• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 8:27 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2010
110 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary

Furnace Replacement (Alberta)

Hello all. I am looking to replace my 26 year old furnace.

Just got a quote through Costco for a Lennox EL296E and it's $6199 installed, with $600 Costco rebate bringing it to $5599.
Seems very high.... or is it in the right price range?
Any recommended installers in the Calgary area?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3685 posts
2168 upvotes
Woodbridge
The quote is certainly much higher than GTA. You may want to shop around for better pricing but make sure that installers are reputed.
Is there any particular reason you are looking for Elite series? You may also want to look into Merit series which is better value for money.
jyu67 wrote: Hello all. I am looking to replace my 26 year old furnace.

Just got a quote through Costco for a Lennox EL296E and it's $6199 installed, with $600 Costco rebate bringing it to $5599.
Seems very high.... or is it in the right price range?
Any recommended installers in the Calgary area?
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
[OP]
Dec 11, 2010
110 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
newlyborn wrote: The quote is certainly much higher than GTA. You may want to shop around for better pricing but make sure that installers are reputed.
Is there any particular reason you are looking for Elite series? You may also want to look into Merit series which is better value for money.

I was never offered the Merit series, and I never asked I guess. Through research I've only come across the Elite series as recommended, but I will look at the Merit!

I just got another quote for a Daikin DM96V (2 stg) or $5800+tax or DM97MC (modulating) for $6500+tax. Similar to Lennox.

All quotes are all in, old furnace removed, new installed. In GTA you guys are paying $3-4000??
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3685 posts
2168 upvotes
Woodbridge
I haven't come across Daikin being a new product in the Canadian market so can't compare or provide any valuable suggestion.
Both Elite and Merit series provide sealed combustion. Does your research reveal why Elite is more recommended than Merit? Merit series has 20 years Heat Exchanger warranty but Elite lifetime. Do you think your furnace will last longer than 20 years? Elite is certainly quieter as it has more insulation but is it something that you want to pay a difference of 1000+?
If budget is not consideration than go for Elite series but if you want the value of your money than Merit prevails.
I don't like to discuss prices here as everyone's situation and setup is different. If you want to get a fair idea of GTA prices, feel free to PM me of Whatsapp me at 416-992-2333 for faster resposne
jyu67 wrote: I was never offered the Merit series, and I never asked I guess. Through research I've only come across the Elite series as recommended, but I will look at the Merit!

I just got another quote for a Daikin DM96V (2 stg) or $5800+tax or DM97MC (modulating) for $6500+tax. Similar to Lennox.

All quotes are all in, old furnace removed, new installed. In GTA you guys are paying $3-4000??
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Jun 23, 2019
512 posts
348 upvotes
jyu67 wrote: I was never offered the Merit series, and I never asked I guess. Through research I've only come across the Elite series as recommended, but I will look at the Merit!

Yes in the GTA we pay $3000-$4000 for the complete job (remove old furnace, install new furnace). I suggest you get at least 3 different quotes, Costco is usually the most expensive. Also in the GTA Goodman/Amana/Daikin are usually the cheapest option around $3000, with Lennox/Trane/American Standard at the higher end. If you can find someone who sells Armstrong Air, get the Armstrong Air A962E, it is identical to the Lennox EL296E but cheaper. Armstrong Air is owned by Lennox and uses all the same parts but for a more affordable price.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2010
110 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
vrscdx wrote: Yes in the GTA we pay $3000-$4000 for the complete job (remove old furnace, install new furnace). I suggest you get at least 3 different quotes, Costco is usually the most expensive. Also in the GTA Goodman/Amana/Daikin are usually the cheapest option around $3000, with Lennox/Trane/American Standard at the higher end. If you can find someone who sells Armstrong Air, get the Armstrong Air A962E, it is identical to the Lennox EL296E but cheaper. Armstrong Air is owned by Lennox and uses all the same parts but for a more affordable price.
3 quotes later, they all came back at just under $6000 for the complete job for a 2 stage, variable speed unit. $6500+ for modulating furnaces. Quoted Lennox EL296E (or add $600 for EL296V), Daikin DM96VC and Amana AMVC96 all from reputable local furnace companies. Seems like the prices in Calgary are just.... double of GTA!!!
Last edited by jyu67 on Jul 21st, 2020 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 23, 2019
512 posts
348 upvotes
jyu67 wrote: 3 quotes later, they all came back at just under $6000 for the complete job for a 2 stage, variable speed unit. $6500+ for modulating furnaces. Quoted Lennox EL296V, Daikin DM96VC and Amana AMVC96 all from reputable local furnace companies. Seems like the prices in Calgary are just.... double of GTA!!!
If all 3 of those are around $6000 then get the Lennox EL296V. Daikin/Amana/Goodman are all the same, they aren't a "premium" brand, so don't pay premium prices for them.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2010
110 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
vrscdx wrote: If all 3 of those are around $6000 then get the Lennox EL296V. Daikin/Amana/Goodman are all the same, they aren't a "premium" brand, so don't pay premium prices for them.
Crap, made a typo. It’s actually the EL296E. For the V it’s another $600... which isn’t worth it IMO
Jun 23, 2019
512 posts
348 upvotes
jyu67 wrote: Crap, made a typo. It’s actually the EL296E. For the V it’s another $600... which isn’t worth it IMO
Then get the EL296E, I wouldn't pay $600 extra for a variable speed blower.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)