None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Furnace and A/C electricity usage?

how would I go about determining how much electricity my furnace fan blower uses? And my a/c? Can't find any data in the manual.

I have a 2200 sq ft House and a carrier 1 stage furnace. 95% efficient it says.

My a/c is a 2 ton keep rite seer 13 I think.

Wondering approximately my electric usage.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
If you get the model numbers from the nameplates you should be able to google spec sheets (these specs may also be on the nameplates).
Furnace should tell you running amps of the blower, or at least a HP rating, which can be converted to kW (0.74kW per HP)
AC should have compressor amps and fan amps in the specs - 120V * A = W for furnace and 240V * A = W for AC unit

Should give you a ballpark idea of what it uses.
Jan 22, 2005
29 posts
8 upvotes
you should also be able to log on to your energy usage profile at your utilities web site, if you compare non heating / cooling days to the days your AC is in operation you can get a fairly good idea of what your a costs are ......
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
You'd need to know the duty cycle of your AC, and how much power it consumes to be able to roughly calculate it.

Otherwise, login to your electricity provider's website and look for your cheapest month (probably May); that'll be pretty close to what it costs to not use your HVAC. From there, find your most expensive winter month, and your most expensive summer month; winter will be what your furnace fan costs to run, and summer will be what your AC costs to run.

Hopefully you don't have a pool or hot tub; if so, then the guesstimations above will be really inaccurate.

FWIW, my 1,200 sq.ft 40 year old reasonably well insulated ranch home (with 1,200sq.ft finished basement) cost me $15 this month to run (running only during off-peak hours). This was based on duty cycle, and assuming the power consumption was equivalent to what I read with a friend's clamp meter. This month was also not particularly hot; I am guessing to keep my house comfortable in August, I'll have to cool during the mid-peak times, so more like $30/month.