• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2019 8:04 am
20 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13787 posts
14295 upvotes
Oakville
Good to know. I've only used paypal there so should be fine.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18998 posts
11856 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jon Lai wrote: Why was the site banned here?
Because they were PMing posters, offering free or discounted products in exchange for good reviews. Even before that I was unimpressed with their ethics. For example all the reviews on their site were either four or five star. Also my experience was that any review I submitted that wasn't at least 4 star never made it to their website. Stay away.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9462 posts
4193 upvotes
6ix
I remember seeing a Gear best rep here on the forum
Koodo $40 8GB
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32036 posts
17919 upvotes
Ottawa
PayPal FTW...well, until they're hacked also.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1875 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
bylo wrote: Because they were PMing posters, offering free or discounted products in exchange for good reviews. Even before that I was unimpressed with their ethics. For example all the reviews on their site were either four or five star. Also my experience was that any review I submitted that wasn't at least 4 star never made it to their website. Stay away.
Were the products good or not? If the products were good, then unban them. This is just silly vengeance by RFD that will prevent a lot of good deals being brought to hot deals. It's not like RFD members have eyes on all sites that are having good deals.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18998 posts
11856 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JoeStale wrote: Were the products good or not? If the products were good, then unban them. This is just silly vengeance by RFD that will prevent a lot of good deals being brought to hot deals. It's not like RFD members have eyes on all sites that are having good deals.
The issue has nothing to do with whether their products are good or bad but rather on their sleazy tactics to secure good reviews.

They're just a Chinese online vendor. You can find the same products for the same prices elsewhere, e.g. AliExpress, GeekBuying and about a zillion other sites.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
LOL

They basically left an unencrypted database open to the internet.

I don't know why I'm laughing... I've bought stuff from them.
Good thing I was thinking ahead and used my non primary credit card.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13787 posts
14295 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote: Because they were PMing posters, offering free or discounted products in exchange for good reviews. Even before that I was unimpressed with their ethics. For example all the reviews on their site were either four or five star. Also my experience was that any review I submitted that wasn't at least 4 star never made it to their website. Stay away.
Same thing happens by many Amazon sellers as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18998 posts
11856 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: They basically left an unencrypted database open to the internet.
Which is why I don't understand why anyone would want to do business with them, whether or not RFD has banned them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
bylo wrote: Which is why I don't understand why anyone would want to do business with them, whether or not RFD has banned them.
I did because they were the cheapest at the time out of all the Chinese sellers.
Besides... before this happened we had no idea how they actually stored things.

Only when things come to light do you realize how terrible things actually are.

Have a look at NCIX. Same thing basically happened to them when they shut down and they were fairly reputable.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18998 posts
11856 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: I did because they were the cheapest at the time out of all the Chinese sellers.
Besides... before this happened we had no idea how they actually stored things.
Sure, I bought stuff from them too. That's how I know about their sleazy practices first hand. And that's why I stopped doing business with them years ago. Even if they're slightly cheaper I'd rather pay a bit more to deal with someone else.
Have a look at NCIX. Same thing basically happened to them when they shut down and they were fairly reputable.
Yes, we know that unencrypted customer data was left on their storage drives when they went bust. Is there any evidence that any of that data was ever used in a nefarious manner?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
bylo wrote: Sure, I bought stuff from them too. That's how I know about their sleazy practices first hand. And that's why I stopped doing business with them years ago. Even if they're slightly cheaper I'd rather pay a bit more to deal with someone else.
What sleazy practices? (I'm genuinely asking, I have no idea)
I'm probably going to avoid them because of this, but it helps if there's more fuel for the fire.
Yes, we know that unencrypted customer data was left on their storage drives when they went bust. Is there any evidence that any of that data was ever used in a nefarious manner?
I remember reading that the guy that bought the hardware sold off the data to a buyer in China.
The guy that went investigating had full physical access as a "demo" before he was supposed to "buy" it.

What actually happened to the data I have no idea, but it's probably safe to say that it's out there somewhere being used by someone.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8293 posts
3493 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
engineered wrote: Same thing happens by many Amazon sellers as well.
Which is why those are constantly being cleaned up as well. Rules like the coupon code rule were specifically to combat this.