• Apr 21st, 2021 2:20 pm
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
966 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto

Furnace repair

Hi All,

Today our ecoobee was not working. After talking to technical support, they suggested issue could be with furnace not supplying enough voltage. Does anyone recommend any technician near Scarborough area.

Thank you in advance.
15 replies
Oct 19, 2020
709 posts
435 upvotes
GTA
Before you spend money on a service call, make sure the furnace has power.
Control circuit problems can be straight forward to troubleshoot and rule out. Do need a multi-meter though.
Feb 28, 2018
163 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo region
insertname2020 wrote: Before you spend money on a service call, make sure the furnace has power.
Control circuit problems can be straight forward to troubleshoot and rule out. Do need a multi-meter though.
This .... is the furnace switch on...
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
966 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
insertname2020 wrote: Before you spend money on a service call, make sure the furnace has power.
tralexus1 wrote:
This .... is the furnace switch on...
The furnace is blowing cold air. So I assume power is on.

The tech guy came today morning and did a reset. It worked for sometime and then died.

Not sure the issue. Could be anyone of reason for now:
1. Old furnace
2. Last week a scamster came my home. Not sure if that has anything to do with current failure.
Oct 19, 2020
709 posts
435 upvotes
GTA
gskn4u wrote: The furnace is blowing cold air. So I assume power is on.

The tech guy came today morning and did a reset. It worked for sometime and then died.

1. Old furnace
2. Last week a scamster came my home. Not sure if that has anything to do with current failure.
What was reset?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2447 posts
444 upvotes
Kitchener
gskn4u wrote: The furnace is blowing cold air. So I assume power is on.

1. Old furnace
Resetting an appliance rarely works for long. Something would need to be cleaned or repaired in most cases. If you paid a tech for the first call have him come back. Any reputable company wouldn't have an issue with a return trip for further diagnosis.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1454 posts
892 upvotes
Barrie ON
gskn4u wrote: Hi All,

Today our ecoobee was not working. After talking to technical support, they suggested issue could be with furnace not supplying enough voltage. Does anyone recommend any technician near Scarborough area.

Thank you in advance.
When you say the Ecobee is not working, do you mean the screen is black, and it really isn't working? Or do you mean that increasing the temperature setting on the Ecobee will not make the furnace produce heat.

If the Ecobee has no display
--------------Pull it from the wall, and measure the voltage between the red and black wires . If you read 24VAC, then replace the Ecobee. You could double check this theory by placing a jumper wire from the Red to White wires and see if the furnace produces heat.
--------------If you read 0VAC, then you may have something as simple as a loose connection in the furnace , or you may need to replace the transformer in the furnace, or replace a circuit board in the furnace.

If the Ecobee has a normal display
--------------Pull it from the wall and place a jumper across the red and white wires and see if the furnace produces heat. If the furnace works, then replace the Ecobee.

I'm sure you will get more detailed responses if you explain what "not working" means to you.
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
966 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Rick007 wrote: When you say the Ecobee is not working, do you mean the screen is black, and it really isn't working? Or do you mean that increasing the temperature setting on the Ecobee will not make the furnace produce heat.

If the Ecobee has no display
--------------Pull it from the wall, and measure the voltage between the red and black wires . If you read 24VAC, then replace the Ecobee. You could double check this theory by placing a jumper wire from the Red to White wires and see if the furnace produces heat.
--------------If you read 0VAC, then you may have something as simple as a loose connection in the furnace , or you may need to replace the transformer in the furnace, or replace a circuit board in the furnace.

If the Ecobee has a normal display
--------------Pull it from the wall and place a jumper across the red and white wires and see if the furnace produces heat. If the furnace works, then replace the Ecobee.

I'm sure you will get more detailed responses if you explain what "not working" means to you.
the ecobee screen is blank...on app it shows "offline". no power coming in from Furnace to the device... so only cold air is blowing.

I pulled Ecobee out and checked the voltage.. it shows 0V.
Oct 19, 2020
709 posts
435 upvotes
GTA
Some furnaces have the high temp limit switches cut low voltage circuit off (fan defaults to running continuously on heating speed) - this can even be the case when the unit has a circuit board - granted, the newer ones do it differently.

There's a main limit that resets by itself unless it has tripped too many times and is starts getting stuck.
There are usually manual reset rollout switches near the burners - having rollout trip indicates there's a very serious problem which requires professional evaluation. (is the furnace by any chance carrier/bryant/payne high efficiency?)

Can you call the tech back and ask what exactly was reset?
I would never have him back if he reset the rollout and just walked away without thoroughly checking out the furnace- dangerous malpractice.

Can you check the control board for a flashing led?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1454 posts
892 upvotes
Barrie ON
gskn4u wrote: the ecobee screen is blank...on app it shows "offline". no power coming in from Furnace to the device... so only cold air is blowing.

I pulled Ecobee out and checked the voltage.. it shows 0V.
If you used a meter, and it said 0V between the red and black wires at the thermostat, then your Ecobee does not likely have any problems, it is just not receiving power.

The next step is to read the voltage across the red and black wires at the terminal strip inside the furnace. You may have to tape the safety switch down after removing the cover plate from the furnace in order to get a reading.

If you read 24VAC across the RED & Black wires (R & B or R & C terminals) inside the furnace, but not at the thermostat, then you probably installed the Ecobee PEK , and it may have gone defective. In the cable that runs from the furnace terminal strip to the Ecobee, is there a Black wire connected to the B or C terminal?

If you don't read 24VAC at the terminal strip inside the furnace, then I believe that @insertname2020 has suggested the most likely cause of your prooblem.
Oct 19, 2020
709 posts
435 upvotes
GTA
Open low voltage fuse can do it too.
You have to hold the door switch or tape when testing for control voltage inside the furnace - beware, line voltage is present, do at own risk only!
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
966 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
It is Armstrong Ultra sx 90 furnace..

The red button (side back) was rest.. after he left when I notice furnace back to cold air only I called him.. he made me reset the same button but no help..

@insertname2020 @Rick007 @insertname2020
Images
  • AFC43131-72E5-4365-92B4-22DB414A7B1C.jpeg
  • 8AF98E2F-AD36-4490-807E-21A70F7A7C4D.jpeg
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1454 posts
892 upvotes
Barrie ON
If resetting the switch on the furnace resolves the problem temporarily, then you can stop wasting time looking for an "Ecobee Not Working" problem.

You have confirmed that @insertname2020 is most likely correct. I cannot tell from the image if that is a high limit switch or a flame rollout switch. You should probably get the help of a professional at this point, as the problem could be a life hazard.

In the meantime, check that your filter is not dirty,and possibly restricting air flow.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2880 posts
1253 upvotes
Woodbridge
This is a flame roll out switch and should not be "just" reset. Major reasons of this roll out switch to trip are
1. Defective heater exchanger
2. OVER firing
If your evaporator coil is clogged then generally it should trip the high limit not the flame roll out switch. In my books flame roll out switch is more serious issue than high limit.
gskn4u wrote: It is Armstrong Ultra sx 90 furnace..

The red button (side back) was rest.. after he left when I notice furnace back to cold air only I called him.. he made me reset the same button but no help..

HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Oct 19, 2020
709 posts
435 upvotes
GTA
gskn4u wrote: It is Armstrong Ultra sx 90 furnace..

So you need to get someone competent out to thoroughly check the unit out.
Most likely a bad heat exchanger (plugged or badly split open).

Furnace looks old so you're most likely looking at furnace replacement, not warranty heat exchanger replacement.

Do not keep on resetting the rollout, it's unsafe, it's tripping for a reason.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1355 posts
515 upvotes
Toronto
EDIT: move to another mega-thread so I don't hijack this thread
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused: