• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2022 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
@Qwesty905 I think I could cope with paying full price if I didn't suspect another one was around the corner. IIRC they release updated hardware every 1.75-3 years
Apr 27, 2017
465 posts
381 upvotes
I think it would probably be another 2 years until another x100

This last one has been real good

I've had the x100 and x100f
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2989 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
How can I actually buy the x100V? Sold out everywhere. Been checking for a few monhts while I was in the US. Not sure how it works in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
Vistek and Henrys have it on order.

At least it's on order and you can try purchasing it?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2989 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
poorwingman wrote: Vistek and Henrys have it on order.

At least it's on order and you can try purchasing it?
Ah thanks I'll give it a shot.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
2315 posts
578 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone got an x100f with issues on the physical M-C-S focus switch?
I noticed my switch does not work sometimes (stuck on C), but randomly works again later.

My warranty is out so I don't think I will get it fixed if it costs hundreds.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Leshita wrote: Anyone got an x100f with issues on the physical M-C-S focus switch?
I noticed my switch does not work sometimes (stuck on C), but randomly works again later.

My warranty is out so I don't think I will get it fixed if it costs hundreds.
You might be surprised. I had an X-T1 fixed by Fuji Canada (their official repair agent) for C$86 since it was purely a mechanical repair, basically 1hr shop charge and a $4 set of screws.

A wonky switch might just be a simple repair and not too expensive, and worth it for an x100f imho.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
2315 posts
578 upvotes
Vancouver
hoob wrote: You might be surprised. I had an X-T1 fixed by Fuji Canada (their official repair agent) for C$86 since it was purely a mechanical repair, basically 1hr shop charge and a $4 set of screws.

A wonky switch might just be a simple repair and not too expensive, and worth it for an x100f imho.
Thanks, might just give it a try. :)
My EVF curtain is also stuck (can't go up), but I just "fixed" that myself by sticking some stickers over the viewfinder glass in front.
Aug 9, 2012
38 posts
67 upvotes
Hi all,

I would like to get my first camera after using smartphones my whole life (primarily Google Pixel series).

Focus will be mainly on taking pictures of family and scenery during hikes, travel, etc.

Looking for something that should surpass smartphones for a good few years while also not being too bulky and expensive. Also not interested in tweaking pictures too much (so mainly focussing on a good JPEG experience). Would prefer not having more than a couple of lenses.

Looking to spend ~1.5k+tax.

Fujifilm seems to be the brand that fits the bill the best. After doing some research I have narrowed down to the X-S10.

- High end specs (same internals as higher end XT-4)
- IBIS
- Ergonomic without being too big
- Good amount of film simulations for JPEG

I am debating whether to go for the XF 18-55mm kit (pricy at $1775+tax) or get the body and buy XC 35mm separately ($1550+tax). Zoom seems more versatile while prime would produce better quality pictures. Since I am a first time camera owner, I am leaning towards the zoom, even though it pushes the budget a bit. Any sales or discounts I can try to take advantage of (seems unlikely given the supply shortages all around)?

Would appreciate any advice!
Jul 20, 2003
292 posts
93 upvotes
Welcome to the fuji community. I think you nailed it already, X-S10 + 18-55 kit is probably the best way to go.

However, just a few thoughts:
1. if shooting only jpgs, sometimes especially in high dynamic range & low light scenes, cameras will struggle to produce more pleasing images than high end smartphones like Pixel series SOOC.... these days high end smartphones often come with 3 prime lenses, with computational photography, and raw support, to get the most out of a "real" camera, sometimes post processing in raw may be necessary. I say this as a huge fuji fan with 3 fuji bodies, and I think smartphone photos suck in most cases, but sometimes I can see how some would prefer SOOC jpgs from a smartphone phone over a camera especially without pixel peeping. Not to mention the convenience of smartphones....

2. Is IBIS a must? For taking pictures of family, like kids running around, IBIS is useless. It helps for videos for sure, but back to smartphone argument again, videos from iPhone, even the new Pixel 6, are so good these days with gimble like stabilization and HDR. It's not that easy to get better videos SOOC using a camera. If IBIS is not a must, that opens the door to a lot of cheaper options. Even a 2-3 generations old used camera are still very capable, maybe except for the AF performance.

3. Re: prime lenses, if you know you like the 35mm focal length (nifty fifty equiv), XC35 is a great choice. There are so many 3rd party lenses to choose from now, both AF and MF, some may be even better than fuji's offer, like the ultra sharp Sigma 56mm f1.4. If you're OK with manual focusing, maybe check out some cheap chinese lenses as well, they are not the sharpest wide open, but full of characters. They are often based on vintage glass recipes such as Zeiss Sonnar, dirt cheap and very fast. One of my camera is a 10 year old X-E1 I got from ebay, with a cheap chinese 25mm f1.8 lens attached to it permanently. The whole thing cost less than $250 and I still use it all the time.
Aug 9, 2012
38 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks @victorinoxs for the in depth response and warm welcome! Really appreciate it.

1. That's interesting. When the Pixel camera's defaults work they look amazing (usually the case for landscape or very low light pictures), but when it doesn't then there is no way for me to easily tweak it. For example, I may be in the minority but pictures of people always look bad on the Pixel for me. It seems to really oversharpen pictures and there is no way to control that. I imagine I would be able to control these things on the camera?

2. Ever since I moved to my first smartphone with OIS I couldn't imagine going back before it, so I kind of just defaulted to picking a body with IBIS. Would IBIS help in taking pictures of adults and when outdoors? A cheaper body I saw was XE-4 with 27mm for $1350 which also looked enticing, but IBIS and ergonomics were the only things keeping me from it. Unfortunately I am limited to new cameras because I will be expensing part of it through a work bonus.

3. How would a prime compare to XF 18-55 mm in quality? Main reason I was leaning towards the zoom was while the other lenses I can buy at any time, the zoom bundled with cam is ~$500 extra while unbundled is ~$900!

Thanks again for all your help!
Jul 20, 2003
292 posts
93 upvotes
@infiniteloop
1. Completely agree!! I had a Pixel 3, and now a Pixel 6 Pro, I find the pictures are indeed extremely over-sharpened/processed, HDR to the max, horrible skin tone. I now shoot RAW+JPG on my Pixel 6 Pro....if I am not too lazy, I'll edit the raw files to get better results. One good thing about Pixel raw files is that all the computational magic is baked into the raw file....but editing raw files from a smartphone kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone camera..... There used to be an option to disable and/or choose the level of HDR, but Google removed that option so the camera is completely idiot proof......

2. IBIS will help if the shutter speed drops below a certain point, for example, taking pictures of adults in low light conditions. In bright outdoor conditions, your shutter speed is usually fast enough that IBIS won't do much. Regardless, IBIS is definitely nice to have and X-S10 is the probably best way to go. Although for some Fuji hardcore fans, physical dials (such as that found on X-T30II) are much more preferrable than PASM control on the X-S10. One would argue that stills shooting experience is much better with physical dials. For hybrid shooter it's a nobrainer, get the X-S10.

3. Prime lenses are not always better than zoom lenses in terms of image quality. XF 18-55 is a very good lens, especially if you get a good copy. It's probably the best "kit lens" ever made, period. Prime lenses are usually faster (large aperture), so you can shoot with faster shutter speed, and achieve shallower depth of field. Prime lenses usually consist of fewer elements, i.e. light doesn't have to travel through so many glasses to hit the sensor. Also, since a prime lens is designed specifically for a fixed focal length, in theory, a good prime lens will often outperform a zoom of the same class. However, modern lenses nowadays are all plenty sharp, all very decent, espeically fuji lenses. The image quality difference between prime & zoom is quite small. Some people like shooting prime, just to get that shallow depth of filed (blurry background), better low light performance...some enjoy shooting with limitation (fixed focal length) and find that freeing, no need to worry about zooming, once you get used to the focal length, you'll know exactly what the camera will see before you even turn on the camera. Maybe just play with XF 18-55 first, and see how you like the various focal lengths before committing to a prime. In the end it's all about your preferences and shooting style.
Jun 2, 2007
637 posts
849 upvotes
GTA
Has anyone been to the Vistek warehouse sale? It's starting this weekend, wondering if there are usually good deals to be had in-store vs online.
Don't forget to like and subscribe! 😎👍
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What's a fair price for a lightly used X-T20 with the XF 18-55mm kit lens?
Dec 30, 2006
193 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I’m keen to hear if you ended up getting an X-S10. If so, where from? I’m looking also but I cannot find any stock anywhere!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
hoob wrote: Wondering if the X-T30 ii will be in stock any time soon ... finally time to upgrade the X-T1 to something something.
mapboy wrote: I’m keen to hear if you ended up getting an X-S10. If so, where from? I’m looking also but I cannot find any stock anywhere!

No X-S10 in stock anywhere, but two weeks ago I snagged an Amazon Warehouse Deal version of it for 15% off list. Single unit came in and my alert notified me so I grabbed it immediately. Camera seems mint but open box.

Also picked up a XF 16mm prime WR OIS last month. Combo should be a good travel landscape pair, keeping my old X-T1 as backup body and 2nd camera with the 10-24 or the long zoom.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses