Furnace/AC install with 3rd party evap coil

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 11:44 am
[OP]
Dec 29, 2004
403 posts
503 upvotes

Furnace/AC install with 3rd party evap coil

Just wondering - is this a common practice, or is our HVAC company taking a bit of a walk on the slimy side?
Also, does $1,200 + tax sound in the ball park for an installed evap coil?

The backstory - purchased a York two stage ECM furnace and 14.5 SEER York AC in 2011. Done under OPA rebates, it was not the bargain basement system at the time. Included extended York warranty, 10 years parts and labour. Invoice states that as well.

EVAP coil has a leak now.
Dealer says it's not covered, but doesn't let on that it's not a York coil. Just says York won't cover it. Trying to steer us towards an entire new AC.
I call York. They can see the registration on the furnace and AC compressor, but not the coil.
At this point I look inside the duct work, and see it's not a York coil.
Is the SEER rating even maintained when it's not a "matched" system?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2762 posts
1126 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you read through my recent posts, I have highlighted this malpractice many times. Many contractors use third party coils as it brings down the overall cost of the unit but it is NOT covered by the AC manufacturer.
Innocent customers realize it only when it's too late. Most contractors even do not provide you a separate warranty papers for Aspen /ADP coils. Most of them rely that customer will not find out or even if there is little % who complaints, they twist the facts and claim its in customers benefit.
Since your parts and labor is covered, you should insist on getting the unit fixed. High SEERS can be only achieved if you have matching coil.
da_123 wrote: Just wondering - is this a common practice, or is our HVAC company taking a bit of a walk on the slimy side?

The backstory - purchased a York two stage ECM furnace and 14.5 SEER York AC in 2011. Done under OPA rebates, it was not the bargain basement system at the time. Included extended York warranty, 10 years parts and labour. Invoice states that as well.

Dealer says it's not covered, but doesn't let on that it's not a York coil. Just says York won't cover it. Trying to steer us towards an entire new AC.
I call York. They can see the registration on the furnace and AC compressor, but not the coil.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Oct 19, 2020
542 posts
342 upvotes
GTA
da_123 wrote: Just wondering - is this a common practice, or is our HVAC company taking a bit of a walk on the slimy side?

A third party coil is fine as long as it is an ahri approved match with all the ratings.
The SEER and capacity ratings may vary slightly over oem.
Even with oem coils, there are different matches which produce different efficiency/capacity ratings.

I do recommend that any replacement coil you get is all aluminum, not copper/aluminum.

See if you can get the make/model of the evap coil to determine if there is a separate warranty with the third party company.
I'm not sure how oems cover third party coil warranties/if they do at all.
I do know that now, third party coil manufacturers offer their own 10 year part warranties.

$1200 sounds pretty fair when it includes the actual part and refrigerant.
New quality a/c is $3000+++ in gta.

When there isn't any warranty coverage, whether to replace the entire system or just the indoor coil depends on the model you have.
If it has a potentially leak prone micro-channel outdoor coil which york uses on a lot of their units, I would replace everything.

If it has a fin and tube outdoor coil, just get the indoor coil changed.

The electrical parts out of warranty are affordable and compressors are very durable.

I can check for you if you give me the full model number of the outdoor unit.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3835 posts
873 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…

If the bill of sale says you have a 10 year parts and labor warranty and the evaporator coil is not excluded and not covered by York, perhaps you should have a lawyer send the company that installed it a letter letter insisting it be fixed or compensation to have another HVAC repair it ASAP.

There has been a number of class action lawsuits in the US over prematurely failing coils. York actually lost one of those lawsuits. The problem is that there are different forms of corrosion that affect copper coils. In very old equipment the copper was thicker but in a race to get better efficiency manufacturers lost the war on reliability.
When Carrier discovered they had reliability issues with the thinner copper they started coating them with tin. Now its common to have all aluminum evaporator and condenser coils that are corrosion resistant.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2004
403 posts
503 upvotes
Thanks for all the input.

The AC is a TCGF24S41S3, so it looks like that is microchannel (?).

The coil is Advanced Distributer Products (HE32636A140A0004AP). It looks like that should be covered for 10 years parts - if it had been registered. But it looks like it wasn't, when I do the serial number lookup nothing is found. So it looks like it only has a five year warranty which has passed. That's annoying, since if I had known about it, I would have registered it.

This is installed at my Mom's house. She's elderly, and will likely transfer to LTC when something becomes available, anywhere from 0.5 to 2.5 years from now. Really don't want to replace her entire AC at this point.
Oct 19, 2020
542 posts
342 upvotes
GTA
da_123 wrote: Thanks for all the input.

The AC is a TCGF24S41S3, so it looks like that is microchannel (?).

The coil is Advanced Distributer Products (HE32636A140A0004AP). It looks like that should be covered for 10 years parts - if it had been registered. But it looks like it wasn't, when I do the serial number lookup nothing is found. So it looks like it only has a five year warranty which has passed. That's annoying, since if I had known about it, I would have registered it.

This is installed at my Mom's house. She's elderly, and will likely transfer to LTC when something becomes available, anywhere from 0.5 to 2.5 years from now. Really don't want to replace her entire AC at this point.
Ya, that's not a great unit.
But if the house is going to be sold within 5 years or less, just do the minimum to get it fixed properly. (do not go for a sealant or illegal top-up!)

Maybe ask a contractor to check your adt coil warranty, i doubt adt will directly respond to your requests.