Students

Is a full time MBA worth it? thinking of Queens, Ivey or Laurier

[OP]
Feb 1, 2020
93 posts
21 upvotes

Is a full time MBA worth it? thinking of Queens, Ivey or Laurier

I am in my late 20s from Canada. Studied engineering in undergrad and been working in supply chain since graduating 5 years ago. Been thinking of making a career change and think maybe I could do an MBA. Not sure yet what i want to switch to.

Started looking at these 3 universities. I am based in toronto and want to get out of the city as i already did my undergrad in Toronto.

Which of these 3 universities do you recommend for an MBA? I heard good things about queens and ivey but laurier is much cheaper. I heard also the Lazaridis school has a very strong reputation.
2 replies
Mar 7, 2008
586 posts
150 upvotes
Leask
I won't quit a job to go full time.

I took a EMBA program, most of the student (except for one), were all employed or running a business. For the guy that ain't working, I personally didn't take the guy seriously as he just seem to want the title.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4500 posts
1763 upvotes
Ancaster
THINKPOD wrote: I won't quit a job to go full time.

I took a EMBA program, most of the student (except for one), were all employed or running a business. For the guy that ain't working, I personally didn't take the guy seriously as he just seem to want the title.
I fully agree. I only know one person who has done theirs full-time and they were in the workforce for a year after their undergraduate, so the opportunity cost was next to non-existent relative to their existing earning power. I would also add, that he should see about reaching out to people in the field you want to move into. They will be able to tell you how well the MBA would be valued. When I did mine, it was an EMBA and employer sponsored. I asked someone I trusted in a senior position to give his candid thoughts on it and his take was more or less "It's not a requirement to advance your career, but it won't hurt and it's something to do until we are ready to further develop you, so why not?". If I had to pay my own money and put my earnings on pause after 5 years? Hell no.