Full time permanent jobs that can be done from abroad

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 9:22 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2018
213 posts
43 upvotes

Full time permanent jobs that can be done from abroad

With maybe quarterly on site visits if necessary. There's eligibility to work in Canada on a permanent basis. What's the best way to find such jobs? Field is Information Technology....

No freelance - has to be full time permanent with benefits stock options etc
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7910 posts
2279 upvotes
Toronto
Not a chance. Why will they hire you when they can outsource the job to India for cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4742 posts
5937 upvotes
This subject seems to pop up every now and then and each time the same responses are usually given...
Unless you're applying for your local GeeK Squad chat support then good luck getting security clearance w/o Canadian residency.
Then again, good luck getting a simple background check if you are on foreign soil.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4742 posts
5937 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Not a chance. Why will they hire you when they can outsource the job to India for cheaper.
Last time I used the word "outsource" in this section I was accused of being something that rhymes w/ "stylist". :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
The only jobs that come to mind are in the CS field. Working as chat/phone tech or other support. Many were/are hiring. Pay is typically around $46K and technically you can be anywhere in the World, once you are hired FROM Canada. All you need is stable internet connection, laptop,etc.
Some IT companies do hire coders and such abroad,but they also pay them much less. A lot have been outsourcing to Eastern Europe, as coders and such there are superb. They do pay them much less. Eg. the same company may pay $100K us for a position in California or outsource and pay $40-50K.
Now, if you don't live in Canada right now, good luck...
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
4653 posts
1341 upvotes
GTA
Mrman123 wrote: With maybe quarterly on site visits if necessary. There's eligibility to work in Canada on a permanent basis. What's the best way to find such jobs? Field is Information Technology....

Tech companies like Shopify and Twitter are offering permanent work from home so look at the tech industry.

Covid19 should increase the availability of these types of jobs once the dust settles.
Oct 5, 2019
237 posts
237 upvotes
I think depends on if you mean officially / approved or physically can be done hush hush. A lot of jobs can be done remotely. Software developers for example. But most companies will not hire you in one country knowing you’ll be working from another. There are all sorts of issues with that legally.

Now if you get a job in Canada and the company thinks you are working in Canada, but you are actually physically somewhere else. Well if they don’t know they don’t know. You do run the risk of being caught and all the consequences that come with it though.
Jul 31, 2017
891 posts
436 upvotes
Mrman123 wrote: With maybe quarterly on site visits if necessary. There's eligibility to work in Canada on a permanent basis. What's the best way to find such jobs? Field is Information Technology....

You want benefits but want to live in another country?
Apr 25, 2019
340 posts
170 upvotes

Remote work does not mean work from anywhere. It simply means work from anywhere within the country, there are many legal and compliance issues if we ask the candidate to work from a different country. Also often times, jobs can advertise as remote but it means remote work within a specific state.

Other than that, Canadian tax residency is an issue. If you are non-resident then 25% straight will be withheld from the salary making the offer less attractive. If a company is outsourcing work to workwide audience do note that they do not have any reason to pay salary similar to canadian standards because in India same work can be done at 1/10 of the total cost.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
Heard a podcast the other day with a researcher/instructor from Harvard University talking about working from anywhere as the new way forward. Sounds great conceptually, workers can have a balanced lifestyle traveling the world if they want while being employed. He didn't go into issues that have been called out by a few people already.

Like much of the gig economy, it sounds great but in reality just a way for companies to get work done while not paying a fair wage. I know there are a few sites that connect people from all over the world who need specific projects/tasks done with individuals willing to do it. You bid on a project and need to deliver if accepted. OK, if you are traveling or between jobs but a lot of hustling to keep the pipeline full if thinking of a career.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2362 posts
1762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
badmus wrote: Tech companies like Shopify and Twitter are offering permanent work from home so look at the tech industry.

Covid19 should increase the availability of these types of jobs once the dust settles.
Work from home is different from work in a different country.

For example, I've been working 100% of the time from home since March 2020. In theory, I could travel outside of my home city and still do my work but if the company decided to have all employees (or a certain percentage of employees with rotation being the selection of which employees) return to the office, an employee who doesn't or can't return would be reprimanded and/or perhaps dismissed. Where I used to work, there was an employee who was on pager support (and these employees if paged would be required to return to the office and power on servers, insert back-up tapes into machines, verify cabling, etc.) and he didn't inform their supervisor that he wasn't in the city on the weekends (he just kept the extra $30/day for being on pager support for the weekend). One time there was an emergency on a weekend and he was paged and he couldn't/didn't return to do the part of the job which required him to physically be at the workplace and he was reprimanded.

I personally think that there is very little chance of the original poster finding such a job since if they can hire someone overseas, they would just outsource it to the person and pay less and not include what most Canadians working in Information Technology jobs would expect as benefits.

Where I work, we do have employees who are paid by the company and live in other countries but these jobs are not IT related and these people function more like ambassadors and promoters of the company/institution in the other country. From my understanding of these employee, they get the same benefits as an employee working in Canada (so same pension plan, same medical/health/dental, etc.) but were told when they were hired in Canada that this job is working ~6 months in the other country (and return to Canada to work for ~6 months where they are replaced in the other country by someone else in order to stay within the 6 month rule of Canada or the province to keep their provincial residency for provincial healthcare benefits). For example, we have some employees in Hong Kong and/or China doing this and these are not IT jobs but more like ambassador/promoter jobs.

I don't see a company hiring an IT person permanent & full time (with the same benefits of an employee residing in Canada) and that IT person lives in a different country. If they were going to hire an IT person who lives in a different country, they would outsource and not pay any benefits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)