FYI Nest alarms may not pass City of Toronto inspection

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2018 7:30 pm
7 replies
Dec 9, 2013
430 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Fyi theres a lot of mis-information in that thread.
If your house was built prior to the current building codes and only uses battery operated smoke alarms, you can replace them with battery operated smoke alarms (such as the battery operated Nest).

If your house currently has hardwired smoke alarms, you have to replace them hardwired smoke alarms (such as the hardwired Nest) as battery operated smoke alarms are lowering the level of safety.

If your house currently has interconnected hardwired smoke alarms, you must replace them with interconnected hardwired smoke alarms (they all go off if one goes off) as battery smoke alarms or non-interconnected smoke alarms are lowering the level of safety.

Current building codes which include all new builds or anyone taking out a permit to renovate their house, asks for hardwired, interconnected smoke alarms with a strobe (every level + all bedrooms). The nest smoke alarms do not contain a strobe that meets the required levels in the current OBC.

Im a fire inspector so feel free to post this info in that reddit thread. Any questions or if you require an in-person visit just call your local municipality fire prevention division. Its free (well technically your property taxes pay for it).
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3345 posts
777 upvotes
miscbrah1 wrote: Fyi theres a lot of mis-information in that thread.
If your house was built prior to the current building codes and only uses battery operated smoke alarms, you can replace them with battery operated smoke alarms (such as the battery operated Nest).

If your house currently has hardwired smoke alarms, you have to replace them hardwired smoke alarms (such as the hardwired Nest) as battery operated smoke alarms are lowering the level of safety.

If your house currently has interconnected hardwired smoke alarms, you must replace them with interconnected hardwired smoke alarms (they all go off if one goes off) as battery smoke alarms or non-interconnected smoke alarms are lowering the level of safety.

Current building codes which include all new builds or anyone taking out a permit to renovate their house, asks for hardwired, interconnected smoke alarms with a strobe (every level + all bedrooms). The nest smoke alarms do not contain a strobe that meets the required levels in the current OBC.

Im a fire inspector so feel free to post this info in that reddit thread. Any questions or if you require an in-person visit just call your local municipality fire prevention division. Its free (well technically your property taxes pay for it).
What about CO2 detectors in the current code?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4411 posts
880 upvotes
I went through this.

Just install an extra alarm on each floor and merit the red interconnect wires coming into the box. Or go off an existing light fixture.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2773 upvotes
miscbrah1 wrote: If your house currently has interconnected hardwired smoke alarms, you must replace them with interconnected hardwired smoke alarms (they all go off if one goes off) as battery smoke alarms or non-interconnected smoke alarms are lowering the level of safety.
I think the issue is that the Nest alarms are interconnected wirelessly, not hardwired (the connection, not the power source). Technically that violates the code, and we're still waiting to see if there's going to be an update regarding wireless interconnection.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3429 posts
927 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
interconnect functionality of smoke or Carbom monoxide alarms is not a mandatory required function, it is more of a nice to have, so as long as the alarm is present in a house you are good, now for a mdu or other type of building other than a house the building codes are different but for a simple house, nest should do fine
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9891 posts
1444 upvotes
We have interconnected ones but our alarms are battery operated and not hardwired either.

Is that a problem or just a risk? Meaning the alarm SHOULD still go off right? Its just that the others wont if it does not detect anything...
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1079 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
I thought wired nest protect was hardwired for power not for connectivity like older alarms alerting each other. I thought nests only communicate wirlessless to each other. Which at the time I research did not meet code of hardwire interxonnected

I could be wrong it's been awhile