Shopping Discussion

Futureshop Samsung 22" lcd monitor $399. Dell.ca 22" monitor $399. Which one is hot d

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2006 2:00 am
Tags:
None
31 replies
Feb 26, 2003
22 posts
You realize that you can buy the Dell one for $300 tomorow right?

If you have to get it today, samsung is probably the better choice. the dell one is really low end, and I think that the samsung will probably be better.
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes
The 22" Dell is on sale starting tonight for $299 - BD sale.
Deal Expert
Oct 10, 2006
22205 posts
137 upvotes
Victoria
mok749 wrote: You realize that you can buy the Dell one for $300 tomorow right?

If you have to get it today, samsung is probably the better choice. the dell one is really low end, and I think that the samsung will probably be better.

It all depends on what you plan to use it for OP, and whether a $100 price difference is enough to persuade you
Mar 14, 2005
879 posts
77 upvotes

The Samsung and the Dell use the same LCD panel - and how is the Dell really low end vs. the Samsung???
Nov 22, 2006
210 posts
8 upvotes
All the 22' LCD is TN+film 6 bit panel...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2004
1468 posts
5 upvotes
Port Coquitlam

How is the dell low end???? I've bought a lot of Dell LCD's myself and also had friends who say there pretty reputable. I think Dell LCD's are quite good, not just from what ive read but a lot of other people too.
Heatware 17-0-0
BST Feedback 8-0-0

All 100% buy with confidence
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Danno2005 wrote: The Samsung and the Dell use the same LCD panel - and how is the Dell really low end vs. the Samsung???
Just to add... Dell has a contract with Samsung so if Dell is low end than Samsung is low end (because Samsung provides the panel!). :razz:
Aug 29, 2006
635 posts
10 upvotes
No i di not know that . thankyou for infroming me. any link please ? is it on web ?thanks
No i can wait for tomorrow to save $100
Danno2005 wrote: The 22" Dell is on sale starting tonight for $299 - BD sale.
Thanks, stating what time ?
sportmiester wrote: It all depends on what you plan to use it for OP, and whether a $100 price difference is enough to persuade you
Oh yes $100 is good money
VirusSyn wrote:

How is the dell low end???? I've bought a lot of Dell LCD's myself and also had friends who say there pretty reputable. I think Dell LCD's are quite good, not just from what ive read but a lot of other people too.
Me too i will like to know. thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5573 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
Sale starts tomorrow, probably in the morning at about 7:00 AM-ish.
May 30, 2005
221 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
The Dell model that sells tomorrow is the E228WFP and the FS deal is for the Samsung 225BW. The E series is Dell's low end LCD offering, they're generally $100ish cheaper than their counterparts. That and the E228WFP is so new I haven't been able to find any user experience with it where as the 225BW has received favourable reviews.

All 22" right now are 6 bit TNs but supposedly the Samsung does a little magic to avoid the dithering effect.
Jul 25, 2006
126 posts
buy.A.gift wrote: don't forget you have to add shipping cost in your Dell order tho!
for 299 i would rather get Sears Prima 299 HDTV 20" deal
You do realize dell shipping is free. That plus its a computer monitor not a TV. The LCD tvs are horrible as computer monitors. Plus Prima is a god awful brand, my uncle bought a prima tv and it died in the first week. Then he got a replacement and that died in the first 2 months. After that he just went and got a LG.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8556 posts
1056 upvotes
Very likely all the 22" in the market are from the same panel - so the quality difference is probably slim.

If you want better quality, you need to look into either a 20.1" or 24".
a
Aug 30, 2005
821 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
too bad 24 inches are way too expensive, i like 22's prices.

and honestly TN 6 bits, unless your anal about the color or dark levels then you can't really tell the diff or the diff is so small that unless your anal you won't give a ****. (unless you need monitor for professional usage like graphic designing or whatever then in that case plz don't buy TNs)

n also i read a comment about pixels stretched by 10%, well at least ur eyes won't be tired after a couple of hours staring... don't tell me ur eyes don't get tired on 1650 on a 20.1 inch.

just my 2cent
Nov 13, 2006
62 posts
I have a quick question about the 22 inch wide screen LCD's that wil be on sale, the Samsung, Dell, and Viewsonic. Which one would you recommend for a casual gamer (WOW to be exact)?

I'm not crazy about the quality and just running a BFG 7600 GS on my machine.

Thanks for the help guys :)
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered the FS $399 Samsung monitor instead of the Dell. My main reason is that there are numerous reviews for the Samsung and nothing available for the Dell panel. I am sure the Dell is decent but it is the first offering. If people recall, the 2407WFP panels that came out (for a hefty price I may add) had lots of banding issues which have been resolved in the E3 revision of firmware.

Here is just one review of the Samsung by PC Mag:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2037051,00.asp

I have seen the Samsung at FS before purchasing it online. I was pretty impressed with the text quality (even though it was hooked up with SVGA switchbox). It was clearer then the others they had on display.

As a person who uses MS Excel, Word, the Internet, and reading forums (RFD), I need something that has nice clear text. PC Mag rated the text quality to be very good. In terms of the $115 difference ($100 difference and about $15 for shipping), I plan on keeping this panel for a few years, and the benefit to clear text and Samsung quality is more then worth the $$.

I have no reason to say that the Dell panel is bad, but if there are 2 panels and one has many reviews and the other none, I go for one with reviews.

Given the Dell return policy, one could get both panels (Samsung and Dell) and do a back to back comparison to see which is better.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2003
2100 posts
9 upvotes
I'd rather save the $100 + $14 in tax and get it from dell. Sure you have to wait for shipping, and sure it's new, but dell has decent support.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
sportmiester wrote: It all depends on what you plan to use it for OP, and whether a $100 price difference is enough to persuade you
$100 is quite a bit of diff. in price....

-------
puff_daddy_58_99 wrote: I'd rather save the $100 + $14 in tax and get it from dell. Sure you have to wait for shipping, and sure it's new, but dell has decent support.
lol are you implying that Samsung cas crappy support ? :razz:
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2003
2100 posts
9 upvotes
mahjongmaniac wrote: lol are you implying that Samsung cas crappy support ? :razz:
I've had a ton of bad experiences with dell technical support, but at the same time there have been a couple of instances where they just shipped the part, no questions, or they did go out of their way to make things right.

I have had no experiences with samsung support

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)