None
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
103 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Fund Accounting Growth/Exit Opportunities

Hey guys,

I'm a recent accounting graduate and I recently landed a fund accountant position. I'm very thankful because I know how hard it is to find a job, especially in accounting. Even before the interview, I did a lot of research on the position and the general consensus seems to be that the only growth is becoming a Senior Fund Accountant. Even though I'm new to the position, the position has little to do with accounting, a bit more to do with finance and the mos to do with maintaining excel files lol.

Thing is, I'm more interested in accounting and I'm not sure if this position will afford me senior roles in accounting.

I can do my CGA here which is great but i know my experience will attract interviews as well. It's a relatively small fund administration firm so my experience is more varied compared to similar roles at bigger companies but I'm not sure if my experience will be as valuable as... Say a junior accountant or even an AR/AP clerk.

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight on what I should do from any past/current fund accountants? Should I jump ship for a junior accountant or AR/AP clerk position if the pay is similar?
1 reply
Sep 13, 2008
135 posts
4 upvotes
kheavan wrote: Hey guys,

I'm a recent accounting graduate and I recently landed a fund accountant position. I'm very thankful because I know how hard it is to find a job, especially in accounting. Even before the interview, I did a lot of research on the position and the general consensus seems to be that the only growth is becoming a Senior Fund Accountant. Even though I'm new to the position, the position has little to do with accounting, a bit more to do with finance and the mos to do with maintaining excel files lol.

Thing is, I'm more interested in accounting and I'm not sure if this position will afford me senior roles in accounting.

I can do my CGA here which is great but i know my experience will attract interviews as well. It's a relatively small fund administration firm so my experience is more varied compared to similar roles at bigger companies but I'm not sure if my experience will be as valuable as... Say a junior accountant or even an AR/AP clerk.

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight on what I should do from any past/current fund accountants? Should I jump ship for a junior accountant or AR/AP clerk position if the pay is similar?
Its good experience, especially for an entry level position. As a fund accountant I produced trial balances and income statements, made reconciliations, communicated with fund managers and ops teams, assisted in audits etc. At a minimum that should be equivalent to a junior accountant and imo is heads and tails above being in AR/AP (which strikes me more as data entry).

Course the progression is rather mundane FA -> SFA -> supervisor / manager -> Senior manager etc, but honestly its like that in every finance department too.

My advice? Get what experience you can from the job and jump ship after a year or two. BTW you are indeed lucky to have a job as a new graduate, congratulations.