Expired Hot Deals

[Future Shop] Future Shop - Rogers 500GB PVR $599.-less $100.- =$499.- Plus $100 gift card.

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2012 9:01 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16592 posts
3029 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: hey man, did you install an extender or actually physically remove the existing 160GB and pop in a 1TB drive?
I tried to make my own extender by purchasing a 1TB drive and popping it into an enclosure and it works initially but every so often, something mucks up and all my recordings can't be read.

I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is, I mean it works initially and then one day, it stops working. Then I need to re-format the drive and hook it up again and it works...so frustrating...

Which enclosure did you use? The Vantect usb 2.0/esata CX enclosure has been shown to work. In fact, I purchased a 1 TB non-advanced format drive and CX enclosure from another RFD member for a friend and it's been working perfectly for the past 6 months.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21158 posts
2495 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: Which enclosure did you use? The Vantect usb 2.0/esata CX enclosure has been shown to work. In fact, I purchased a 1 TB non-advanced format drive and CX enclosure from another RFD member for a friend and it's been working perfectly for the past 6 months.
I am using the Antec MX-1 enclosure with a WD 1TB Green drive...

Maybe it is the drive that is mucking up? Though when I do diagnostics, the drive is fine...really frustrating...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1157 posts
241 upvotes
OTTAWA
jo2012 wrote: Where in flyer is it?? What page? I am in Ottawa and I can not find it!? I dont want to go into future shop with out paper back-up!

Thanks

Page 28.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1157 posts
241 upvotes
OTTAWA
kwanja wrote:
This is why I rent instead of buy my pvr.
Why don't you call Rogers for free rental?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1157 posts
241 upvotes
OTTAWA
audit13 wrote: Do you have many services with Rogers? I've seen people with 4 services and they still wouldn't give them a free pvr rental, only an HD terminal. I've also seen people that spend next to nothing on monthly services and they get a pvr for free!
I have VIP cable and lite internet with Rogers. They offer me free rental of a HD box and a PVR. Still I am thinking to cut the tie with Rogers if I could.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1157 posts
241 upvotes
OTTAWA
ji2o0k wrote: hey man, did you install an extender or actually physically remove the existing 160GB and pop in a 1TB drive?
I tried to make my own extender by purchasing a 1TB drive and popping it into an enclosure and it works initially but every so often, something mucks up and all my recordings can't be read.

I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is, I mean it works initially and then one day, it stops working. Then I need to re-format the drive and hook it up again and it works...so frustrating...
I tried to install a WD external harddrive which is said compitable with the 8300 model PVR which I am using. Unfortunately I encountered the same problem as you said. I returned the drive to BB. I did that 2 times. Yes, it was very frustrating.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 19, 2008
745 posts
142 upvotes
Rockymountain wrote: Why don't you call Rogers for free rental?

I currently have 3 months free service (free cable package, add-on packages, and pvr rental, basically not paying anything for 3 months) with my 1-year contract. I'm still in the first month. Before my 3rd month ends, I'll try calling Rogers and asking for free rental. I only have cable tv and cell phone with Rogers, so not as much to use as negotiating power as others who have 4 Rogers services. Worth a try though :razz:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16592 posts
3029 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: I am using the Antec MX-1 enclosure with a WD 1TB Green drive...

Maybe it is the drive that is mucking up? Though when I do diagnostics, the drive is fine...really frustrating...

Is the Green drive advanced format? To be safe, I made sure to get my friend a WD Green non-advanced drive.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16592 posts
3029 upvotes
Toronto
Rockymountain wrote: I tried to install a WD external harddrive which is said compitable with the 8300 model PVR which I am using. Unfortunately I encountered the same problem as you said. I returned the drive to BB. I did that 2 times. Yes, it was very frustrating.

Are you using the drive internally? I'm asking because I didn't know WD had Green ide drives.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21158 posts
2495 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: Is the Green drive advanced format? To be safe, I made sure to get my friend a WD Green non-advanced drive.
what is advanced format? I never knew about this...can you PM me more info? Thx !

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1157 posts
241 upvotes
OTTAWA
audit13 wrote: Are you using the drive internally? I'm asking because I didn't know WD had Green ide drives.

It is an external drive which is about $169.- plus tax.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16592 posts
3029 upvotes
Toronto
Rockymountain wrote: It is an external drive which is about $169.- plus tax.

That's too bad about the extender. I know one person at work that is using an Extender with an 8300 and he's reported no problems in the 9 months that he has had it.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2005
593 posts
104 upvotes
I don't need a box for Rogers any more. I cancelled my tv from Rogers last year. I am receiving 20+ channels via a indoor antenna. plus netflix for 8 bucks a month, I don't need to pay rogers 70+ bucks for tv.

From the time I bought my HDTV in early 2008 to the time I cancelled rogers last year, I didn't pay a penny for my HDTV box. It takes you a phone call to get a free box rental. They used to give me a free box rental for one year at a time. I just needed to call them once a year to get free rental for another year. I don't know why people spend hundreads of bucks on a Rogers box.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2003
697 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anyone tried pricematching this with Best Buy or another store? How do they treat the $100 gift card?

Top