Shopping Discussion

Full set of Appliances- what are my best options?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 11:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2548 posts
588 upvotes
GTA

Full set of Appliances- what are my best options?

Bought a house that will need complete set.
Fridge, stove, oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer.
Probably total spend will be 10-15k depending on the models we end up choosing

What are my top options?
I can buy them all via my HELOC and pay the interest
Or
Use interest free credit cards that the big box stores offer.

Would a place like CAS Appliances offer a big enough discount to off-set the interest free a big box store could offer?
Does anyone have store recommendations? I am in Richmond Hill

Thanks in advance
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $5758.00
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2744 posts
1943 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Depends on when you'll be repaying them.

The interest free programs or store credit cards (gotta watch out now since they often have 'admin fees' which is basically their way of charging interest) are good if you know you can pay back the purchase within the interest free period. However, if you don't - or you miss a payment (for example) you can sometimes get dinged on full interest from purchase date. Depends on the TOC.

Negative of using the store program is that is another credit application on your file, which could have a negative impact on your credit score. Likely not a big deal if you've just done a big purchase such as a house, but still...

Use an interest calculator to figure out approximately what you'd be paying in interest, and do the math.

Personally, if you already have the HELOC there, at about $1/day in interest, I'd just do that instead of filling out even more paperwork at the retgailer.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10919 posts
7244 upvotes
GTA, ON
It depends on what brands and models you're looking at, and whether you're going to buy them from all the same store.

You can always try the independents like Quan's or Billa Appliances. There's the larger appliance stores like Goeman's or Appliance Canada. Then there's your regular big box stores.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2548 posts
588 upvotes
GTA
ALLCAPS wrote: Depends on when you'll be repaying them.

The interest free programs or store credit cards (gotta watch out now since they often have 'admin fees' which is basically their way of charging interest) are good if you know you can pay back the purchase within the interest free period. However, if you don't - or you miss a payment (for example) you can sometimes get dinged on full interest from purchase date. Depends on the TOC.

Negative of using the store program is that is another credit application on your file, which could have a negative impact on your credit score. Likely not a big deal if you've just done a big purchase such as a house, but still...

Use an interest calculator to figure out approximately what you'd be paying in interest, and do the math.

Personally, if you already have the HELOC there, at about $1/day in interest, I'd just do that instead of filling out even more paperwork at the retgailer.
Plan is to fully pay off within the terms.
Interest calculator will be best.

I did go to Billa once and they were good. I wonder if they will help if I did a large purchase like this.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $5758.00
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4744 posts
554 upvotes
Burlington
Bought from Quan's before many ages ago and no issues. Currently have an order with Coast Appliances - shall see how that one goes.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14977 posts
12105 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ALLCAPS wrote: Depends on when you'll be repaying them.

This

The trick here is to pay as little interest as possible.
Ideally, one would want to pay cash and be done.
Or ... buy on Credit, and pay off the bill when it arrives.

Some places may give a discount for not using credit, and paying upfront in cash.
ALWAYS ASK

If using plastic, and paying off immediately in full ... then use a CC that makes that worthwhile thru either Cash Back or other incentives (Loyalty Points or Miles)

If it’s a case of you do have to pay for this over time
Then look at options with the lowest interest rate (AND Fees )

Your HE Line of Credit, is a good option in that it allows you to shop around
And buy what you what, where & when you want
Not tying you down to one store

Store CCs, usually have “a catch”
And that’s high interest rates & fees
It’s ok to PLAY THE GAME as long as you know how the whole thing works
0% interest is awesome, as long as there is no fee for paying off early
Or you don’t get trapped by a default if you miss a payment or go the whole term
(Reread the excellent reply by @ALLCAPS )

As to where to buy ...

Used to be Sears Canada was the best place to get appliances ... for Pricing, Sales Service, Returns, Warranty, Delivery, Installation, Haul Away and After Sales Service / Maintenance & Repairs

Now that is Costco.
But like everywhere else ... a good lot of this list now has separate charges ... like Delivery, Installation & Haul Away
(And rare too to find a Wet Appliance ... that comes with hoses either )

We’ve had excellent luck with Lowes ... as far as the Big Box DIY Stores go
And wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again

Chain Stores ... esp the big national chains like Leons, The Brick, CAS Appliances, etc
Tend to have issues (GOOGLE for horror stories)
I definitely wouldn’t buy anything from The Brick

Regional / Local Chains are hit & miss
Some are better than others
(Brault & Martineau - Corbeil - Trail Appliances )

Smaller Mom & Pop Furniture Stores can be ok too
But again, do your research

There are many threads on RFD about buying Appliances
See the HOME & GARDEN FORUM = home-garden-f53/
(Prob where the Mods will move this thread too )

Don’t get trapped into thinking you got to buy a complete suite by one manufacturer
It’s a bad idea
Sure you’ll save some $
But it ups your chances of getting one or more appliance in the suite that is a Lemon

Best to research each appliance separately
And buy those that are independently well rated (like Consumers Reports vs a Manufacturers Website )
Buy the best you can afford in each category

Realize that some manufacturers do one thing better than others
For example, Maytag excels at Wet Appliances (Washers & DWs)
But they don’t do so well for Stoves
Likewise Frigidaire does good for Stoves & Fridges
Not so much for DWs
This is why not buying a suite is best
All the appliances will coordinate fine if you go for similar finishes
Stainless, White or Black are the easiest colours to coordinate

Also appliances like everything else have a sales cycle
So there’s a best time to buy
As well as a range of standard pricing on each model (low - medium - high )
By doing your research you’ll learn the price range
The lowest annual pricing is often around Black Friday
Which falls at the end of the Appliance Year
(New models come in the Fall... so they are clearing out last years models)

https://www.moneycrashers.com/best-time ... ppliances/

Lastly ...
Just like there are some stores better than others to buy from
There are also some brands who are worth staying away from too
LG & Samsung are known for introducing new models annually
With lots of wonderful new gadgets & gizmos
BUT ... they have a horrible reputation when it comes to after sales service & repairs
They change models soooo frequently that they just stop making parts to support older items
That’s a HUGE PROBLEM
Cuz when these Appliances breakdown you cannot get them repaired
This is also part of the reason that they say on average an Appliance lasts 7 years
Manufacturers like these ... pull the average way down
Not unusual to find reviews where owners have found themselves with an appliance they cannot fix in Year 2 to 5
And it’s got to be junked
And one has to buy another fridge, stove, DW, or W&D set again
That’s RIDICULOUS ... let alone CRAZY EXPENSIVE
So do your homework
And shop wisely

Recent thread on buying Appliance Suites
kitchen-appliance-recommendation-2387331/