• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2009 9:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
95 posts

Futureshop Warranty Question

11 months ago I bought an LG laptop from Future Shop along with a 2 year extended warranty. Now it is not working.

I went there today and they said that I would have to contact LG and have them send me a box to ship out to them since this was within the first 12 months, so it is covered under LG.

This sounded odd. To my understanding the extended warranty starts as soon as I purchase the product, so shouldn't Futureshop should be taking care of this?

I thought that during the Futureshop warranty coverage, they ship it out to the manufactuurer, they deal with all that stuff, and I just get it back in the end.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2122 posts
112 upvotes
Medicine Hat
they might of just been lieing. they do that.

just wait it out 30 days, they tell them to deal with it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
they are correct. the Futureshop product is an extended warranty which begins after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

agreed - wait the extra month and let them deal with it. at least you're getting some value from the money you paid.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1062 posts
61 upvotes
Downtown TO
afaik, the PSP is exclusively with FS.... it overrides the manufacturer's warranty, although u technically are still covered by it. they ARE lying to you, go to the store and talk to the manager or something.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
95 posts
ok, it seemed too easy. I'm going to go to a different location and see if they pull the same crap again.

is there a difference in service between me sending it or them sending it? Granted I did pay for the service so I should have them send it to LG for repair.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6676 posts
2396 upvotes
BC
I thought this was well known among RFD forum members.

The FS PSP effectively starts only after the manufacturer's warranty ends.

It's part of the sales pitch. Smoke and mirrors to make you think you are getting more than you really are.

Time to read the small print on the back of their PSP leaflet.

I'll read it for you:

This plan complements but doe not replace the manufacturer's warranty.....
During the manufacturer's warranty coverage period, please contact the manufacturer directly, including for On-Site / Courier Service.

Ahhh, I don't have time for all this.
The FS guy told you exactly the right thing in this case (that's rare?).
Feb 8, 2009
235 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Funny the 'smoke and mirrors' pitch. I was told I could bring stuff into Future Shop anytime during my PSP and they will handle it.

That being said.. when I brought my laptop in, the fact it took them over 6 weeks to repair it.......
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
They will cover it AFTER 1 year (ie. manufacturer warranty).

A Note about Best buys PsP for cells (SHOULD BE SAME FOR FS) :

This was a GREAT thing with cell phones (before they moved to the monthly payment things). You could take ur cell to them, make up 3 bs repairs, and get a BRAND NEW cell phone (even a newer model) :lol:

Plus if you do something to ur cell that voids warranty (debranding for example) and u send it in for warranty through rogers, anything that the manufacturer charges u through rogers is payed for through the psp :lol:
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
95 posts
Went to a second location. Was told the same thing. LG does not allow FS to service LG laptops during manufacturer warranty coverage. I asked what is the point of buying a PSP that starts from day 1 when it can only be used after year 1.

Tech person said its only like that for LG. Other manufacturers are not like that.

---

From reading the replies in this thread, this has confused me.

I purchased the laptop on August 28. 2008.
I purchased 2-year extended warranty. It says it ends on August 28. 2010 on my receipt.

Exactly two years from the purchase date.

And from the posts in this thread I can only conclude either one of two things.

1) It is actually a 3 year warranty in total. 1 year manufacturer + 2 years PSP.

2) PSP starts after manufacturer, so runs 1 year only despite the fact that is says 2 years ending 2010.

and I don't believe that (1) could ever occur. So from now on I will buy only laptops where the manufacturer provides extended warranties themselves. All I know is that Acer, Dell and Lenovo have them, and I hate Acer and I cannot afford a Lenovo.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1148 posts
135 upvotes
YUL
Iterator wrote: I purchased the laptop on August 28. 2008.
I purchased 2-year extended warranty. It says it ends on August 28. 2010 on my receipt.

Exactly two years from the purchase date.

<snip>

I cannot afford a Lenovo.
This is unfortunate, what a scam.

Lenovo has several budgetline laptops (g530) and even the thinkpad sl400 and sl 500 laptops start at $530
Sep 27, 2003
10789 posts
3086 upvotes
Newmarket
As far as I know, when you buy a 2 year PSP from FS, it's really a 1 Year Manufacturer + 1 Year FS warranty...simply advertised as having 2 years of total warranty.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jan 6, 2008
26 posts
canada
It's a joke that they do that because it's essientially a one year warranty not a two year warranty that a customer purchases.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
95 posts
CRAZYBUBBA wrote: This is unfortunate, what a scam.

Lenovo has several budgetline laptops (g530) and even the thinkpad sl400 and sl 500 laptops start at $530
I just checked those models and they are too big for me. I have a 15.4" Acer and I don't like bringing it around with me since its not really portable.

My LG on the other hand is 13.3", slightly heavier than other 13.3's but still very portable. For $1000 it has everything! I could not upgrade it.
WorldIRC wrote: As far as I know, when you buy a 2 year PSP from FS, it's really a 1 Year Manufacturer + 1 Year FS warranty...simply advertised as having 2 years of total warranty.
antiflag14 wrote: It's a joke that they do that because it's essientially a one year warranty not a two year warranty that a customer purchases.
Yeah, useless. All that I am covered for from FS in the first year are power surges, they wouldn't even look to see what the problem was. It might have been a surge, most likely not but still...really useless.

$200+ for a 1-year warranty. I had a total 3 years coverage directly from Acer for less than that!

Oh well, I sent a repair request to LG, got approved this morning. They are sending me a box to send it in.

Its really funny and ironic, after working almost a year in retail I should have known to never trust a salesperson.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3481 posts
938 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Here's a rundown of Futureshop/Bestbuy PSP. Incoming wall of text. But it is informative.

When they sell you a 2 year PSP it means they guarantee coverage for two years from the purchase date.

Some products only have a 30 day manufacturer's warranty. Some have 1 year. some have 2 years. So a 2 year psp on those items would be good, ok, to nearly useless. But since it would be a impossible to keep a list of all the different warranties for all their products they just have one blanket policy that applies to anything you buy a psp for.

It is true that some manufacturers are very particular about their warranty. They honestly will not let FS send in your product for you. They require the owner to go through the process. These are always the companies that will send you a box and pay all shipping fees so it isn't a hassle for the customer. Other manufacturers will let futureshop send it in on the behalf of the owner. Once again since these policies often change, putting this entire list and explanation into the PSP fine print would make it very long. They just use the blanket statement of 'Bring it in to us anytime and we'll help you get it fixed'. This techincally does include them telling you about the free service that gateway provides in the first year to send the item to them.

Note: If FS is telling you that you have to send it to the manufacturer youself, you should never have to pay a cent. IF there is a cost associated with it (like having to ship it yourself) then the PSP does cover these costs. Either you can get it refunded from PSP (by writing a letter to PSP department with all documentation) or pressing the associate a little bit more. Which leads to the next point...

Some manufacturers will allow FS to send it in to them on your behalf. This is a hassle for the employee. They can do it. But it means they have to track the orders on paper since the FS computer system doesn't have direct access to all the manufacturere's systems. And it means that when you call in to FS in a couple weeks asking for a status update, they have to phone the manufacturer and sit on hold to ask for a status update. Then they have to phone you back. Yes it is technically their job since you bought a psp but it is a hassle just as it would be a hassle to you. So they will always attempt to tell the customer to send it to the manufacturer themselves during the first year. Unfortunatly it's nearly impossible for you to know if this is the employee being lazy or if it really is a manufacturer that won't let FS send it in. Many arguments stem from this inconsistency.

And as a last point. Some specific products are crap and the manufacturer knows it. Lets say a portable dvd player has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. They never advertize this outright, but they do not repair. On valid warranty claim they just send out a replacement unit. FS is aware of this and has flagged the item in their system. If you buy a PSP and bring it in to FS for repair they will do an exchange for you right their at the counter and send you on your way. They love these products because they get to state loudly how wonderful the PSP is and how it got you this immediate exchange on the item. This is only because the system knows the item is going to be a direct exchange for them once they send it in to the manufacturer. In these cases the PSP is quite handy.

Hope that helps

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)