• Aug 9th, 2009 3:33 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2786 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto

Future Shop Interview

Hi, I just got an interview by future shop this coming week for a seasonal job in the gaming/cd/dvd/entertainment section. Does anyone have previous experience working at future shop or having an interview at future shop?? What questions should I expect?? and should I dress semi-formal or formal??
Thanks.
16 replies
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
How the hell are you guys getting interviews at future shop/best buy, it seems like they're never hiring ?! Hey, how much previous experience do you have working at future shop type of stores ? or maybe they only hire asians/indians ?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2627 posts
643 upvotes
GTA
congeetime wrote: Hi, I just got an interview by future shop this coming week for a seasonal job in the gaming/cd/dvd/entertainment section. Does anyone have previous experience working at future shop or having an interview at future shop?? What questions should I expect?? and should I dress semi-formal or formal??
Thanks.
you can check here http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/sear ... uture+shop for previous threads related to getting a job at future shop
Jun 14, 2009
14 posts
If you check the future shop website, quite a few locations are hiring for seasonal staff.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1123 posts
236 upvotes
Oshawa
congeetime wrote: Hi, I just got an interview by future shop this coming week for a seasonal job in the gaming/cd/dvd/entertainment section. Does anyone have previous experience working at future shop or having an interview at future shop?? What questions should I expect?? and should I dress semi-formal or formal??
Thanks.
I would say semi-formal. As for the interview it should be just the generic interview (at least it was for me). They look at your resume, and usually they want to try and get a feel for your attitude and enthusiasm.

Although keep in mind that working on entertainment (games/movies/music), you will not see much in the line of commission. I initially expressed interest in entertainment during the interview, however when I was offered a shot at home theatre I jumped on it.

If you do get hired on for seasonal and you want to have a chance at getting hired on full-time after the holidays be punctual, friendly and show a real good work ethic. They will usually keep on a few of the seasonal employees.

Good luck with the interview.

P.S. The training period is a little bland. They will have you spend the day reading the handbooks, but it is paid training. Once you go through it you never have to do it again if you only wish to work seasonal from year to year (which is a bonus...and this also applies for Best Buy).
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
1701 posts
184 upvotes
I once worked at the audio department. Compared to the home theater and computer depts, it was less stressful. The guys from the gaming/entertainment section were the most laid back guys I've worked with while home theater/computer dudes, who work on commission, tend to be snakes on your back.

Just wear semi formal, have confidence and show that you're determined and willing to work. They're not going to hire someone who is hesitant and insecure about their abilities. It was a good experience for me...and I found that it helped me improve my communication and many other things.

They'll ask questions of situations like...

- A client comes in and wants to return a product, but he doesn't have the receipt. What would you do?

- An employee stole money from the cash register, but secretly returned it the week after. He was caught either way and fired. How do you feel about that?

- How do you feel about authority?

They will also ask you questions that have been exactly asked from the online questionnaires you've done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2786 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
thanks alot for the replies, alot of help for sure.

When I applied, their wasn't an online questionaire. Best buy had it but future shop didn't have one. I'm guessing it should be the same questions from the best buy online interview??
btw, im kinda nervous for the interview :'(
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
1701 posts
184 upvotes
back then bestbuy and FS both had the same system. seems like FS no longer has it.

it's different for everyone...your manager won't necessarily ask the same questions or test you the same way mine did.
Sep 18, 2008
353 posts
1 upvote
norgos wrote:
- A client comes in and wants to return a product, but he doesn't have the receipt. What would you do?
]
what would you reply to that one? I would flat out say sorry we cant without a receipt or offer credit at the lowest value that item was sold for.
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
trisle604 wrote: what would you reply to that one? I would flat out say sorry we cant without a receipt or offer credit at the lowest value that item was sold for.
I'd like to know the best answer to the question as well, seeing as how I have an interview coming up.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3356 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks.
Dress like them; dress-pants and black dress shirts!
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
norgos wrote: - A client comes in and wants to return a product, but he doesn't have the receipt. What would you do?
I hate when they ask questions like that, which are mostly an issue of company policy. The company would obviously have a clear policy on what to do in that situation, why are they asking us to make up company policy in the interview?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10412 posts
598 upvotes
Mississauga
mrdc wrote: I'd like to know the best answer to the question as well, seeing as how I have an interview coming up.
Go into the store and try it. See what they do/say.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10412 posts
598 upvotes
Mississauga
BornRuff wrote: I hate when they ask questions like that, which are mostly an issue of company policy. The company would obviously have a clear policy on what to do in that situation, why are they asking us to make up company policy in the interview?
I think this question is more about how much research you have done about the company. It is clear as day in the policy that they don't accept returns without a receipt or gift receipt. Someone at the interviewing stage should have at least read all the corporate policies available on the website.

I don't think they would like a 'it depends' type of answer, or any answer that doesn't agree with store policy. They don't want to hire someone that will bend the store policy to suit their needs.

Honestly, if you are applying for a snake-in-the-grass / salesman position, then this policy never applies. If you are applying for a CSR position, then of course they should ask you these types of questions.