• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 7:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Dec 22, 2016
371 posts
321 upvotes
SW Ontario

Furnace fan

I'm located in ONT and own a 2 story 1800sqft house. We just put in a new furnace and usually keep it at 22.

Whats everyone's opinion on keeping the furnace fan on "ON" 24/7.

I hear so many different opinions and looking for some more insight.

Im also a new owner to a 3rd gen nest thermostat.

Any tips I should know about?
Anything that anyone has tried through trial and error that was a bust?

Thanks Matt
10 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15647 posts
16797 upvotes
Oakville
CanadianMatt wrote: I'm located in ONT and own a 2 story 1800sqft house. We just put in a new furnace and usually keep it at 22.

Whats everyone's opinion on keeping the furnace fan on "ON" 24/7.

I hear so many different opinions and looking for some more insight.

Im also a new owner to a 3rd gen nest thermostat.

Any tips I should know about?
Anything that anyone has tried through trial and error that was a bust?

Thanks Matt
Yes, run it 24/7, but make sure you have an ECM motor for lower power consumption. The comfort increase is well worth running it 24/7.
[OP]
Member
Dec 22, 2016
371 posts
321 upvotes
SW Ontario
engineered wrote: Yes, run it 24/7, but make sure you have an ECM motor for lower power consumption. The comfort increase is well worth running it 24/7.
Maybe it's all in my head but it feels "cooler" running the fan in the ON position. I get the concept of why you should.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15647 posts
16797 upvotes
Oakville
CanadianMatt wrote: Maybe it's all in my head but it feels "cooler" running the fan in the ON position. I get the concept of why you should.
That's because there air is moving around you. You also might be in a hot room that's being evened out. You might have other rooms that are typically cooler. Ideally you're ECM motor will run at low speed when only on fan, so that it's very quite and there isn't a lot of air blowing around.
[OP]
Member
Dec 22, 2016
371 posts
321 upvotes
SW Ontario
engineered wrote: That's because there air is moving around you. You also might be in a hot room that's being evened out. You might have other rooms that are typically cooler. Ideally you're ECM motor will run at low speed when only on fan, so that it's very quite and there isn't a lot of air blowing around.
That's pretty much dead on. My basement is 3/4 below ground. My HVAC guy did increase my fan speed because I was getting a code flash up near the end of my heat cycle. That will have no impact on having my fan on all the time will it?
Maybe it's all just me lol.
Thanks for all your help.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36060 posts
10157 upvotes
Ottawa
I have had my fan on 24/7 for 10 years since I got a furnace with a ECM motor. I have not noticed any increase in my electric bill. The only time I turn it off is when I set the thermostat in vacation mode when I go away.
The heat/cool in my house is even throughout the house because the air is constantly flowing, mostly at low speed. An additional benefit that I notice is that the actual heat or A/C does not come on as often because the temperature does not fluctuate as much..
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
30924 posts
1756 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Any way to slow these down? The one where we live is right under our bedroom and sounds like a 747 taking off, so we've resorted to not even running the furnace at night (use the gas fireplace to heat the upstairs). We can't change it out as we're renting. Landlord doesn't care.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6414 posts
2815 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hagbard wrote: Any way to slow these down? The one where we live is right under our bedroom and sounds like a 747 taking off, so we've resorted to not even running the furnace at night (use the gas fireplace to heat the upstairs). We can't change it out as we're renting. Landlord doesn't care.

Might have dip switches at furnace board to tweak
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4116 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote: Might have dip switches at furnace board to tweak
Either dip-switches, or a set of pins that you plug a cable into (this is how my furnace works -- you essentially plug a two-wire cable into a "high" "medium" or "low" socket to select fan speeds).
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4116 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianMatt wrote: My HVAC guy did increase my fan speed because I was getting a code flash up near the end of my heat cycle.
I've never had an ECM motor, but the fact that you are getting a code that requires an increase in fan speed on a brand-new furnace seems a bit off to me (I presume this is a high-temperature fault code -- too much heat building up in the heat exchanger, requiring a very high fan speed to dissipate) . You shouldn't get that code in normal operation. Are you sure that your furnace is appropriately sized for the house? All the furnace ducts open, return air vents not obstructed, etc.?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4264 posts
1501 upvotes
WFH
georvu wrote: Might have dip switches at furnace board to tweak
...but don't go messing with your landlords furnace without getting his permission first. You break it, you fix it!

Top