Students

FUTURE PROSPECTS FOR THIS GENERATION OF STUDENTS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 7:42 pm

Poll: Do you feel your future will be secure and bright based on your upbringing and hardwork

• Total votes: 26. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

46%
No

54%
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes

FUTURE PROSPECTS FOR THIS GENERATION OF STUDENTS

To readers of this thread, I must first congratulate you on discovering the RFD community and the wisdom it imparts. What do current students think about their overall prospects in light of the globalization, outsourcing, declining middle class, increased inequality, high cost of living...generally M-shaped societal trends we see (see wiki below). You may vote in the poll below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-shaped_society

or just posting - so that students are aware of what they are up against these days. Although I hope this doesn't become a "we're all focked...lets go smoke weed" kind of thread.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Either be an entrepreneur, a professional like Doctor/Lawyer, certain trades like Plumber or Electrician or get a govt job.

Private sector, for the most part, are underpaid unless you can get to the VP level and above...
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
621 upvotes
DT Calgary
For most people, if you can't get that public sector job you seek, you'll need to become an entrepreneur to truly have what you want imo. Private sector doesn't cut it these days unless you're in a few select industries and can rise up.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
I love threads like these. Pretty funny
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
A lot of degrees are aimed towards popularity or a driven passion, those that are heavily filled with 400 students per school on intake don't fare well as they end up competing for the same job in the end.
There are amazing degrees but they are never popular enough because it's not an obvious passion to have or create.

With many graduates competing for the same job, demand goes down and you have "reality" applied, when in reality if you are entering a competitive field, you are going to get competitive lower wages.

A good example is to look at a school's CO-OP stats,
they will state hiring rate and average salary. Take in the average salary, the lower the wage, the more likely to be competitive in comparison to the degree level (Diploma, Apprenticeship, Degree)
https://www.sheridancollege.ca/life-at- ... -and-money
Jul 11, 2017
581 posts
599 upvotes
Honestly, I did have a good upbringing overall, however, I am extremely worried for my future as I am not sure what it will hold based on what I have seen others go through, and everything in the news. Housing pricing are ridiculous so I will probably end up moving back home after I graduate and get a job where my parents live, save up, pay off debt, and then eventually move out on my own (Which I'm worried won't happen till I'm closer to 27-30), ultimately, my goal in life is to get a decent paying job and live somewhere affordable (Like St.Catharines).
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes
Staying home for university will save you 50k....
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
why is the title in caps?
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
621 upvotes
DT Calgary
twitchyzero wrote: why is the title in caps?
Because this is an urgent, pressing matter OP has presented to us in the student discussion thread on RFD.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)