• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2010 10:29 am
[OP]
Feb 9, 2010
98 posts
3 upvotes

g2 insurance

i just got my g2 today and apparently i need insurance to drive even with my parents. it's funny, you get your g2 and you arent even supposed to drive out of the driving test parking lot (i did anyways). so my question is, could i just drive with my parents, and if i got pulled over i could just show my g1 to an officer and he would never know im a g2 driver without insurance, for the moment until im covered. is there any way a police officer could know i actually have a g2?

Also, it was my understanding that insurance follows the car not the person. so why would i need insurance if the car already has it?

i dont really know how insurance works so any help would be great. thank you.
6 replies
May 27, 2007
15684 posts
3109 upvotes
Toronto
8) wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 8:51 pm
i just got my g2 today and apparently i need insurance to drive even with my parents. it's funny, you get your g2 and you arent even supposed to drive out of the driving test parking lot (i did anyways). so my question is, could i just drive with my parents, and if i got pulled over i could just show my g1 to an officer and he would never know im a g2 driver without insurance, for the moment until im covered. is there any way a police officer could know i actually have a g2?

Also, it was my understanding that insurance follows the car not the person. so why would i need insurance if the car already has it?

Did they not put a sticker on your G1 license saying "Photo ID ONLY"?

You cannot drive without insurance with a G2. And if you get pulled over, the police can check their system and see you got a G2. And after that happens, you're probably going to get ticketed for failure to produce a valid drivers license + failure to have insurance.

and also, insurance goes with the person.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18444 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA West
8) wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 8:51 pm

WOW... So much bad info in this post that I'm dumbfounded. I don't even know where to begin. :-0

If you are a previously banned troll who came back then you deserve top marks for creativity!
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4614 posts
461 upvotes
AcidBomber wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 9:12 pm

You cannot drive without insurance with a G2. And if you get pulled over, the police can check their system and see you got a G2. And after that happens, you're probably going to get ticketed for failure to produce a valid drivers license + failure to have insurance.

Yes the Police has the info for the licence and also can call the insurance company to check if you are insured under the policy number. DO NOT show your G1, he will find out you have G2 and then be on your case even more. If he pulled you over for just a random check or something, then show your G2 and your parents policy. They usually will just let you go. As they will have to call the insurance company to check if you are listed under the policy or not. They have straight access to if the policy is valid though. In this case, ur parents policy should be valid.
He can't get a ticket for failure to have insurance when the car is insured. But if the cop wants to be a jerk, he can call up the insurance company and notify them that the owner of the car/insurance (the parents) that they did not add their son/daughter as a secondary driver on the car. Then insurance company can either:
a) force them to add his name as secondary.
b) drop his insurance for failing to inform them of another driver in the household.
c) increase his premiums (dont know if this is possible for the reason)

ontario law does say you have to report all drivers to insurance company. I've never heard of a cop ticketing for no insurance when the car has insurance. He might give him no proof of insurance, im not sure. I'll have to check the HTA in my Traffic Management book.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2010
98 posts
3 upvotes
AcidBomber wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 9:12 pm

my licence looked the same as when i gave it. no sticker. nothing.

azncapcom wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 9:46 pm
Yes the Police has the info for the licence and also can call the insurance company to check if you are insured under the policy number. DO NOT show your G1, he will find out you have G2 and then be on your case even more. If he pulled you over for just a random check or something, then show your G2 and your parents policy. They usually will just let you go. As they will have to call the insurance company to check if you are listed under the policy or not. They have straight access to if the policy is valid though. In this case, ur parents policy should be valid.
He can't get a ticket for failure to have insurance when the car is insured. But if the cop wants to be a jerk, he can call up the insurance company and notify them that the owner of the car/insurance (the parents) that they did not add their son/daughter as a secondary driver on the car. Then insurance company can either:
a) force them to add his name as secondary.
b) drop his insurance for failing to inform them of another driver in the household.
c) increase his premiums (dont know if this is possible for the reason)

ontario law does say you have to report all drivers to insurance company. I've never heard of a cop ticketing for no insurance when the car has insurance. He might give him no proof of insurance, im not sure. I'll have to check the HTA in my Traffic Management book.
hey thanks for the help. you seem to be educated on this subject and it seems by what you have written that the insurance does follow the car. i will also assume that you only have to report drivers in your household to the insurance. so my question is would i be able to "borrow" my friends car and be covered under his insurance? since i do not live in his household, and thus do not need to be reported to his insurance.
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 9:14 pm
WOW... So much bad info in this post that I'm dumbfounded. I don't even know where to begin. :-0

If you are a previously banned troll who came back then you deserve top marks for creativity!
Bad info in the responses as well :|
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8090 posts
981 upvotes
Ontario
Your parents, assuming you live in the same household with them, were obligated to advise their insurer on or about the day you got your G1 lic. There is no charge for G1 drivers until you reach the G2 level.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience