Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1770 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto

Furnace check up: they found issues

Hey everyone,

Not an expert in HVAC at all but we've had this furnace for about 12-14 years now. Its a Bryant.

I called Doctor HVAC based on their solid reputation, just for a regular maintenance today. They had a couple of findings:

Heat exchanger: there are extreme temperature stress points on it. When it fails or cracks, theres a danger for carbon monoxide.

Speed blower motor: overworking - not being efficient i guess?

I have been quoted a total of 3700 to replace these things.

I checked with Bryant and it looks like theres a 10 year parts warranty. Long expired.

Questions:

The easy one: should I do it? Wait until next winter. Or wait until this thing totally fails?

Hard one: Replace the parts or just buy a new one? And if replacing, is a heat pump practical? If furnace, what should I look for in a new furnace?

Thanks for all the help!

Side note: The hot water tank is rented and its getting old and its around the same age. Hasn't shown any signs of dying. Continue to rent or buy it out?

AC is around the same age as well lol.

I feel like I have a tsunami of HVAC expenses coming up.
37 replies
May 16, 2018
635 posts
542 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
Lived thru a HVAC situation 2 years ago ... Furnace died in November and AC died in June.

My reco would be to change the furnace and A/C at the same time as you can probably score a good deal if you call around. Heat exchanger is $$$ to replace and if you squeeze another 3 years out of the furnace you'll be lucky. The HVAC dude I had said the units Furnace & A/C are only built to last ~ 10yrs. You're on borrowed time IMO.

Start calling around now, also look if there are any offers/grants out there.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
Sounds like nonsense to me. Trying to make money.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Swapped out the builder grade 2006 Luxaire (Goodman) GM9S060B12UP11J 60K BTU Furnace back in October 2019 for a Lennox ML296UH070XV36B-55 70K BTU Furnance ... only cost me $3,000+HST ... and got $750 rebate back then ... total damage $2,640

Just get a NEW furnace.

APRIL 2022 ... swapped out the builder grade 2006 York 2-Ton AY024MA321A AC Unit for a Lennox Merrit 2.5 Ton 13ACXN030-230-26 AC Unit ... only cost me $2,750.

Our HWT (also builder grade 2006 John Wood 6G50NVH-02 50 gal.) was swapped out in 2018 for a new GIANT UG50-40LFPV-N2U 50 gal. ... no cost with Simply Home ... and they returned the old one to Enercare.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Bryant will normally have a 20 years warranty on the heat exchanger but the heat exchanger hasn't failed yet (only stressed) so there is no sense to pay to replace it as the furnace is nearing it's end of life anyways. If the blower motor is overworking (higher than usual amperage draw) is because of restricted filter or restricted ductwork.
Do not repair anything ... buy a new furnace.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
Thorkell wrote: Hey everyone,

Not an expert in HVAC at all but we've had this furnace for about 12-14 years now. Its a Bryant.

I called Doctor HVAC based on their solid reputation, just for a regular maintenance today. They had a couple of findings:

Heat exchanger: there are extreme temperature stress points on it. When it fails or cracks, theres a danger for carbon monoxide.

I checked with Bryant and it looks like theres a 10 year parts warranty. Long expired.

Questions:

The easy one: should I do it? Wait until next winter. Or wait until this thing totally fails?

Hard one: Replace the parts or just buy a new one? And if replacing, is a heat pump practical? If furnace, what should I look for in a new furnace?

Thanks for all the help!

Side note: The hot water tank is rented and its getting old and its around the same age. Hasn't shown any signs of dying. Continue to rent or buy it out?

Was there any problem before calling them? Get new furnace if you can, don’t fix it at that price.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11768 upvotes
GTA
Get a second opinion from another company and see what they say is wrong if anything. The see if the two agree. Be sure not to tell them another company said that you have issues, just say that you would like to get it inspected.

The blower overworking could be caused by using a too restrictive filter or a dirty filter. A 14 year old furnace probably has a recommended filer of MERV 8, some may be MERV 11. Best to call Bryant with your model number and ask what filter to use.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1770 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote: Was there any problem before calling them? Get new furnace if you can, don’t fix it at that price.
No problems at all. The last service call I did was precovid, just wanted to get one done to see if everything was good.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7096 upvotes
West GTEH!
There is a RFD member named newlyborn (real name is Ash. Fair Deal Heating is his company name). Great guy to talk to. Search him.

A few RFD members have used his services and were happy dealing with newlyborn.
Last edited by Webhead on Jan 26th, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
😎
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
Thorkell wrote: No problems at all. The last service call I did was precovid, just wanted to get one done to see if everything was good.
I was referred to Ash as well. We were busy to fit his visit schedule, but we will contact him soon.

Sorry Ash @newborn.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes

Questions:

Thanks for all the help!

Dr Hvac is a very reputable company, great to hear you did your research. Bryant is identical to Carrier and has know issues with their heat exchanges. Based on the model and serial number you may have some warranty coverage. Based on the findings from the maintenance visit what did Dr HVAC recommend? $3700 is a lot to put into a 12 year old furnace, it may make more sense to replace your furnace entirely. I would recommend finding a reputable company that offers quality equipment and is an authorized dealer for the products it installs. I would recommend one of the premium products that sells to authorized dealers vs builder grade products sold over the counter to any technician with a G2 licence.
Regarding the HWT, see what the buy out is? You should get 14-16 years out of a domestic hot water tank.
If the AC is still cooling I would recommend keeping it until it stops cooling. Good Luck with your research!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1770 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
fourseasoncomfort wrote: Dr Hvac is a very reputable company, great to hear you did your research. Bryant is identical to Carrier and has know issues with their heat exchanges. Based on the model and serial number you may have some warranty coverage. Based on the findings from the maintenance visit what did Dr HVAC recommend? $3700 is a lot to put into a 12 year old furnace, it may make more sense to replace your furnace entirely. I would recommend finding a reputable company that offers quality equipment and is an authorized dealer for the products it installs. I would recommend one of the premium products that sells to authorized dealers vs builder grade products sold over the counter to any technician with a G2 licence.
Regarding the HWT, see what the buy out is? You should get 14-16 years out of a domestic hot water tank.
If the AC is still cooling I would recommend keeping it until it stops cooling. Good Luck with your research!
The recommendation wasn't really an immediate install. In the estimate form it says "they are in safe operation". But recommended an appointment with an advisor.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
If you read post #863 in this thread you will find some details about heat exchanger issues for earlier ICP products: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-fur ... 322131/44/

The Heat exchanger is under warranty but you may end up paying some labor. If you decide to replace your furnace with another Carrier brand furnace and it is at least 2stage, 96% or more efficient, you qualify for 800 dollar rebate. I specifically want to mention that you cannot double dip. If you decide to get your heat exchanger replaced now, you will forfeit a potential rebate of 800 dollars for the new furnace.

Questions:

Thanks for all the help!

Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1770 posts
1902 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks @newlyborn

How many additional years do you get out of the furnace by replacing it?

I'll check the serial number and if it qualifies, I'll weigh my options.

edit: yep, its in that list.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
+1 for getting another opinion & +1 for using @newlyborn from Fair Deal heating & Air Conditioning. He's very honest and will tell you the truth of whats going on your furnace. So no upsells or anything like that & then you will know 100% whats wrong if anything with your furnace.

Good Luck
Thorkell wrote: Thanks @newlyborn

Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
It is very difficult to gauge how long the furnace would last after replacing the heat exchanger as it entirely depends how well it was taken care in the past years. We have replaced Heat Exchangers even on 15 yrs old furnace but because it looked sparkling clean, no unusual sounds from ventor or blower motor. However, if you have Infinity series ( modulating furnace ) , my suggestion will be to not spend money on it. Ventor motor on this unit is close to 1400 dollors if it dies down.
So you really have to see what is the value you are getting overall AND / OR if your finances have any constraints. Many people prefer to get the HEX replaced just to buy some time and some of my past customers replaced furnace as it gave them around 800 $ rebate.
Thorkell wrote: Thanks @newlyborn

Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
May 26, 2022
138 posts
160 upvotes
I highly recommend Ash (Newlyborn) from Fair Deal, him and his team are very professional & highly skilled.

I recommended Ash to my coworker who ended up having what seems to be the common Carrier heat exchanger issue. My coworker decided on purchasing a new furnace due to age and also to take advantage of the $800 discount. He received the money within about 4 weeks vs the 12 weeks as projected by Ash. Him & his family are now up and running with a new furnace & with full warranty.
Aug 25, 2006
289 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
kopokipi wrote: Sounds like nonsense to me. Trying to make money.
This.

Never trust someone whose paycheck depends upon you not knowing the right answer. Someone will always find something wrong when they rely on you being gullible as they see $$$ coming.

Educate yourself on how to perform a basic furnace inspection. Jump on YouTube and lookup DIY annual furnace checkup or maintenance. Tons of hvac tech's on their that provide spot on advice. If you insist on following a local HVAC tech's advice atleast get two or three opinions before spending $4k +.

Here's a hint. Very little can go wrong with a furnace. Draft inducer motor, flame sensor, main blower, flame rollout sensor, heat exchanger. Furnaces are pretty basic

If your heat exchanger fails there are failsafes built into all furnaces that will shut it off and prevent it from starting and killing you with carbon monoxide. If still concerned just get a couple of carbon monoxide detectors and place throughout house (you should have these regardless).

There are a few furnaces with know heat exchnager issues (carrier brand) that are subject to free repairs due to a class action lawsuit. Doesn't hurt to do a quick google on you brand and modem to see if any known issues exist.

I got a tech trying to upsell me on a new furnace about 5 years ago when it suddenly stopped working. You tube guided me to clean the flame sensor. Furnace has worked flawless ever since. Cost = free. Effort = less then 5 min
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11768 upvotes
GTA
dbracer wrote: This.

Never trust someone whose paycheck depends upon you not knowing the right answer. Someone will always find something wrong when they rely on you being gullible as they see $$$ coming.

Educate yourself on how to perform a basic furnace inspection. Jump on YouTube and lookup DIY annual furnace checkup or maintenance. Tons of hvac tech's on their that provide spot on advice. If you insist on following a local HVAC tech's advice atleast get two or three opinions before spending $4k +.

Here's a hint. Very little can go wrong with a furnace. Draft inducer motor, flame sensor, main blower, flame rollout sensor, heat exchanger. Furnaces are pretty basic

If your heat exchanger fails there are failsafes built into all furnaces that will shut it off and prevent it from starting and killing you with carbon monoxide. If still concerned just get a couple of carbon monoxide detectors and place throughout house (you should have these regardless).

There are a few furnaces with know heat exchnager issues (carrier brand) that are subject to free repairs due to a class action lawsuit. Doesn't hurt to do a quick google on you brand and modem to see if any known issues exist.

I got a tech trying to upsell me on a new furnace about 5 years ago when it suddenly stopped working. You tube guided me to clean the flame sensor. Furnace has worked flawless ever since. Cost = free. Effort = less then 5 min
That's terrible. Mine stopped for the same reason a few years ago but the tech told me that was the issue and he cleaned it. Everything has been good sense then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5003 upvotes
Toronto
You should replace your water heater with one you buy yourself. You shouldn't owe anything on the rental agreement (double check) and your home insurance probably won't cover any damage caused by a failure of the heater given its age. 12 years is a common cut-off age for insurance coverage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)