FYI: PC Financial ATM's will charge you "Convenience fees"

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 8:34 pm
Nov 24, 2014
384 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto, ON

FYI: PC Financial ATM's will charge you "Convenience fees"

Long story short, I still have my PC Financial debit card (not a Simplii one) and used the PCF ATM at my local Loblaws and was surprised to see a "$3 Convenience fee" added to my receipt.
I honestly don't recall any warning that I would be charged any fees. (unless it was in a small text on screen or somewhere else on the machine)
I know there is a transition underway, but I expected some more overt kind of warning about the fee similar to what you encounter using an ATM owned by another bank.(which I guess is now the case)
I did notice the interface looked different and it was one of the physically smaller machines but it does seem like poaching considering my the banking card and the ATM share the same colours, branding and name of financial institution.
Confused Face

note: I must add that I regularly use the instore valumart/superstore/Loblaws PCF ATMs (even a day prior to this incident) and this was the first time I was charged a fee.
I was kinda thinking/hoping that Loblaws and Simplii had made an agreement to keep the machines working for the sake/convenience of all the loyal PC banking customers.

(2nd edit for typos)
Last edited by dieseldub on Dec 30th, 2017 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
47 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7848 posts
8795 upvotes
dieseldub wrote: Long story short, I still have my PC Financial debit card (not a Simplii one) and used the PCF ATM at my local Loblaws and was surprised to see a "$3 Convenience fee" added to my receipt.
I honestly don't recall any warning that I would be charged any fees. (unless it was in a small text on screen or somewhere else on the machine)
I know there is a transition underway, but I expected some more overt kind of warning about the fee similar to what you encounter using an ATM owned by another bank.(which I guess is now the case)
I did notice the interface looked different and it was one of the physically smaller machines but it does seem like poaching considering my the banking card and the ATM share the same colours, branding and name of financial institution.
Confused Face
You were warned and warned again on all the mailers and informational stuff they've been sending out....

You're a Simplii Financial customer as of Nov 1 and yes, you will be charged if you use a non-CIBC bank machine. Simplii will also charge you $1.50 on top of the $3 machine fee.

I'm surprised that people are still trying to use PC machines when they've been very clear they are closing all locations and removing all machines.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not every Simplii customer has gotten their new cards yet. I think Simplii said some people might not get their cards until March.

Isn't a "PCF" ATM identical to a Simplii ATM? (In other words, is there such a thing called a Simplii ATM?) When I opened my Simplii (PCF at the time) account, they told me to put my first deposit into the CIBC ATM there.

So while it's only $3, that's not acceptable. Call Simplii, get that fee refunded... and wait for that card.
Nov 24, 2014
384 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am aware of the transition, but just letting readers know that the transition is now happened /happening.
I was not charged the extra $1.50 Simplii charge, just the $3 machine fee .
I must add that I regularly use the instore valumart/superstore/Loblaws PCF ATMs (even a day prior to this incident) and this was the first time I was charged a fee.
So my post is just a FYI.

That said I better check my contact info as I have not received any mailers (or updated bank card)
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
959 upvotes
YK
dieseldub wrote: I am aware of the transition, but just letting readers know that the transition is now happened /happening.
I must add that I regularly use the instore valumart/superstore/Loblaws PCF ATMs (even a day prior to this incident) and this was the first time I was charged a fee.

That said I better check my contact info as I have not received any mailers (or updated bank card)
Use any CIBC bank or machine.
Ask for cash back when you pay for your groceries. Even a pack of gum purchased and get cash back.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
NoWynne2018 wrote: Use any CIBC bank or machine.
Ask for cash back when you pay for your groceries. Even a pack of gum purchased and get cash back.
Then return the pack of gum Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1024 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
The machine must inform you of any fees and give you the option to cancel the transaction without charge.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
superfresh89 wrote: You were warned and warned again on all the mailers and informational stuff they've been sending out....
Agreed, people who don't know about this are ignorant.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7848 posts
8795 upvotes
dieseldub wrote: I am aware of the transition, but just letting readers know that the transition is now happened /happening.

The $1.50 will be charged at the end of the month.

They are closing and moving the ATMs in waves, guess your store was included in the most recent wave.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7848 posts
8795 upvotes
FoFai2015 wrote: Not every Simplii customer has gotten their new cards yet. I think Simplii said some people might not get their cards until March.

Isn't a "PCF" ATM identical to a Simplii ATM? (In other words, is there such a thing called a Simplii ATM?) When I opened my Simplii (PCF at the time) account, they told me to put my first deposit into the CIBC ATM there.

So while it's only $3, that's not acceptable. Call Simplii, get that fee refunded... and wait for that card.
It doesn't matter whether or not you got the new card yet. You're automatically a Simplii customer since Nov 1st.

A new PCF machine is not the same as a CIBC machine. The old machines were PC Branded CIBC ATMs. Now they are PC's (Loblaws) very own ATMs.

There are no such thing as a Simplii machine, only CIBC ATMs.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
the PCF machines were so much conveniently located. I go to SS all the time, was perfect, get a deposit going while going to the same location, shopping. Now I have to go out of my way and go to a CIBC branch. Where I will not be doing there anything else.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Messerschmitt wrote: the PCF machines were so much conveniently located. I go to SS all the time, was perfect, get a deposit going while going to the same location, shopping. Now I have to go out of my way and go to a CIBC branch. Where I will not be doing there anything else.
It's not like any of the competing banks are offering groceries. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Mercury048 wrote: The machine must inform you of any fees and give you the option to cancel the transaction without charge.
That's my understanding as well.
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
I for one will thank OP for the warning. If this was spelled out in all the transition communication, I too missed it. I haven't tried to use the PC ATMs, but like OP, I might be tempted to think that my currently possessed PC debit card could be used penalty free in those ATMs. Having never paid a bank fee or ATM fee in my life, that would've been a rude awakening! Thanks OP for taking one for this team! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
I also thank OP for the reminder. Some days I am just on automatic.
Old habits die hard.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
dieseldub wrote: I honestly don't recall any warning that I would be charged any fees. (unless it was in a small text on screen or somewhere else on the machine)
There was definitely a warning, and you would have had to actually push a button to accept the fee in order to continue the transaction (there would have been an option also to end the transaction). This is mandatory on any ATM that is not your brand so will charge a fee.

If somehow PCF ATMs are not displaying the fee they will charge to Simplii and other bank brands, that would be a major violation on some level for PCF.
angel_wing0 wrote: Strange, i thought all PCF ATMs are gone already...they still exist?
The PCF ATM is still up and running at the North York Centre Loblaws. Perhaps Loblaws intends to use them as cash machines like some of the independent ones you sometimes find. Or perhaps they will use them for their points programs or credit cards?
Nov 24, 2014
384 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rob444 wrote: There was definitely a warning, and you would have had to actually push a button to accept the fee in order to continue the transaction (there would have been an option also to end the transaction). This is mandatory on any ATM that is not your brand so will charge a fee.

If somehow PCF ATMs are not displaying the fee they will charge to Simplii and other bank brands, that would be a major violation on some level for PCF.
After re-reading my original post, I should clarify that :
-yes I am aware that using another bank's machine would result in fees.
-I have been using similar PCF machines in loblaws/valumart/superstore locations, even the prior day without being charged extra
-what I meant to communicate overall was I -did not- get an onscreen warning.
-even on autopilot, I would not press an "accept charges" prompt, so that is why I was surprised to see the charge.

In the end I was not bitching, I was just putting the word out to the community.

Peace out
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
dieseldub wrote: After re-reading my original post, I should clarify that :
-yes I am aware that using another bank's machine would result in fees.
-I have been using similar PCF machines in loblaws/valumart/superstore locations, even the prior day without being charged extra
-what I meant to communicate overall was I -did not- get an onscreen warning.
-even on autopilot, I would not press an "accept charges" prompt, so that is why I was surprised to see the charge.

In the end I was not bitching, I was just putting the word out to the community.

Peace out
I would actually call PCF to complain. If they are not displaying the fee they will charge and giving you option to continue, that is unacceptable.

Even if the dollar amount isn't much, at least it may get them to change their ATM process. I'm sure lots if Simplii customers with old PCF debit cards would be in same situation as you.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1024 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
dieseldub wrote: -what I meant to communicate overall was I -did not- get an onscreen warning.
While I can't confirm this right now, that sounds downright illegal. It's definitely something to raise a fuss over.