• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2006 10:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 21, 2005
138 posts

full time summer job for student

ill be graduating from high school in june. i know its kinda early to start looking now but i want to get the good jobs. i have lots of experience with computers. (gonna go for my A+ when i get a chance) i am also the ex manager of an ice cream store, as well as former assistant head kitchen for a large day camp. anyone know of any good paying jobs i could get for the summer?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
2892 posts
430 upvotes
Can tell you from experience the best one would be as a tech at Staples - they do hire students for technician positions. If you can prove you're worthy of hiring, I think you'll get a job there - doesn't pay much but you'll get valuable experience, and first shot at good deals :)

Best of luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4455 posts
51 upvotes
I've seen a few bestbuys in the city with "now hiring" for their Geek Squad. I know the Yorkdale location is for a fact, hiring.
I applied (I was gonna do it for an after-job-job). I am A+, Net+, MCP with active 3 years experience & I was able to get $12/hr (30h/week) You might be able to pull 9-10/hr.

I did get the job, but the training hours conflicted with my career, and I could not make it work :(
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
[/COLOR]
[OP]
Nov 21, 2005
138 posts
geek squad only pays 12/hr with 3 yrs of experience and a+ and net+??????
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
Don't bother. Us university students rape the summer job sector.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4455 posts
51 upvotes
rshorser wrote:geek squad only pays 12/hr with 3 yrs of experience and a+ and net+??????
well..yea. bench tech is bench tech. With 12, I was pushing it, but man If I worked at that place, that'd probably be one of the most efficient helpdesks you've ever seen & the guy knew it. ..also, If i didn't get it, it would've been no sweat off my back. I make 43k with my career, it would've been pocket change basically. So I naturally asked for 14/hr, but we whittled it down to 12. :)

Even a world renowned Chef like Jamie Oliver would minimum wage as a burger flipper @ McDonalds :P
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
[/COLOR]
Jan 5, 2006
988 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
You're just graduating high school, so do something that can enrich your resume. Camp counsellor perhaps? What about a summer day camp for kids? What you really want to be able to do is show that you're productive on a first-person basis...slaving at a BestBuy isn't what I'd recommend. If that's what you do decide though, you might want to do some volunteering on the side. Just in case....and if you're from ontario, the mandatory 40 hour doesn't really count. It's always better to show initiative and drive ;)
Dec 27, 2003
183 posts
21 upvotes
CodecX81 wrote:I've seen a few bestbuys in the city with "now hiring" for their Geek Squad. I know the Yorkdale location is for a fact, hiring.
I applied (I was gonna do it for an after-job-job). I am A+, Net+, MCP with active 3 years experience & I was able to get $12/hr (30h/week) You might be able to pull 9-10/hr.

I did get the job, but the training hours conflicted with my career, and I could not make it work :(
Oh dear goodness, not a lot of money to recognize that talent.