• Mar 15th, 2022 7:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1625 posts
524 upvotes
GTA

Furnace Blows Stronger Just Before Shutting Off

I’ve noticed that when I have the heat on and the desired temperature is reached, my furnace will then blow out air a lot stronger for 10-15 seconds before shutting off. Any idea why this occurs?

While it’s running to reach the desired temperature, it runs at a constant air flow but only on the tail end right before shutting off does it get much louder as if it’s blowing out more air.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5342 posts
2197 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Is that a new condition or has it always existed?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1625 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
fergy wrote: Is that a new condition or has it always existed?
We moved into this home back in May 2021. It’s been doing that since we moved in. Also hearing a ton of popping and banging throughout the ducts when the heat is on, didn’t notice these in the summer, could be heat expansion but the banging are these loud pops. If I didn’t know any better, it almost sounds like the duct work banging against the dry wall or the hard wood floor expanding as a result of the duct work being warmer??
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4352 posts
3208 upvotes
Montreal
To cool down the heating element?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
38011 posts
5662 upvotes
Winnipeg
when was it last cleaned?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1625 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
divx wrote: when was it last cleaned?
We had ducts cleaned right after we moved in. Maybe 9 months ago.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3475 posts
2102 upvotes
Mississauga
Jagstyles wrote: We had ducts cleaned right after we moved in. Maybe 9 months ago.
Ducts cleaning will be seperate from the furnace cleaning unless the company does both.

For furnace the furnace burners might need to be cleaned especially if it's had life a incomplete combustion. Heat exchanger might need to be vacumed out, The flame sensor is cleaned, the blower and inducer fans are cleaned and lubricated too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1625 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
bubuski wrote: Ducts cleaning will be seperate from the furnace cleaning unless the company does both.

For furnace the furnace burners might need to be cleaned especially if it's had life a incomplete combustion. Heat exchanger might need to be vacumed out, The flame sensor is cleaned, the blower and inducer fans are cleaned and lubricated too.
Any one of those things can cause banging/popping throughout the duct work?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
7245 posts
9552 upvotes
GTA
Jagstyles wrote: We moved into this home back in May 2021. It’s been doing that since we moved in. Also hearing a ton of popping and banging throughout the ducts when the heat is on, didn’t notice these in the summer, could be heat expansion but the banging are these loud pops. If I didn’t know any better, it almost sounds like the duct work banging against the dry wall or the hard wood floor expanding as a result of the duct work being warmer??
It won't be the flooring or the ducts hitting the drywall, they won't be close enough to hit the drywall and it would be more of a thud than a pop or bang if it did hit. It's the ducts expanding due to the heat so that's why you didn’t notice it in the summer.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3475 posts
2102 upvotes
Mississauga
Jagstyles wrote: Any one of those things can cause banging/popping throughout the duct work?
Depending on the kind of banging or popping noise but yes they can cause some sort of banging noise resonating in your duct work. On the extreme dirty burners allow NG to build up, when it ignites it causes mini explosions which could a sound like banging at the start of the heat cycle or if the flame goes out mid-cycle. The blower and inducer could also make sounds closer to a loud thump or repeating tapping as they go bad.

Getting the furnace cleaned is usually part of the normal furnace maintenance when most of the parts will be checked. What is the brand and model?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
38011 posts
5662 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jagstyles wrote: We had ducts cleaned right after we moved in. Maybe 9 months ago.
I'm talking about the blower itself.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13508 posts
5131 upvotes
Ontario
Whats the brand/model of furnace.
Some fan speeds can be adjusted if needed. In your case I'm not sure but that sounds like the heat turns off then the fan may speed up to help cool the heat exchanger to prolong life? Just a guess but that would make sense. Maybe @newlyborn will have seen that before while being out in the field?
Jagstyles wrote: I’ve noticed that when I have the heat on and the desired temperature is reached, my furnace will then blow out air a lot stronger for 10-15 seconds before shutting off. Any idea why this occurs?

While it’s running to reach the desired temperature, it runs at a constant air flow but only on the tail end right before shutting off does it get much louder as if it’s blowing out more air.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1226 posts
361 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: I’ve noticed that when I have the heat on and the desired temperature is reached, my furnace will then blow out air a lot stronger for 10-15 seconds before shutting off. Any idea why this occurs?

Is your current furnace a single stage or 2 stage?
See our 2023 RFD Trane AC Group Buy
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/group-b ... t-2605684/
Jun 23, 2019
592 posts
460 upvotes
What thermostat are you using? If it's an Ecobee make sure fan control is set to HVAC not thermostat. Also Heat Dissipation Time and Cool Dissipation Time set to 0. These settings can cause the fan to run at a different speed after a call for heat/cool.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1260 posts
2025 upvotes
you have a variable speed blower fan on your furnace. what is making it run faster at the end of the cycle is unknown. your furnace likely has two stages of heat. if you have a smart thermostat, you may have these two stages wired directly to the thermostat. if you have a traditional thermostat (or a smart thermostat and the installer was lazy and didn't run an extra wire) the HVAV logic board is likely making the decision on what speed to run the blower fan at. my fathers furnace does this based on a combination of previous runtime on heating calls.

also, setting heat dissipation time at zero is a terrible idea. heat dissipation is how long the HVAC blower motor will stay on after the furnace has stopped burning. allowing for a greater amount of heat dissipation time will circulate the heat normally left in the heat exchanger throughout your house, saving you money.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4478 posts
3664 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Jagstyles wrote: We moved into this home back in May 2021. It’s been doing that since we moved in. Also hearing a ton of popping and banging throughout the ducts when the heat is on, didn’t notice these in the summer, could be heat expansion but the banging are these loud pops. If I didn’t know any better, it almost sounds like the duct work banging against the dry wall or the hard wood floor expanding as a result of the duct work being warmer??
This is completely normal. The ducting is metal, and it expands and contracts with heating and subsequent cooling. If the ducts happen to be in contact with the wood framing of your house (which is highly probable) it will rub against it and make noise. The ducting is a hollow tube, and as such makes it like a musical instrument. Learn to live with it, or buy a house with radiant in floor heating.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1884 posts
1459 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Banging of the ductwork is due to expansion of the metal and is super common. I'm surprised you've never experienced this in your previous homes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1625 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
ZxExN wrote: Banging of the ductwork is due to expansion of the metal and is super common. I'm surprised you've never experienced this in your previous homes.
Oh I have, just not to this extreme. These are loud pops/bangs, much worse than anything in my previous home.
Jun 23, 2019
592 posts
460 upvotes
TrueToy wrote: you have a variable speed blower fan on your furnace. what is making it run faster at the end of the cycle is unknown. your furnace likely has two stages of heat. if you have a smart thermostat, you may have these two stages wired directly to the thermostat. if you have a traditional thermostat (or a smart thermostat and the installer was lazy and didn't run an extra wire) the HVAV logic board is likely making the decision on what speed to run the blower fan at. my fathers furnace does this based on a combination of previous runtime on heating calls.

also, setting heat dissipation time at zero is a terrible idea. heat dissipation is how long the HVAC blower motor will stay on after the furnace has stopped burning. allowing for a greater amount of heat dissipation time will circulate the heat normally left in the heat exchanger throughout your house, saving you money.
How do you know he has a variable speed furnace or two stage furnace? I didn't see him post the model anywhere in the thread. Also The furnace logic board will run the blower for x amount of seconds after a call for heat, it's better for the furnace logic board to control the blower than the thermostat. Lennox installer manual allows you to choose how long to run the blower after a call for heat, if you run the fan too long it will cause a cold draft.

Page 44
https://www.questargas.com/ForEmployees ... 6E_IOM.pdf
The blower-on delay of 30 seconds is not adjustable. The blower-off delay (time that the blower operates after the heating demand has been satisfied) can be adjusted by moving switches 3 and 4 on the integrated control. The unit is shipped from the factory with a blower-off delay of 90 seconds. The blower off delay affects comfort and is adjustable to satisfy individual applications. Adjust the blower off delay to achieve a supply air temperature between 90° and 110°F at the exact moment that the blower is de-energized.
Longer off delay settings provide lower supply air temperatures; shorter settings provide higher supply air temperatures
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1260 posts
2025 upvotes
i know he has a variable speed blower fan because OP said in his post that the fan blows harder. QED, he has a variable speed blower.

how do you know he has a lennox?