• Feb 1st, 2018 12:04 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA

G2 and insurance claims.

I got rear ended today and the other driver told me that since I have only a G2 license that filing an insurance claim will cause my rates to go up and I will be paying out of pocket. They also said that since they have no fault insurance that their insurance company wouldn't pay me. I'm 99% sure this is BS but I wanted to get confirmation before I filed a claim or anything. I told the other party that I would be willing to negotiate outside of insurance but they told me to GTFO.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
In ontario, if you rear end someone you are following too close. Sounds like the other driver is trying to intimidate you.
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
6mthatch wrote: In ontario, if you rear end someone you are following too close. Sounds like the other driver is trying to intimidate you.
Yup, they told me that they heard the G2 thing from their insurance broker which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard (admitting to your insurance company that you rear-ended someone)
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
2240 posts
2272 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kherani wrote: I got rear ended today and the other driver told me that since I have only a G2 license that filing an insurance claim will cause my rates to go up and I will be paying out of pocket. They also said that since they have no fault insurance that their insurance company wouldn't pay me. I'm 99% sure this is BS but I wanted to get confirmation before I filed a claim or anything. I told the other party that I would be willing to negotiate outside of insurance but they told me to GTFO.
Stop all contact with them and go thru insurance immediately.

PS. of course it's BS.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
Go through insurance. Wreck em.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
-----------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
lol wtf go thru insurance this person deserves to get rekt
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
You really need to be uptodate with all the basic knowledge once you get your license (doesn't matter if it is G2/G) and start driving on the roads. You may get into situations where you need to take immediate decisions CONFIDENTLY and you might not have the luxury of time for consulting RFDers. A slight bit of hesitancy on your part and the other party may be all over you even if they were at fault.

I only hope that you didn't neglect to take all the required information in order to be able to file a report at the collision center and with your insurance company.

Go through your insurance without any delay.
Last edited by Holystone on Jan 30th, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
As long as you are not-at-fault, there is no impact on your rates, G2 or otherwise.

Technically his insurer would never pay you, they pay your own insurer- this is the meaning of no fault.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
Holystone wrote: You really need to be uptodate with all the basic knowledge once you get your license (doesn't matter if it is G2/G) and start driving on the roads. You may get into situations where you need to take immediate decisions CONFIDENTLY and you might not have the luxury of time for consulting RFDers. A slight bit of hesitancy on your part and the other party may be all over you even if they were at fault.

I only hope that you didn't neglect to take all the required information in order to be able to file a report at the collision center and with your insurance company.
No hesitation on my part, they told me that there was no damage, I told them I disagree and I would be taking it to my body shop and then insurance if they didn't want to cooperate. I got their license, insurance slip and plate number. I'm actually thinking about contacting the insurance company right now and giving up on them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Give up on them and start a claim. No good will come from trying to accommodate the other party in this case. They’ll give you headaches and grief at every turn. File the claim and put it behind you.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
494 upvotes
Rockwood
Call your insurance company now and start the claim process, this person obviously is not willing to accept what they've done and any further communication with them will be like getting blood from a stone.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Kherani wrote: No hesitation on my part, they told me that there was no damage, I told them I disagree and I would be taking it to my body shop and then insurance if they didn't want to cooperate. I got their license, insurance slip and plate number. I'm actually thinking about contacting the insurance company right now and giving up on them.
In the 90s when I was still living in Vancouver, someone rear-ended me in Richmond and although there was no sign of physical damage but a nick, the repair cost a little over $2,000.

Got to teach that frick a lesson not to tailgate in the future if he can't afford a premium increase.
Sep 18, 2009
504 posts
223 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Like everyone else is saying, it's a lie. I was also rear ended when I had my G2 in 2016 and my rates went down the following year (and I live/drive/registered in brampton). No visible damage except for a scratch, went over 1K for repairs. Also no deductible, 100% fault on other driver
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
55 upvotes
Nyl wrote: Like everyone else is saying, it's a lie. I was also rear ended when I had my G2 in 2016 and my rates went down the following year (and I live/drive/registered in brampton). No visible damage except for a scratch, went over 1K for repairs. Also no deductible, 100% fault on other driver
+1

^ Totally agree. Just call it quits with this A**hole and go through insurance. Whenever anyone rear ends you, it's their fault, no and if or buts. This guy sounds like a total douche bag. OP I'd also get the mechanic to take apart the bumper to see if there are any internal damages. One of my coworkers got rear ended, and when they took apart the bumper they found a pipe that was bent because of the collision.

And if you want to take it to the extreme, go to physiotherapy claiming you have anxiety attack and back problems. Then 2 years later sue the bastard. That's if you want to teach that guy a lesson, if not, just go with a claim instead.
Mar 17, 2010
205 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
deepanMedia wrote: +1

^ Totally agree. Just call it quits with this A**hole and go through insurance. Whenever anyone rear ends you, it's their fault, no and if or buts. This guy sounds like a total douche bag. OP I'd also get the mechanic to take apart the bumper to see if there are any internal damages. One of my coworkers got rear ended, and when they took apart the bumper they found a pipe that was bent because of the collision.

And if you want to take it to the extreme, go to physiotherapy claiming you have anxiety attack and back problems. Then 2 years later sue the bastard. That's if you want to teach that guy a lesson, if not, just go with a claim instead.
:facepalm:

OK don't do that...these are the type of things that cause everyone's premiums to go up year after year.
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
55 upvotes
desistylzz wrote: :facepalm:

OK don't do that...these are the type of things that cause everyone's premiums to go up year after year.
I did mention.."..if not, just go with a claim instead." It's just that the guy who rear ended him sounds like a retard and tried to take advantage of OP. But I do understand what you mean as well, hence why the rates in Brampton are so higher now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
100% untrue.... doesn't matter what type of drivers lic you have, buddy hit you in the rear, totally 100% his fault. In ontario, regardless of fault, you file the claim under your OWN insurance policy. Not at fault claims will be paid under the direct compensation portion of the policy and usually carry a 0 deductible. At fault accidents fall under the collision portion of the policy and usually carry a deductible.
Kherani wrote: I got rear ended today and the other driver told me that since I have only a G2 license that filing an insurance claim will cause my rates to go up and I will be paying out of pocket. They also said that since they have no fault insurance that their insurance company wouldn't pay me. I'm 99% sure this is BS but I wanted to get confirmation before I filed a claim or anything. I told the other party that I would be willing to negotiate outside of insurance but they told me to GTFO.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
deepanMedia wrote: I did mention.."..if not, just go with a claim instead." It's just that the guy who rear ended him sounds like a retard and tried to take advantage of OP. But I do understand what you mean as well, hence why the rates in Brampton are so higher now.
Lawsuits are handled by insurance companies. The other driver wouldn't be out a penny so a lawsuit wouldn't harm in the least. What it does do is cause insurance premiums to go up across the entire province.