Shopping Discussion

Futureshop & Bestbuy Giftcards- Watch your Balance !!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2012 7:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2733 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga

Futureshop & Bestbuy Giftcards- Watch your Balance !!

It seems that anyone who checks their giftcard balance on
Futureshop or Best buy websites may find that their cards
have been rounded off to the lower dollar amount.
This is a characteristic of FS and BB giftcard balance web service
as well as online ortdering.

Example- 356.87 is checked out as 356.00 only. 87 cents is missing.

DO NOT THROW OUT our cards until you check them in-store.

You might throw away up to 99 cents !!!

It seems that all is well in for use in store and only the problem is
with online checks and web/phone ordering.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8156 posts
1825 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the heads up. I have myself confirmed that both of them will round down online, and report a $0 balance incorrectly. The scam artists try to rip you off of that last dollar by not using it.

I realized this when hitting my max of 3 gift cards due to the recent trade in value boosting coupons. Online they report as $0 but in store they have .65 etc on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2009
1208 posts
903 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I discovered this when I sold my gift cards to CardSwap. I said the value was $113.93 and they came back and told me know the value was $113.00. I told them not to check online, they should call the number on the back of the card. They did and now they know better.

It may be a shady practice or simply a glitch... But if they can't fix the system they should at least post a disclaimer saying the website rounds down to the nearest dollar.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2672 posts
740 upvotes
Vaughan
Its stupid, but that's how the system works online. If your purchase is 33.54, to pay only with the gift card, you need atleast 34.00 balance left. If it's 33.75, it will tell you that you don't have enough balance left to cover the purchase.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1345 posts
398 upvotes
Calgary
Avenger wrote: Thanks for the heads up. I have myself confirmed that both of them will round down online, and report a $0 balance incorrectly. The scam artists try to rip you off of that last dollar by not using it.

I realized this when hitting my max of 3 gift cards due to the recent trade in value boosting coupons. Online they report as $0 but in store they have .65 etc on it.

I don't see how it could be a glitch? I mean, if I call my bank, I will get an exact number. (Automated system, not talking to a real person.)