Expired Hot Deals

[Future Shop] Future Shop - Rogers 500GB PVR $599.-less $100.- =$499.- Plus $100 gift card.

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2012 9:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1152 posts
233 upvotes
OTTAWA

[Future Shop] Future Shop - Rogers 500GB PVR $599.-less $100.- =$499.- Plus $100 gift card.

$499.- plus a $100.- gift card. Seems it is a best deal.
45 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17994 posts
4533 upvotes
Toronto
Rockymountain wrote: $499.- plus a $100.- gift card = $399.-. Seems it is a best deal.
How do you get the gift card?

EDIT:

Ah, I see it's in the flyer.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2010
14601 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
People have been calling retention's and they were able to get the PVR for a special price.

I'm not sure on the details but it seemed like a pretty good deal. They're matching Bhell's offer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1152 posts
233 upvotes
OTTAWA
EugW wrote: How do you get the gift card?

The sale will give you the $100.- gift card. Don't forget to ask.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1152 posts
233 upvotes
OTTAWA
wilsonlam97 wrote: People have been calling retention's and they were able to get the PVR for a special price.

I'm not sure on the details but it seemed like a pretty good deal. They're matching Bhell's offer.

Rogers has given me a 160 GB PVR free rental for years. It would be nice to have a 500 GB to have greater recording capacity, particularly when someone is travelling away from home. Yes, it seems to be a good deal.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13523 posts
5095 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Rockymountain wrote: Rogers has given me a 160 GB PVR free rental for years. It would be nice to have a 500 GB to have greater recording capacity, particularly when someone is travelling away from home. Yes, it seems to be a good deal.

Rogers has started to stock 500GB 8642HD PVRs for their rental units. So you might get lucky if you try swapping your PVR at the Rogers store and see if you can land a 500GB model.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3126 posts
1471 upvotes
Toronto
Because of the new Netbox offerings, I expect prices for the older PVR's to plummet soon. 500GB model might not be old, but older tech.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17994 posts
4533 upvotes
Toronto
The 500 GB 8642HD is the 2012 standard. It's the 160 GB models that are being phased out. Remember also that the 500 GB model is a replacement for the prior 320 GB model.

So, don't count on a newer model to come along any time soon.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
697 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
beachlover wrote: Because of the new Netbox offerings, I expect prices for the older PVR's to plummet soon. 500GB model might not be old, but older tech.

The Nextbox is the 8642HD... they just renamed it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 7, 2003
2743 posts
498 upvotes
Ottawa
it's actually $565 after taxes - 100 gift card

Warm at best
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1152 posts
233 upvotes
OTTAWA
dux wrote: it's actually $565 after taxes - 100 gift card

Warm at best

On page 28 of the flyer the original price of the 500 GB PVR is $599.- less $100.- = $499.- plus a $100.- gift card = $399.-. Thus the total saving is $200.-. I have been checking/following the price of this PVR for some years. The price $399.- is the best so far.

Please note the REGULAR price of a 160 GB PVR is $499.-. Hope this information would help.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 7, 2003
2743 posts
498 upvotes
Ottawa
Rockymountain wrote: On page 28 of the flyer the original price of the 500 GB PVR is $599.- less $100.- = $499.- plus a $100.- gift card = $399.-. Thus the total saving is $200.-. I have been checking/following the price of this PVR for some years. The price $399.- is the best so far.

Please note the REGULAR price of a 160 GB PVR is $499.-. Hope this information would help.

It's still $499 + taxes, and I would not call a gift card savings. So your title is misleading.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
697 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
dux wrote: It's still $499 + taxes, and I would not call a gift card savings. So your title is misleading.

The gift card is still worth $100, you just have to pay taxes on that $100.

If you plan to never buy anything at Future Shop again after getting the PVR then this is a bad deal for you... but if you think you might spend a hundred there at any time in the future then this is a good deal.

You also have to consider that the 320GB 8642 at Costco is selling for $529, so this is a larger drive for a cheaper price with an extra $100 given to you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 7, 2009
1028 posts
323 upvotes
This doesn't seem like such a deal when telus can sell their 500gb PVR for $99! (Reg price is $200 but is on sale every month or two at Fs/best buy).

Top