Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4416 posts
2777 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Furnace leaks..

Hey guys, so I have a house in Whitby, it's a new construction build and we took possession on Jan 12 of this year. Now the Furnace in the basement started to leak water. The builder came out to inspect but he says it is because of the condense AC pipe not in the drainage hole, but it looks like the leak is coming from the inside of the Furnace.

The furnace does have 2 years warranty, but it says on the sticker that if the AC was not installed by [Company] then it voids the warranty? Is this true? I mean I've had AC installed by 3rd party for my house in Brampton and the company comes out to fix any issues.

I've tried calling the furnace company to clarify, but it went to message. If anyone has any suggestions or maybe anyone they know who is reliable enough to come out and take a look (we will definitely pay for the diagnostics). Then please let me know! Thanks for any suggestions, if any..
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
20696 posts
24757 upvotes
GTA
lamboman wrote: Hey guys, so I have a house in Whitby, it's a new construction build and we took possession on Jan 12 of this year. Now the Furnace in the basement started to leak water. The builder came out to inspect but he says it is because of the condense AC pipe not in the drainage hole, but it looks like the leak is coming from the inside of the Furnace.

The furnace does have 2 years warranty, but it says on the sticker that if the AC was not installed by [Company] then it voids the warranty? Is this true? I mean I've had AC installed by 3rd party for my house in Brampton and the company comes out to fix any issues.

I've tried calling the furnace company to clarify, but it went to message. If anyone has any suggestions or maybe anyone they know who is reliable enough to come out and take a look (we will definitely pay for the diagnostics). Then please let me know! Thanks for any suggestions, if any..
Some photos will help.
It's normal for the HVAC to collect water when the AC is running, that's why the drain tube is there. Did he put the tube into the drain hole? Did that solve the problem?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3717 posts
2703 upvotes
Markham
Check the drain tube first. Make sure there is no kink in it because it will restrict the water flow and the water will backup into the furnace.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4176 posts
2986 upvotes
Vaughan
The warranty cannot be void unless furnace is damaged to the leak from AC. Currently since furnace or humidifier are not functional, the leak is certainly through the AC coil sitting on top of the furnace. You have a issue with drain. Water is collecting the pan inside and overflowing it through furnace.
lamboman wrote: Hey guys, so I have a house in Whitby, it's a new construction build and we took possession on Jan 12 of this year. Now the Furnace in the basement started to leak water. The builder came out to inspect but he says it is because of the condense AC pipe not in the drainage hole, but it looks like the leak is coming from the inside of the Furnace.

Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
8254 posts
2783 upvotes
0 downvotes
find out who installed Air Conditioner
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
674 upvotes
GTA
Worst case - defective drain pan.
Most likely a blocked condensate drain line.

Not builder's responsibility since they did not install the a/c.

Stop using the a/c until this is fixed, as water leaking into furnace could cause damage. (internal corrosion, damage to blower motor, circuit board)
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4416 posts
2777 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for all your suggestions and information guys, I've contacted the A/C company and they are coming today or tomorrow to take a look at the leaking.

I am trying to stop using the A/C for a while, since the weather is a bit better and we have dyson fans (which blows nice cold air!).
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!