• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2020 12:17 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
125 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg

Fuel Efficient hatchback/sleeper

*Update: Summer / +10 sleeping only :) This is for summer weekend adventures, or whatever, where I want to save on hotel / camping fees/ hassels. :) I am curious about some of the wagon's mentioned, but they seem to use 2x the fuel as the hatchbacks.

Looking at getting my first car in the spring, and wanting a combo of the most affordable/best mileage combined with something I can sleep in, (I'm 5'4) I'll build a platform if needed to create a level surface. I've seen some online recommendations, I'm trying to figure out the length from the closed hatch door, to where the back of the pulled up front seats, for the following cars:
2019/20 Chevrolet Spark
2019/20 Mitsubishi Mirage
2019/20 Hyundai Accent
2019/20 Nissan Versa Note 

Wondering if anyone can help me out with info?
Of have you found a comfortable economy car to sleep in?
Thanks!
Last edited by Aqueya on Dec 14th, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
38 replies
Oct 26, 2014
114 posts
72 upvotes
Bradford, ON
Have you considered Jetta Wagon TDI? They still have good post-Dieselgate warranty for most of the important/issue prone components and don't have to mention the obvious benefits of the Wagon :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28794 posts
9266 upvotes
LOL this is not what is meant by the automotive term "sleeper".
neluabaclia wrote: Have you considered Jetta Wagon TDI? They still have good post-Dieselgate warranty for most of the important/issue prone components and don't have to mention the obvious benefits of the Wagon :)
But yeah if you're planning on actually sleeping in a car, in winter, a diesel is recommended. Gasoline engines shouldn't really be idled for hours on end, but diesels it's fine really and much less fuel will be consumed too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35543 posts
21600 upvotes
Center of Universe
Trying to do the vanlife in a subcompact?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28967 posts
14560 upvotes
Toronto
I thought op is referring to a 500+ hp monster “sleeper”. 🤣
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2577 posts
1987 upvotes
Toronto
Why do you want to sleep in it? All the time like those youtube videos or just sometimes? Why not get a used SUV which would be cheaper and much bigger.
Oct 3, 2017
893 posts
726 upvotes
And in summer sleeping in the back in a buggy area (all of Canada) on a warm humid summer evening would be horrible.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5402 posts
2934 upvotes
Toronto
Not fun sleeping in a small honda civic hatch back in uni days.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2513 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
You only have certain months you want to sleep inside
Other months it's too hot or too cold
May 3, 2010
190 posts
68 upvotes
Brampton
Golf is very practical and roomy in terms of cargo when the seats are unfolded down. Or golf Sportwagen which is mini wagon and huge room for sleeping cargo capacity.
Images
  • 0C8C34DF-5A02-4C65-B92B-934648273E0F.jpeg
Oct 26, 2014
114 posts
72 upvotes
Bradford, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL this is not what is meant by the automotive term "sleeper".
I know right! But given the options provided by OP, a properly tuned 2.0 TDI engine can be quite a sleeper compared to a Mirage or Chevy Spark Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16176 posts
4988 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL this is not what is meant by the automotive term "sleeper".
But yeah if you're planning on actually sleeping in a car, in winter, a diesel is recommended. Gasoline engines shouldn't really be idled for hours on end, but diesels it's fine really and much less fuel will be consumed too.
Will a diesel generate enough heat at idle in winter? I thought TDI has some kind of supplemental electric heater ?
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
125 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
True as per cost, though I'm not sure about repairs, and gas mileage.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
125 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
Glad I could give yas a giggle. :)
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
125 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'd be temtped.. the Golf hatchback I had as a rental this summer was one of the most uncomfortable a slew of cars I tried. Still.. I'd test drive one.
Thanks. That back end does look perfect. It all comes down to the mileage!
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
125 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg
It's mainly to have a place to crash when I'm out hiking, or whatever. I'm looking forward to running away from cities on the weekends, without necessarily wanting to camp. Also, with a small air mattress I think Id' be much more comfortable in a car than in a tent. I could be wrong... Mainly this is a way to get out, have fun, enjoy nature, and avoid hotels / being a distance limit to getting back home. Also, need to do this on a budget.
Feb 14, 2010
560 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Just get an used Toyota Prius and turn it into a camper. 50MPG easy.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2353 posts
838 upvotes
Burnaby
capability > fuel efficiency, even most SUV's have technology that beats compacts from 10-15 years ago. with those tiny tires on the subcompact you are bound to get stuck somewhere if you venture off the beaten path unless you only plan to go where there are paved/gravel parking lots. keep in mind that while fuel mileage may be good the tank may be tiny.

The Subaru Crosstrek, invest in some better tires and it'll probably get you to most places you want to go
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2351 posts
783 upvotes
Whitehorse
Don't waste your money on a Spark.

Do you really drive so much that you need a fuel efficient car? Depending on your mileage and the gas prices in your area, you may get a better bang for your buck with a used SUV or wagon, even factoring in the higher fuel cost.

I was once like you, looking for a compact vehicle to save on gas. Then I ran the math, and I've been happy with an old CR-V for many years now. Repairs where cheap at independent garages. The vehicle is incredibly useful and versatile. I've gone places I never could have reached with a fuel efficient car. And the compact car would probably be done for by now anyway.

I would look for old CR-Vs and Outbacks. For a single person at 5'4, a Crosstrek could do the trick.

As for German cars: They are usually fine, but keep in mind that your choice of garages may be reduced and spare parts may be pricey.