Expired Hot Deals

[Future Shop] Future Shop - Rogers 500GB PVR $599.-less $100.- =$499.- Plus $100 gift card.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2012 9:01 pm
Tags:
Jan 6, 2009
91 posts
16 upvotes
a 500GB only PVR worth $500? rogers must be ripping off like Apple does
Mar 22, 2012
1 posts
Where in flyer is it?? What page? I am in Ottawa and I can not find it!? I dont want to go into future shop with out paper back-up!

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1569 posts
1198 upvotes
I don't call this a deal. It's a rip off ....even at 300$ per box , that is still a scam. Plus, 100$ in gift cards ....that's not called savings since you have to use it at the same Failureshop...

These prices are so unrealistic...the real price of a box like that is around 50-100$ max. Don't buy them...you're just making Rogers and Bell rich...they always raise the prices, every March ..under different pretexts ...just to see how they buy teams or other provider next day for Billions. Yes, you read it right. Billions.... and who pays for them ? The few million customers they have....just that you have no share in that team of company they just bought (see Astral or Hockey/Basketball teams and so on...)

This is just a personal opinion/advice.

:)
Jul 7, 2005
410 posts
22 upvotes
Pretty sweet deal considering the cheapest I've seen was boxing day $100 off. Now they are throwing in a 100 dollar gift card. Replying to the previous post; yes this is still probably a rip off when comparing this to the price to manufacture, but Rogers and bell have you by the balls. If you need hd cable and pvr, then essentially you don't have any options short of 'creative' solutions.

And just to confirm previous posts, the 8642 hdpvr IS the nextbox thanks to Rogers' misleading marketing. IMHO the new GUI is worse than the previous version. While the menus look new nice and fancy, functionally, the new upgrade is slow as hell. Just my two cents
Dec 19, 2008
745 posts
142 upvotes
Just a personal story, I had a 320gb 8642 that wouldn't take the update for the new IPG (Interactive Program Guide) so a tech came to my home last week to try to install it manually. Still didn't take, so he swapped out my box with a new one he brought with him. I ended up losing the few recorded shows on my PVR, but ended up with a 500gb 8642 :) so no complaints.

This is why I rent instead of buy my pvr. I would be sad if a $600 PVR died on me or couldn't take a simple software upgrade. I hear the hard drives are often the first to go on these pvrs.
Dec 19, 2008
745 posts
142 upvotes
mogmatt wrote: While the menus look new nice and fancy, functionally, the new upgrade is slow as hell. Just my two cents
This is accurate.

It's like walking with my girlfriend when she's in really high heels........ slower, but looks nicer.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
3772 posts
1067 upvotes
smackioio wrote: I don't call this a deal. It's a rip off ....even at 300$ per box , that is still a scam. Plus, 100$ in gift cards ....that's not called savings since you have to use it at the same Failureshop...

These prices are so unrealistic...the real price of a box like that is around 50-100$ max. Don't buy them...you're just making Rogers and Bell rich...they always raise the prices, every March ..under different pretexts ...just to see how they buy teams or other provider next day for Billions. Yes, you read it right. Billions.... and who pays for them ? The few million customers they have....just that you have no share in that team of company they just bought (see Astral or Hockey/Basketball teams and so on...)

This is just a personal opinion/advice.

:)

Totally agree, 4642HD & 8642 PVR are simply replacement of 4250HD and 8300 PVR but they cost twice as the previous version and they NEVER really go on sale at all. I am sure people still remembered 4250HD for $99 on boxing day in the past but the 4642HD never go below $269 ($249?). Rogers jacked up the prices of their equipments 100% and makes it look like a good deal with $100 off + $100 FS GC. People buy the boxes as expected and every single quarter Rogers is reporting nice profits :mad:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1153 posts
238 upvotes
OTTAWA
rodenti wrote: The gift card is still worth $100, you just have to pay taxes on that $100.

If you plan to never buy anything at Future Shop again after getting the PVR then this is a bad deal for you... but if you think you might spend a hundred there at any time in the future then this is a good deal.

You also have to consider that the 320GB 8642 at Costco is selling for $529, so this is a larger drive for a cheaper price with an extra $100 given to you.

Thanks RODENTI. This is what I thought when I posted the thread.
Jul 28, 2005
135 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
I picked up a 160 GB box and put a 1TB drive into it. Really simple -- I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1153 posts
238 upvotes
OTTAWA
trebas wrote: I picked up a 160 GB box and put a 1TB drive into it. Really simple -- I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

Yes, that is one of the option. 1TB extender is selling at $179.99 at Futureshop.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2843 posts
574 upvotes
Ajax
Free hardware plus 20 percent off sounds a hell of a lot better than buying these!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18005 posts
4560 upvotes
Toronto
Rockymountain wrote: On page 28 of the flyer the original price of the 500 GB PVR is $599.- less $100.- = $499.- plus a $100.- gift card = $399.-. Thus the total saving is $200.-. I have been checking/following the price of this PVR for some years. The price $399.- is the best so far.

Please note the REGULAR price of a 160 GB PVR is $499.-. Hope this information would help.
I think $499 is the new regular price. Rogers is clearing out the 160 GB model. Even the rentals are 500 GB now.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16571 posts
2989 upvotes
Toronto
Rockymountain wrote: Rogers has given me a 160 GB PVR free rental for years. It would be nice to have a 500 GB to have greater recording capacity, particularly when someone is travelling away from home. Yes, it seems to be a good deal.

Do you have many services with Rogers? I've seen people with 4 services and they still wouldn't give them a free pvr rental, only an HD terminal. I've also seen people that spend next to nothing on monthly services and they get a pvr for free!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21155 posts
2491 upvotes
Toronto
trebas wrote: I picked up a 160 GB box and put a 1TB drive into it. Really simple -- I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.
hey man, did you install an extender or actually physically remove the existing 160GB and pop in a 1TB drive?
Rockymountain wrote: Yes, that is one of the option. 1TB extender is selling at $179.99 at Futureshop.
I tried to make my own extender by purchasing a 1TB drive and popping it into an enclosure and it works initially but every so often, something mucks up and all my recordings can't be read.

I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is, I mean it works initially and then one day, it stops working. Then I need to re-format the drive and hook it up again and it works...so frustrating...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0