Expired Hot Deals

Future Shop

Futureshop : $29.99 Memorex 8.5GB DL DVD+R 25 pack (PM $25.79)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2007 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 21, 2003
555 posts
22 upvotes
Winterpeg
mahjongmaniac wrote: relax. i suppose he's just trying to "play the game on the safe side"...

it's the same reason why some on here prefer to burn music on cd-rs at 16X speed (or lower)

BTW, nice analogy there lol
Yes, exactly.
I do have the ability to burn 8x, I just choose the slowest speed for better accuracy. And I do burn my music at 8X :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
What's interesting is that burning a disc too slowly can actually drastically reduce its' lifespan. If the drive doesn't calibrate to the dye properly, you can 'over cook' the dye. I have some discs that were burned like this at real time in my Panasonic DVD Recorder, and their error rate seems to double every 6-7 months.

It will be documented in my longevity study, as soon as I finish writing up all the results that is :razz:
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Aug 24, 2005
335 posts
136 upvotes
cechlin wrote: can anyone comment on the quality of these for 360 backups
Out of a spindle of 50 I've had two coasters. I'm quite happy with the quality of these discs.
Jan 15, 2006
42 posts
Personally i have gone thru 2 360's one with samsung drive and now with a hitachi i have used these dual layers none have caused me problems the only ones i have had trouble with are the philips dual layers. i have also heard that ridata discs are good 2
:twisted:
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13549 posts
2727 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
relax. i suppose he's just trying to "play the game on the safe side"...

You've missed the point. Burning slow isn't necessarily playing the game on the safe side. BTW, if you've read some of my other posts regarding media, you'll know that not for burning discs as fast as possible. But that also doesn't mean that I would choose to burn at 1x if it were possible.

I do have the ability to burn 8x, I just choose the slowest speed for better accuracy. And I do burn my music at 8X

Sure, I burn audio CDs at 8x, also. But burning audio is different than burning data. There's other criteria involved. For example, CD-DA doesn't work the same way as ISO9660 (which is why we have CD-DA rippers, some good - EAC, some bad - iTunes), and CD players read at 1x, generally.

BTW, nice analogy there lol

I suppose the better analogy would be to make popcorn in the microwave, on high, for two minutes. Try the same thing on defrost for two hours and see if any kernels pop.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
teknoluv wrote: Good analogy ... or not?
i just liked the way he said "burning" pattern, but of course, that's nothing similar to "burning data" on a disc...
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)