743 posts
4357 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Is it cable (vs. telco) technology? If so, probably overloaded node.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1423 posts
1069 upvotes
Québec
redflag5050 wrote: Not cable.
Cold temp affect metal connector. It may degrade your link. Do you know the distance from the fiberoptic JWI ?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1720 posts
1194 upvotes
Barrie ON
thriftshopper wrote: Is it cable (vs. telco) technology? If so, probably overloaded node.
redflag5050 wrote: Not cable.
I guess that is your way of saying it is "telco" or ADSL, which is carried on your phone line. Knowing you have FTTN does not provide that information, and I am not familiar with what type of service Virgin provides.

So the interesting question is why did the installer run a new line outside, when your house is most likely pre-wired with phone jacks in several rooms.

Also, was there a reason why you needed the equipment in the front of the house? Since most people use Wi-Fi for everything these days, the router could be placed anywhere.

It is also interesting that you are noticing speed variations which normally don't occur with ADSL.

There seems to be something missing.!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1423 posts
1069 upvotes
Québec
Rick007 wrote: I guess that is your way of saying it is "telco" or ADSL, which is carried on your phone line. Knowing you have FTTN does not provide that information, and I am not familiar with what type of service Virgin provides.

So the interesting question is why did the installer run a new line outside, when your house is most likely pre-wired with phone jacks in several rooms.

Also, was there a reason why you needed the equipment in the front of the house? Since most people use Wi-Fi for everything these days, the router could be placed anywhere.

It is also interesting that you are noticing speed variations which normally don't occur with ADSL.

There seems to be something missing.!
???

ADSL profile will drop to lower speed if the signal is unstable.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1720 posts
1194 upvotes
Barrie ON
elgros4 wrote: ???

This is true, but it normally doesn't change with the time of day like cable provided internet.

The cable could be of poor quality, it could be too long, it could have a poor connection, or it may be getting wet (internally), amongst other things.

The fact that the speed change is intermittent, suggests a poor connection or a water related problem as the weather changes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2009
1056 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal
Tech came today. Turns out there is only 1 line working,whatever that means. Not an issue with cabling or box but more with Bell's network from exchange to pole. Bell advised and will repair on Monday. WAN light on modem should turn blue after repair (currently red).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6958 posts
4573 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: ???

If the speed was 50 meg down then then it was VDSL not ADSL.

The DSLAM will automatically map out the interference if possible + Telco has an optimization utility that automatically adjusts speed if there are issues on the loop.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6958 posts
4573 upvotes
redflag5050 wrote: Tech came today. Turns out there is only 1 line working,whatever that means. Not an issue with cabling or box but more with Bell's network from exchange to pole. Bell advised and will repair on Monday. WAN light on modem should turn blue after repair (currently red).
You may have had a bonded VDSL line where two VDSL lines are bonded together for stable higher speed.
If one of the pairs went open or bad you were down to one VDSL pair and the bonded group became un-usable.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1423 posts
1069 upvotes
Québec
plymouthhater wrote: You may have had a bonded VDSL line where two VDSL lines are bonded together for stable higher speed.
If one of the pairs went open or bad you were down to one VDSL pair and the bonded group became un-usable.
Yes, that why the tech said one line.