Off Topic

A further proof of our (collective) insanity and our wasting ways

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1344 posts
1117 upvotes

A further proof of our (collective) insanity and our wasting ways

We judge the value of a car based on its age instead of its condition.

Last week my brother went to a car dealership with his 10 year old car. It has never been used in winter. Always parked in a heated garage. It has 30,000 km. Never in an accident. The body and everything else is perfect. The dealer told him his $60K car was worth less than $10K.

I understand this is how the 'business' is run. But we, as a society, are insane. The fact the primary factor in determining the value of a car is its age and not its state shows how **** up we are as a society.

ATTENTION MODS: I do not wish to make this thread about cars, but about examples of our insanity and our wasting ways. So please could you leave this thread in Off-Topic. Thank you.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 28th, 2020 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't bypass swear filter
The rising sun is like a beating heart.

Time will cease to exist when there won't be a soul left in the Universe.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9321 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto
Buy low sell high.
Capitalism at it's best.
Let's not forget the CRA will collect GST on this depreciating asset every time it is resold.
Hardly about wasting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1344 posts
1117 upvotes
gh05t wrote: Buy low sell high.
Capitalism at it's best.
Let's not forget the CRA will collect GST on this depreciating asset every time it is resold.
Hardly about wasting.
Capitalism is leading to our demise.

Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3234 posts
1082 upvotes
Woodbridge
TomLafinsky wrote: We judge the value of a car based on its age instead of its condition.

Last week my brother went to a car dealership with his 10 year old car. It has never been used in winter. Always parked in a heated garage. It has 30,000 km. Never in an accident. The body and everything else is perfect. The dealer told him his $60K car was worth less than $10K.

I understand this is how the 'business' is run. But we, as a society, are insane. The fact the primary factor in determining the value of a car is its age and not its state shows how **** up we are as a society.

ATTENTION MODS: I do not wish to make this thread about cars, but about examples of our insanity and our wasting ways. So please could you leave this thread in Off-Topic. Thank you.
The best you can say is that that dealership values the car at $10k. I'm sure that, based on what you described, you could find a private buyer willing to pay more.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 28th, 2020 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2320 posts
18729 upvotes
What do you think it is worth?

Also if the same scenario was presented to you what would you offer (forget this is your brother, pretend it is a stranger)?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1001 posts
447 upvotes
Ripley
A car has moving parts. If you don't move those parts regularly there are problems. Short drives are more harmful to tires, brakes, and moving parts than longer drives. Also the tech and safety components of cars have come a long way in 10 years. So I think this is not a good example of "our wasting ways". I see the fact that he bought a car he didn't need as much more wasteful. Sounds like he doesn't drive much so could have taken public transport or rented a car for the few times he needed to use it.

So it is about cars. We drive 12 and 16yr old cars but they are both used daily. We do regular repairs and maintenance to keep them running well. We will drive them until they are no longer safe to drive (body rots away) or we don't need 2 vehicles. We also buy used cars.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5750 posts
5907 upvotes
Toronto
If the car is worth so much why is he shopping for a new one?
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8960 posts
2565 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
TomLafinsky wrote: I understand this is how the 'business' is run. But we, as a society, are insane. The fact the primary factor in determining the value of a car is its age and not its state shows how **** up we are as a society.
The primary factor in determining the value of a car is not “its age and not its state”.

The primary factor is its desirability.

Here is an example, the 1955 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing for US$4,620,000.
Standard 300SL Gullwing prices can exceed a million dollars, but this particular example was expected to sell for anywhere between $2,500,000 and $3,000,000. These alloy 300SL Gullwings come up for sale infrequently, though, which is perhaps why the final bid of $4.2 million was so high. With auction fees, the final selling price of the 300SL was an incredible $4.62 million, a new record for this car.

You can read more about this particular 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Alloy after the jump, and check out photos of the car in the gallery above.
https://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/22/rar ... _LdEWBZkmu

Or a 1972 Volvo P1800 for US$33,499

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /101331959
The dealer told him his $60K car was worth less than $10K.
Presumably the dealer told your brother he didn’t think your brother has a $60K car. Presumably the dealer told your brother he has a $10K car.

If your brother thinks he has a $60K car he should see whether anyone agrees with him by selling it privately and asking $60K.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 28th, 2020 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Sep 10, 2007
439 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t know much about cars, but one thing that annoys me about wastefulness is the ‘fast fashion’ phenomenon. So many clothes that go to waste that even donated clothes are being rejected by other countries/recipients (too many clothes that they can’t store it all, and also affects their local businesses — venders getting priced out, etc.). A lot of those clothes end up in landfills.

I buy good quality-material clothes that can last a very long time, and I don’t follow these fashion ‘trends’. Same thing with anything else I buy. I use it until it wears out/down.
pmb

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1344 posts
1117 upvotes
People barely have respect for other people. It would be foolish to expect from them to have respect for objects.

Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4113 posts
1466 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote: It would be foolish to expect from them to have respect for objects.
Objects have feelings?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1344 posts
1117 upvotes
shabby wrote: Objects have feelings?
There is at least two ways to answer your question. First, I could tell you that we invest a part of our energy into anything we create. Second, I could tell you the four stages/levels of incarnation are successively: mineral, vegetable, animal and then human.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1344 posts
1117 upvotes
divx wrote: so the op is surprised when he found out stealership don't offer much for trade in?
Nope, not surprised at all. It is our twisted sense of value that is in question.