Shopping Discussion

Future Shop: No Lemon Policy (not a complaint)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2008 4:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 31, 2006
193 posts
6 upvotes

Future Shop: No Lemon Policy (not a complaint)

Hi,

First of all, I hope I posted in the right section...

I would appreciate your opinion or advice, especially if you have been through the same situation.

I am wondering what I should expect as a replacement laptop after 4 major repairs and almost 3 years. I paid around 1000$ for the laptop and 300$ for the psp.

Here are the details: (for those who have time to read on)

I purchased a compaq laptop in 2005 from Future Shop with a 3-year PSP. I've already had 4 major repairs (mostly motherboard replacements), the last repair occured in September 2007.

At that point I was given the choice to replace my laptop, I decided to keep mine. All the repairs were done in reasonnable time and customer service was pretty good most of the time.

Now my laptop is having problems with the screen (shuts off after a while). I went back to future shop and they told me I was intitled to a new laptop but had to come back another day since the manager wasn't in.

Now I'm wondering what to expect as replacement for my laptop. My purchase price was 1000$ in 2005. I'm guessing that a store credit is out of the question and I should expect a lower value laptop. Are my assumptions correct?

If my laptop has a 14.1" widescreen monitor, can I expect to get the same feature on my replacement laptop? Or am I obliged to get the cheapest laptop they have on the floor?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2108 posts
248 upvotes
SW Ontario
I had a HP digital camera die on me a few years ago.

When I brought it in, the lens wouldn't retract. They could not fix it, and offered a replacement.

They offered something of similar specs.

So, you'll probably get something with similar specs to what you have.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5437 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
blairs1 wrote: I had a HP digital camera die on me a few years ago.

When I brought it in, the lens wouldn't retract. They could not fix it, and offered a replacement.

They offered something of similar specs.

So, you'll probably get something with similar specs to what you have.
yup similar or better is usually the deal
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19191 posts
1686 upvotes
ibdpman wrote: Hi,

First of all, I hope I posted in the right section...

I would appreciate your opinion or advice, especially if you have been through the same situation.

I am wondering what I should expect as a replacement laptop after 4 major repairs and almost 3 years. I paid around 1000$ for the laptop and 300$ for the psp.

Here are the details: (for those who have time to read on)

I purchased a compaq laptop in 2005 from Future Shop with a 3-year PSP. I've already had 4 major repairs (mostly motherboard replacements), the last repair occured in September 2007.

At that point I was given the choice to replace my laptop, I decided to keep mine. All the repairs were done in reasonnable time and customer service was pretty good most of the time.

Now my laptop is having problems with the screen (shuts off after a while). I went back to future shop and they told me I was intitled to a new laptop but had to come back another day since the manager wasn't in.

Now I'm wondering what to expect as replacement for my laptop. My purchase price was 1000$ in 2005. I'm guessing that a store credit is out of the question and I should expect a lower value laptop. Are my assumptions correct?

If my laptop has a 14.1" widescreen monitor, can I expect to get the same feature on my replacement laptop? Or am I obliged to get the cheapest laptop they have on the floor?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Considering you can get a laptop today for $500 that's likely twice as good as the one you got for $1000 four years ago I would not be too worried about it. Even the "cheapest laptop on the floor" as you put it would probably be a big upgrade compared to what you have now, if you only spent $1000 in 2005.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Jul 31, 2006
193 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks for the replies.
brunes wrote: Considering you can get a laptop today for $500 that's likely twice as good as the one you got for $1000 four years ago I would not be too worried about it. Even the "cheapest laptop on the floor" as you put it would probably be a big upgrade compared to what you have now, if you only spent $1000 in 2005.
Your right, laptop prices seem much lower than 3 years ago. So no haggling needed I suppose.

I'm glad future shop doesn't carry the 100$ laptop yet...I wouldn't be too happy if I had to crank my laptop to power it up :P

Maybe I can get store credit equivalent to the cheapest model price and get a better laptop?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8483 posts
4305 upvotes
Keep in mind that you will have an option to do an UPGRADE ... ie. pay the difference between the amount they allow you for a new laptop and the one you wish to 'upgrade' to :)
[OP]
Jul 31, 2006
193 posts
6 upvotes
I took my laptop to FS to get my replacement.

They agreed with me that I was intitled to one because of the no lemon policy. They made copies of the orignal receipt and of the repair sheets.

I had to turn in my laptop and remove my password. I was told they needed "the center" to send an estimation for the replacement and gave me a time frame of 2 days to a week.

Is this normal procedure?

I'm a little worried after reading many horror stories from FS customers. The store manager doesn't help appease my worries at all. His actions seem a little "fishy" to me.

I'm wondering why I had to remove my password if they didn't intend to replace it? (They told me they wouldn't bother fixing it)

Should I be worried?