Home & Garden

furniture/storage that doubles as Bed if needed?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 1:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 29, 2011
885 posts
1031 upvotes

furniture/storage that doubles as Bed if needed?

Hey RFD,

doing a lot of re-organizing during these covid days. most of my possessions are books / movies / small nerdy things so shelves really help me. i have a spot in my room where im hoping to be able to use as storage, but also could convert to a Bed if someone needs to sleep over (post-covid, of course!)

i've see the Bunk Beds at ikea, and they might be ok. something like this, i could put some storage boxes on top until the bed is needed. and put a small shelves underneath: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/vitval-lof ... -70411239/

i also like the daybed at ikea but apparently the reviews of the slide-out Bed function aren't so great: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/hemnes-day ... s79186118/

wondering if any RFDers have ideas for this, or maybe you've done this already!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15843 posts
13058 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
A lot depends on who you expect will be using the bed
A lot are truly only designed for kids
So be sure you read the specs for weight restrictions & mattress sizes etc
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 29, 2011
885 posts
1031 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: A lot depends on who you expect will be using the bed
A lot are truly only designed for kids
So be sure you read the specs for weight restrictions & mattress sizes etc
weight restriction! good point

i'm an indie filmmaker so sometimes im thinking might have to let people crash here to save costs. adult people, like crew members or actors.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15843 posts
13058 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gotglint wrote: weight restriction! good point

i'm an indie filmmaker so sometimes im thinking might have to let people crash here to save costs. adult people, like crew members or actors.
In that case, I would forego a bunk or loft bed.
Just look at a regular bed, that either comes with drawers
Or add them or other storage solutions
That would fit your needs
https://www.hgtv.com/design/remodel/int ... ed-storage

Biggest issue is figuring out your clearance ... floor to rail / box spring
If you feel it’s too little
Then raise the bed with risers
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9928 posts
5223 upvotes
Paris
gotglint wrote: weight restriction! good point

i'm an indie filmmaker so sometimes im thinking might have to let people crash here to save costs. adult people, like crew members or actors.
Bah. I’m not tiny by any means and my youngest has a Jysk loft bed with a desk under it. The only bitch of it is getting in and out when I’m putting her to bed, or making the bed.

This type of thing might work for you though. There are better versions of this out there: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... PUQAvD_BwE

Edit found the one I was emailed:
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2019/0 ... s-desk-bed
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 29, 2011
885 posts
1031 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Bah. I’m not tiny by any means and my youngest has a Jysk loft bed with a desk under it. The only bitch of it is getting in and out when I’m putting her to bed, or making the bed.

This type of thing might work for you though. There are better versions of this out there: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... PUQAvD_BwE

Edit found the one I was emailed:
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2019/0 ... s-desk-bed
thanks! looks interesting.

what did you put into search to find it? i googled before but obviously did not input the right terms lol...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9928 posts
5223 upvotes
Paris
gotglint wrote: thanks! looks interesting.

what did you put into search to find it? i googled before but obviously did not input the right terms lol...
Bed that turns into desk. I think Murphy beds are awesome, but this thing takes up less room and your desk stays intact.

Top