G Road Test Emergency Brake?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 11:22 am
[OP]
Jul 21, 2019
87 posts
134 upvotes

G Road Test Emergency Brake?

I am doing my G Road Test tomorrow, and I am wondering if I have to use my emergency brake. For my G2 I used the car of my teacher for the class I took and it had a parking brake that was like a lever that I used when parking. My car now is a Challenger and doesn't have that, it has an emergency brake off to the left hand side, I have never used it, would I have to use it when parking?

Also does anyone know if you are allowed to use a backup camera when parallel parking? Since my car is a coupe and the way the windows are it is very hard to look out the back/sides when parking, you can barely see, I normally have to use the mirrors and backup camera.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4170 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
Start using your "parking brakes" on daily basis. It will save your transmission from loosing a claw or two.

If your car jerks each time you park, you are not using your parking brakes.

If for any reason, your examiner ask you to use your parking brakes for emergency stop, wow you know how!

For reversing, you need to turn your head where you are traveling. But also look side to side. Go from turn your head to back to your non existing window, go 270 degree to driver window view, look towards passenger and now back window. Do this few times to show your examiner, you are awesome!
Last edited by peteryorkuca on Aug 15th, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 25, 2018
271 posts
466 upvotes
Emergency brake is your electronic hand brake. Use it when you were told to park, otherwise expect failing.

You can do whatever you want when parallel parking. However, expect failing if you used the back up camera.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5193 posts
5085 upvotes
Vancouver
You should always use your parking brake when parking. It's the primary way to keep your car from rolling away. The transmission P lock should be used as a secondary device. Far too many drivers do this the other way around, thinking P is primary and parking brake is secondary (or doesn't get used at all).

What's a G and a G2, anyway?
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10181 posts
2484 upvotes
Markham
AlicW93740 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:49 am

You can do whatever you want when parallel parking. However, expect failing if you used the back up camera.
Really, I always thought that it would be much easier for new drivers now since they have the parking camera and the parking sensor.
So if the examiner see the student looking at the back up camera when trying to park, they will fail them?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 18, 2017
593 posts
1012 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:15 pm
Really, I always thought that it would be much easier for new drivers now since they have the parking camera and the parking sensor.
So if the examiner see the student looking at the back up camera when trying to park, they will fail them?
Interesting! In BC, the use of the reverse camera is encouraged (even for exams), because it’s field of view is better than if the driver were to just turn their head. You’re still required to do a shoulder check, but examiners want you using the camera if it comes installed with your vehicle.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4170 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
vancityguy0 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:21 pm
Interesting! In BC, the use of the reverse camera is encouraged (even for exams), because it’s field of view is better than if the driver were to just turn their head. You’re still required to do a shoulder check, but examiners want you using the camera if it comes installed with your vehicle.
I see so many drivers in mall parking head glued to their screen reversing. Have no clue about their surroundings and people walking abouts.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2019
87 posts
134 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:10 pm
You should always use your parking brake when parking. It's the primary way to keep your car from rolling away. The transmission P lock should be used as a secondary device. Far too many drivers do this the other way around, thinking P is primary and parking brake is secondary (or doesn't get used at all).

I may sound like an idiot, but where is the parking brake? The only thing I see is a small pedal to the left which I thought was an emergency brake, it is also extremely hard to push down, I literally have to stomp on it very hard to get it to click in. Is that the parking brake? In my instructors car when I took a class, there was a lever right beside the drivers seat that he said was the parking brake, but I don't have anything like that in my car.

Also G2 is like your first license, you have to do a road test for it which is only about 10 minutes, and after passing you are allowed to drive on your own, but there is a few minor restrictions. The G is your full license and you have to take within 5 years of getting your G1 (G1 is just a written test and a learner's permit, you can only drive with someone else), otherwise you have to start all over again. Apparently from what I have heard the G road test is about 30 minutes long and a lot more is tested than in the G2.
Dec 18, 2017
593 posts
1012 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
peteryorkuca wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:28 pm
I see so many drivers in mall parking head glued to their screen reversing. Have no clue about their surroundings and people walking abouts.
Yes because most backup camera can show you 170° view on an 8” screen which is something you can’t do on your own as a human. But you’re also required to be aware of what’s happening beyond the 170° view that your camera is displaying. This is where drivers screw up - unless their cars have pedestrian alerts or blind spot monitoring.

The key to doing this right isn’t to rely only on the screen but to use your eyes to check what else is around you that could suddenly move without warning.

This is OT by the way. Sorry OP.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Dec 18, 2017
593 posts
1012 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Brandon26 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:34 pm
I may sound like an idiot, but where is the parking brake? The only thing I see is a small pedal to the left which I thought was an emergency brake, it is also extremely hard to push down, I literally have to stomp on it very hard to get it to click in. Is that the parking brake? In my instructors car when I took a class, there was a lever right beside the drivers seat that he said was the parking brake, but I don't have anything like that in my car.

Also G2 is like your first license, you have to do a road test for it which is only about 10 minutes, and after passing you are allowed to drive on your own, but there is a few minor restrictions. The G is your full license and you have to take within 5 years of getting your G1 (G1 is just a written test and a learner's permit, you can only drive with someone else), otherwise you have to start all over again. Apparently from what I have heard the G road test is about 30 minutes long and a lot more is tested than in the G2.
Yes that’s the parking brake.

Some cars have buttons, others have hand brakes, which yours has a foot pedal. They all function the same way. It’s just something you’ll need to get used to.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17155 posts
2727 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:

Ontario licenses have 3 levels:
G1, which is the entry-level license. Holders can't drive at night, on the highway, or with a blood alcohol level above 0%, and must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver at all times.

G2, which is the intermediate one. It's basically the same as a full G license except for the blood alcohol level rule, and it has an expiration date if you don't advance to the next level.

Full G license, which is just a regular driver's license.

OP, there's no such thing as an 'emergency brake'. There are your regular brakes and the parking brake, that's it. I'd advise that you rent a car that's easier to drive and use that for your test if you're uncertain of your ability to pass in your regular car.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Jul 21, 2019
87 posts
134 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:39 pm
Ontario licenses have 3 levels:
G1, which is the entry-level license. Holders can't drive at night, on the highway, or with a blood alcohol level above 0%, and must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver at all times.

G2, which is the intermediate one. It's basically the same as a full G license except for the blood alcohol level rule, and it has an expiration date if you don't advance to the next level.

Full G license, which is just a regular driver's license.

OP, there's no such thing as an 'emergency brake'. There are your regular brakes and the parking brake, that's it. I'd advise that you rent a car that's easier to drive and use that for your test if you're uncertain of your ability to pass in your regular car.
Thanks, lol I always thought there was an emergency brake for if your normal brakes fail you can use it to stop, but guess it's just a parking brake, I swear some people call it an emergency brake though lol. I hope I don't have to use it much in the test, I think from what I have heard you only have park once or maybe twice, so should be alright.

I think I'm going to try and use a bit of the backup camera, in combination with mirrors and looking out the back, like I normally do. Would be dumb if they fail for that since most people use it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1982 posts
1308 upvotes
Ottawa
Kiraly wrote:
G1 = your class 7 L
G2 = your class 7 N
G = your full class 5
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3365 posts
2048 upvotes
Brandon26 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:47 pm
Thanks, lol I always thought there was an emergency brake for if your normal brakes fail you can use it to stop, but guess it's just a parking brake, I swear some people call it an emergency brake though lol. I hope I don't have to use it much in the test, I think from what I have heard you only have park once or maybe twice, so should be alright.

I think I'm going to try and use a bit of the backup camera, in combination with mirrors and looking out the back, like I normally do. Would be dumb if they fail for that since most people use it.
Unless you are born in the 60s or 70s, I don't think you would have heard it called emergency brake. It's been parking brake for a long time. Because if your real brake fails, rarely would a parking brake save you ass. It'll probably be burned up pretty quick.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3365 posts
2048 upvotes
Chrno wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 12:50 pm
G1 = your class 7 L
G2 = your class 7 N
G = your full class 5
Why can't the whole country call it the same damn thing...

In AB:

G1 = Class 7
G2 = Class 5 GDL
G = Class 5

GDL in AB doesn't have expiry date and doesn't have insurance implications (yet). If you can deal with the drinking restriction, you can keep that forever.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)