Home & Garden

Furniture shopping in Vancouver

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 10:03 am
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
24 posts

Furniture shopping in Vancouver

I just moved to Vancouver and I'm looking to furnish my place. I went to look around at the Brick, Structube, Pottery Barn just over the weekend. The Brick had the most options, but after seeing what people on here say about it I am totally discouraged from shopping there. Structube was kinda meh in terms of choices. Pottery Barn has some crazy prices. To be perfectly honest, I was hoping to take a step up from Ikea, which is why I've not gone there, but now I'm kinda not sure where else to go. My plan was to drop around 6-7k on a bedroom and a living room: bed, mattress (I'm developing osteoarthritis, so important I get this right), night stands, sectional, coffee table, TV, lamps/standing lights, maybe an area rug. Can anyone please recommend some places to look in? Thanks in advance :)
8 replies
Nov 20, 2015
168 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
From my own personal experience (furnishing a 650sqft condo in Toronto) where I also wanted to go a step up from ikea (still ended up getting a few closet and storage pieces from there), whatever budget I had in mind, it doubled. I found the most expensive items were the mattress, sectional and area rug. If this is a long-term more permanent home, I would also recommend taking your time and not buying everything all from one place but be more picky in finding the right pieces.

In terms of places to look: EQ3, West Elm and CB2 are options (regularly go on sale for 15-20% off the whole store) but they are all on the higher end in terms of price point.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
24 posts
jamesw99 wrote: From my own personal experience (furnishing a 650sqft condo in Toronto) where I also wanted to go a step up from ikea (still ended up getting a few closet and storage pieces from there), whatever budget I had in mind, it doubled. I found the most expensive items were the mattress, sectional and area rug. If this is a long-term more permanent home, I would also recommend taking your time and not buying everything all from one place but be more picky in finding the right pieces.

In terms of places to look: EQ3, West Elm and CB2 are options (regularly go on sale for 15-20% off the whole store) but they are all on the higher end in terms of price point.
Hmm, part of wanting to get it all from same place was that I thought the store would give me a better deal, but maybe that only works at the shops in Mississauga :D I guess that also limits my choices greatly, which, as you said, is not the best strategy for long term.
I will check out those stores you mentioned. Thank you for the suggestion!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3411 posts
1402 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You could looked at used (Craigslist is the no. 1 site for Vancouver). Fine and quality furniture has next to no resale value. People want a lot for their junk (IKEA, Ashley, La-Z-Boy, Brick, etc.) but you can bargain them down. If you are worried about bedbugs, just buy wood stuff that you can examine and clean but not upholstered stuff. Salvation Army sells new Sealy(?) mattresses and box springs (bought 3 sets a couple of years ago, with manufacture dates of the previous week). These go on sale once a year.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2327 posts
1354 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy used. Get a new bedframe and mattress from wherever you like, and buy the rest used one piece at a time.

I furnished a temp apartment in the US (work contract) like this. Bought a new mattress, which came with a free adjustable base. TV, dishes, cutlery etc. from Amazon delivered in advance, some pots and pans from the ReStore/Goodwill, and the odd sidetable/chair from ReStore, Facebook Marketplace, other vintage shops.

Don't waste thousands of dollars on new furniture - take advantage of others who have already done that. Get yourself some decent quality vintage wood pieces, a new sofa perhaps to avoid other people's hygiene issues, and keep going. You need a bed to sleep in. The rest can come as you go (unless you're doing this for an impatient family who doesn't want to sit on the floor).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1529 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
nvtool wrote: I just moved to Vancouver and I'm looking to furnish my place. I went to look around at the Brick, Structube, Pottery Barn just over the weekend. The Brick had the most options, but after seeing what people on here say about it I am totally discouraged from shopping there. Structube was kinda meh in terms of choices. Pottery Barn has some crazy prices. To be perfectly honest, I was hoping to take a step up from Ikea, which is why I've not gone there, but now I'm kinda not sure where else to go. My plan was to drop around 6-7k on a bedroom and a living room: bed, mattress (I'm developing osteoarthritis, so important I get this right), night stands, sectional, coffee table, TV, lamps/standing lights, maybe an area rug. Can anyone please recommend some places to look in? Thanks in advance :)
Go check out Moe’s Home. It’s located off terminal ave right across from Home Depot. 3 floors of displays. The staff there are great and really helpful too.

They have a huge variety of furniture and styles and quality is quite good. I’ve bought lots of tuff there and it might suit your needs quite well.

1728 GLEN DRIVE
VANCOUVER, BC V6A 4L5
Mar 22, 2017
782 posts
693 upvotes
Honestly for hard furniture you can usually find an okay cheap option at Structube. Buy the Reno dining table, the Eiffel plastic chairs (they'll flex a bit but look modern-stylish with the table and save you a few hundred bucks for a set), buy the Reno coffee table to match the dining room, the Reno side table for your couch if you'd like, and buy a standing lamp and table lamp at Winners/Homesense. Buy IKEA's 'Hemnes' line for your bedroom (it's solid pine), and a mattress from a bed-in-the-box place.

Splurge on the couch. A more expensive couch will last A LOT longer than a cheap one. Ethan Allen is a good choice for a 10-year couch, though you can find better deals if you read up on construction.

For the TV, buy a Vizio midrange set and the Vizio soundbar (best bang for your buck).

For the carpet, you're on your own ha

That'll cost you about:

1k mattress
2.5k couch
700 dining room set
300 bedframe
300 chest of drawers
100 lamps
1k TV and soundbar
200 side tables
300 coffee table

You'll need the rug, some wall art, a TV stand and a few other things, but you'll be within a 6k budget.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
24 posts
sandy_beach wrote: Go check out Moe’s Home. It’s located off terminal ave right across from Home Depot. 3 floors of displays. The staff there are great and really helpful too.

They have a huge variety of furniture and styles and quality is quite good. I’ve bought lots of tuff there and it might suit your needs quite well.

1728 GLEN DRIVE
VANCOUVER, BC V6A 4L5
Awesome! Thanks for this tip.

grumble wrote: Honestly for hard furniture you can usually find an okay cheap option at Structube. Buy the Reno dining table, the Eiffel plastic chairs (they'll flex a bit but look modern-stylish with the table and save you a few hundred bucks for a set), buy the Reno coffee table to match the dining room, the Reno side table for your couch if you'd like, and buy a standing lamp and table lamp at Winners/Homesense. Buy IKEA's 'Hemnes' line for your bedroom (it's solid pine), and a mattress from a bed-in-the-box place.

Splurge on the couch. A more expensive couch will last A LOT longer than a cheap one. Ethan Allen is a good choice for a 10-year couch, though you can find better deals if you read up on construction.

For the TV, buy a Vizio midrange set and the Vizio soundbar (best bang for your buck).

For the carpet, you're on your own ha

That'll cost you about:

1k mattress
2.5k couch
700 dining room set
300 bedframe
300 chest of drawers
100 lamps
1k TV and soundbar
200 side tables
300 coffee table

You'll need the rug, some wall art, a TV stand and a few other things, but you'll be within a 6k budget.
That's a handy rough budget guide. Thanks!
I ended up going with a mattress from the nearby Sleep Country, because I thought trying them out myself is better feedback than online reviews. The salesman gave me one of the reduced price models at $1200 off display price.
Now onto the rest of the stuff...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2126 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
Another vote for checking Craigslist and the used furniture market. People pay next to nothing for quality furniture in the used market. I've helped a few people with downsizing, and they constantly complained about having to take any offer (like 10% of original purchase price) for high-quality furniture in like-new condition just to avoid paying some recycler to haul it away.