• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 10:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 18, 2018
1 posts

Full cream

Hi can someone please tell me when a pasta recipe is asking for 1 cup cream,or full cream or double cream which cream are they referring to. I know there's cool whip which is used in desserts and there's half and half which is used in coffee. There are soo many amazing recipes but whenever it asks for cream I just pass it over because I don't know which cream or brand they want. I live in Toronto, Canada if that helps. Thanks for replying in advance.
Sara
19 replies
Apr 18, 2017
489 posts
337 upvotes
It differs by country, but generally its about 35% fat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream#Canada

In Canada 'cream' would be whipping cream.
Whipping cream in Ontario contains stabilizers that some people find off putting. You can make a cream substitute for cooking by adding melted butter to whole milk instead.
I use about 1/3 cup of butter to 3/4 cup of milk.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8355 posts
4320 upvotes
Sounds like a good tasting recipe but very rich. A bit off topic, but unless you are faithful to the recipe you can always cheat and use a lower fat cream like half and half and probably still end up with a fabulous dish.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7253 posts
4485 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Also, I recommend buying whipping cream and using that for your desserts instead of cool whip (gross). It is extremely easy to whip your own cream with a mixer.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13872 posts
8938 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just don't over whip ya'll!
Chickinvic wrote: Also, I recommend buying whipping cream and using that for your desserts instead of cool whip (gross). It is extremely easy to whip your own cream with a mixer.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7253 posts
4485 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Just don't over whip ya'll!
Then you get a bit of buttery chunks:) Whipped cream is awesome though, and so superior to anything like Cool Whip.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6234 posts
648 upvotes
BC
Whipping cream is what you want to use, not already whipped, which is called whipped cream, such as cool whip ;) It thickens nicely and it will not separate at higher temps like milk or half and half would.
That's my 2cents worth
Mar 22, 2015
159 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Keelie wrote: which is called whipped cream, such as cool whip ;)
Cool Whip is a non-dairy "whipped topping". It's hydrogenated oil.
The store bought equivalent of real whipped cream would be stuff like
albeit with a bunch of stabilizers and thickeners added to it, but still not as revolting as Cool Whip.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6234 posts
648 upvotes
BC
lookingfortv wrote: Cool Whip is a non-dairy "whipped topping". It's hydrogenated oil.
albeit with a bunch of stabilizers and thickeners added to it, but still not as revolting as Cool Whip.
I was pointing out the difference between whipping and whipped. I do know cool whip is not real cream.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3338 posts
61 upvotes
GTA
Seen many of people's mouth to nozzle on those. Not good like the Tide Pods.
lookingfortv wrote: Cool Whip is a non-dairy "whipped topping". It's hydrogenated oil.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6948 posts
1668 upvotes
Noticed Lactantia Cooking Cream at Metro. 35% milk fat. Is formulated to resist curdling when heated.
May 7, 2008
709 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
Some recipes might be ok but cheating is why some stuff in Ontario just don't taste as good. In most parts of the USA - "heavy cream" is 40% M.F. That 5% makes a difference in a lot of recipes - for me noticeably in French cooking. Essentially that less milk fat turns into 9% more water/liquid which can ruin a simple dish like potatoes dauphinoise. Not easy to make adjustments for. Don't understand why we don't get 40% M.F. here - glad at least we know can get 84% fat butter instead of having to settle for the crappy 80% fat butter.
Fat is good people!

choclover wrote: Sounds like a good tasting recipe but very rich. A bit off topic, but unless you are faithful to the recipe you can always cheat and use a lower fat cream like half and half and probably still end up with a fabulous dish.
Jun 2, 2012
321 posts
303 upvotes
NORTH YORK
In my experience organic whipping cream at least by Organic Harmony and Harmony Organic generally doesn’t contain additives. If that is a concern. Just pure cream.

In a lot of dishes I substitute a high fat sour cream instead and it’s quite good as well and less likely to curdle at least in experience.

Adding a little bit of the hot liquid to the cream first and bringing up the temperature of the cream that way also seems to help prevent curdling.
Apr 18, 2017
489 posts
337 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Noticed Lactantia Cooking Cream at Metro. 35% milk fat. Is formulated to resist curdling when heated.
nice!
do you remember if it had carrageenan, or other emulsifiers/stabilizers added?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9513 posts
3796 upvotes
Toronto
qman23 wrote: nice!
yes, most companies (aka sobs) have jumped aboard the adulterated cream train. if we just want cream we now have to shell out extra for brands harmony.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3965 posts
1843 upvotes
Mississauga
Chickinvic wrote: Also, I recommend buying whipping cream and using that for your desserts instead of cool whip (gross). It is extremely easy to whip your own cream with a mixer.
Cool Whip has its purpose. Its really meant as a low calorie substitute. There are other low calorie alternatives, that do not come with a pharmacy lab on the ingredient list, but they are more than double the price.
Having said that, you are right, nothing beat a real whipped cream
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2186 posts
1413 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Well for those of you who remember or know about "clotted cream" or "double cream", there is a supplier in Mississauga:

https://abitofhome.ca/info/retail-store.html
https://abitofhome.ca/fridge-freezer/th ... cream.html - 55% MF
https://abitofhome.ca/fridge-freezer/th ... results=82 - 40% MF

I miss my Alberta days and shopping at Woodwards where we bought our Devonshire Cream. - So thick you could stand a spoon in it.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6948 posts
1668 upvotes
Most Metro stores also stock clotted cream.

Liberte makes a delicious Creme Fraiche, as does Riviera,
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27310 upvotes
I had saved this link and forgot all about it until I was searching in my online recipe folder.

Cooking Substitutes
Heavy whipping cream in soups, pastas and sauces creates a full-bodied flavor and thick consistency while adding unnecessary levels of fat and calories. For a similar consistency and taste in savory dishes, add low-fat cream cheese instead of the whipping cream. At 120 calories and 9 grams of fat per 2-ounce serving, low-fat cream cheese keeps the meal healthier than it would be with heavy whipping cream. Use half the amount the recipe calls for when subbing in cream cheese. To keep the calories even lower, mix 1 percent milk with cornstarch -- at a 1-cup to 1-tablespoon ratio -- and use it as you would heavy whipping cream. The milk and cornstarch mixture thickens the food and works well in sweet dishes where the sour flavor of cream cheese is undesirable.

Universal Substitute
Fat-free half-and-half is a suitable substitute for heavy whipping cream in almost any situation. It is considerably healthier with 127 calories, 3 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat and 6 grams of protein per fluid cup. Like 1 percent milk, fat-free half-and-half whips into a fluffy topping. It also thickens sauces, soups and pastas while adding a creamy flavor.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/healthy ... -2136.html
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6948 posts
1668 upvotes
qman23 wrote: nice!
Yes it does have carageenan. Maybe guar gum too. I'll check the carton.

I made a cream sauce for pasta tonight, it has tricky ingredients like lemon, mustard, capers and often curdles. Absolutely no curdling and the sauce was very silky and smooth. I'll buy this cream again.