• May 7th, 2019 8:54 am
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC

G9 or E-M1 Mk2, or selling all m43 lenses and switch to Fujifilm

Hi there,
Still can't decide b/w the G9 and E-M1 after reading many reviews/discussion threads. So I'm asking fellow RFDers which one would you choose b/w these 2?
Or sell all m43 lenses and switch to Fujifilm?
- They're both roughly the same price now.
- Currently only have 3 m43 lenses (1 cheap Oly, 1 pricey Oly, 1 pricey Panny) so can't really take advantage of the dual IS/DFD.
- Not interested in full-frame, been there/done that. The pics are amazing, but the weight and price involved was not pleasant.
- Fujifilm had a good deal on the X-T3 last month, but I missed it.
- Wait for E-M5 Mk III, or sell all m43 and just go with the X-T30?
- Some say m43 has no future due to physical limitation/system not designed for on-sensor phase detection (kind of some truth behind it, but Sharp just join m43 so I don't know).
Thanks in advance.
20 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
I vote for E-M1 Mk2. 1 reason: phase detect auto-focus.

You should switch to Fuji only if you feel limited by the M43 format. I don't know what you are looking for in a camera so it's hard to tell you to switch system.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
Gin Martini wrote: I vote for E-M1 Mk2. 1 reason: phase detect auto-focus.

You should switch to Fuji only if you feel limited by the M43 format. I don't know what you are looking for in a camera so it's hard to tell you to switch system.
Thanks for the reply.
I like the m43 but feel limited by:
- C-AF (will it get better with E-M5 Mk3? Nobody knows, I guess. And people seem divided regarding whose C-AF is better between the M1 Mk2's and G9's.)
- High ISO (unlikely to change until that organic sensor that some people are talking about? It seems like speculation at this point)

Regarding the high ISO, I had a full-frame before. The difference is PQ is noticeable in both how clean/higher resolution. However, I ended up leaving the full-frame camera/lenses at home (because they're too heavy for me) and taking my m43 camera/lenses with me when traveling. I've never tried a Fujifilm camera/lens before.

- What bugs me is that the cheaper X-T30 seem to have better AF and video than the more expensive Olympus/Panasonic flagship cameras. However, the cheaper Fujifilm cameras don't have IBIS. What really impresses me about Fujifilm X-T3/T30 is that according to reviews their AF/video is one of the best available out there. I would like to do more wildlife/bird photography, and some claim that Fujifilm C-AF is almost as good as the Nikon D500/Sony top-of-the-line cameras.
- Again given the physical limitation, I have doubt about m43 future. Panasonic seems to switch to full frame, and Olympus did abandon the OM mount during the AF 35mm film era. So I dunno, lol.

I guess many people were hoping for Oly to release a new M1/M5 Mk3 in Jan 2019, but instead we got the giant M1X which defeats the small & light adv of m43 system. Kind of a letdown.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: Thanks for the reply.
I like the m43 but feel limited by:
- C-AF (will it get better with E-M5 Mk3? Nobody knows, I guess. And people seem divided regarding whose C-AF is better between the M1 Mk2's and G9's.)
- High ISO (unlikely to change until that organic sensor that some people are talking about? It seems like speculation at this point)

Regarding the high ISO, I had a full-frame before. The difference is PQ is noticeable in both how clean/higher resolution. However, I ended up leaving the full-frame camera/lenses at home (because they're too heavy for me) and taking my m43 camera/lenses with me when traveling. I've never tried a Fujifilm camera/lens before.

- What bugs me is that the cheaper X-T30 seem to have better AF and video than the more expensive Olympus/Panasonic flagship cameras. However, the cheaper Fujifilm cameras don't have IBIS. What really impresses me about Fujifilm X-T3/T30 is that according to reviews their AF/video is one of the best available out there. I would like to do more wildlife/bird photography, and some claim that Fujifilm C-AF is almost as good as the Nikon D500/Sony top-of-the-line cameras.
- Again given the physical limitation, I have doubt about m43 future. Panasonic seems to switch to full frame, and Olympus did abandon the OM mount during the AF 35mm film era. So I dunno, lol.

I guess many people were hoping for Oly to release a new M1/M5 Mk3 in Jan 2019, but instead we got the giant M1X which defeats the small & light adv of m43 system. Kind of a letdown.
PDAF has me seriously looking at the E-M1 Mk2, but from what I hear, DFD on the newer Panasonics comes close for C-AF. I ordered a G9 and rented an EM-1 MkII, so I will let you know how it goes.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
unshavenyak wrote: PDAF has me seriously looking at the E-M1 Mk2, but from what I hear, DFD on the newer Panasonics comes close for C-AF. I ordered a G9 and rented an EM-1 MkII, so I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks, appreciate it. How do you find the G9 viewfinder? I tried the demo out in store, and found the pincushion view too much. Some claimed (later) production ones suffer less pincushion viewfinder, but I don't want to buy and return -- if it turns out the pincushion view in the VF is as bad as the demo. (Also, it was the first Panasonic camera that I tried. DFD is quite unique I guess; will definitely take some time getting used to -- if I decide to get the G9.)

I guess you're somewhat invested in the m43 ecosystem too? I read online, and some claim the G9 DFD C-AF is even better than the M1.2. Still some say that DFD C-AF is still quite behind Sony/Fujifilm/Canon/Nikon C-AF which makes me hesitant. I had the original E-M1 and the M5.2, and both had bad C-AF, IMO. Really want a camera that is more competent with moving objects/wildlife/BIF.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: Thanks, appreciate it. How do you find the G9 viewfinder? I tried the demo out in store, and found the pincushion view too much. Some claimed (later) production ones suffer less pincushion viewfinder, but I don't want to buy and return -- if it turns out the pincushion view in the VF is as bad as the demo. (Also, it was the first Panasonic camera that I tried. DFD is quite unique I guess; will definitely take some time getting used to -- if I decide to get the G9.)

I guess you're somewhat invested in the m43 ecosystem too? I read online, and some claim the G9 DFD C-AF is even better than the M1.2. Still some say that DFD C-AF is still quite behind Sony/Fujifilm/Canon/Nikon C-AF which makes me hesitant. I had the original E-M1 and the M5.2, and both had bad C-AF, IMO. Really want a camera that is more competent with moving objects/wildlife/BIF.
Yeah, I'm deeply invested in the m43 system and not going anywhere. I just take travel and wild life photos as a hobby with medium sized prints and it suits my needs perfectly. The EVF did not bother me, but I will readily admit it's not as good as Olympus EVFs and it can turn some people off. The camera arrived today and with the Pana-Leica 12-60 on and Dual O.I.S. enabled (and no coffee), I can handhold to 5 seconds with decent results. I'm super happy with it to be honest.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
unshavenyak wrote: Yeah, I'm deeply invested in the m43 system and not going anywhere. I just take travel and wild life photos as a hobby with medium sized prints and it suits my needs perfectly. The EVF did not bother me, but I will readily admit it's not as good as Olympus EVFs and it can turn some people off. The camera arrived today and with the Pana-Leica 12-60 on and Dual O.I.S. enabled (and no coffee), I can handhold to 5 seconds with decent results. I'm super happy with it to be honest.
Saw in the other thread that you're able to get the G9 for $1400; it's $1600 everywhere that I could find. If you don't mind me asking, where could I get it at $1400? PM me if you feel more comfortable that way. Also, did you get a deal with the 12-60 f/2.8-4 lens? TIA :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: Saw in the other thread that you're able to get the G9 for $1400; it's $1600 everywhere that I could find. If you don't mind me asking, where could I get it at $1400? PM me if you feel more comfortable that way. Also, did you get a deal with the 12-60 f/2.8-4 lens? TIA :)
The G9 I was able to purchase for $1,400 through the Panasonic Employee Portal. My employer has a contract with them and we get a pretty good discount. The 12-60 I found on Kijiji for $600 when someone was selling it after purchasing their GH5.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: Saw in the other thread that you're able to get the G9 for $1400; it's $1600 everywhere that I could find. If you don't mind me asking, where could I get it at $1400? PM me if you feel more comfortable that way. Also, did you get a deal with the 12-60 f/2.8-4 lens? TIA :)
Welp. The G9 is going back. I took it for a hike today and hated the EVF. I don't know what Panasonic was thinking. Time to pucker up and overpay for an E-M1 MkII.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
unshavenyak wrote: Welp. The G9 is going back. I took it for a hike today and hated the EVF. I don't know what Panasonic was thinking. Time to pucker up and overpay for an E-M1 MkII.
That's what I thought too. Otherwise, much better deal than the Oly M1.2. I actually had it on hold at the store that I tried the demo. Once I tried the demo, changed my mind about the G9.

I guess the claim that the production units had the EVF ironed out is not (entirely) true? I was wondering if it's just the demo with bad EVF. Strange that many reviewers praise the G9's EVF; only few (dare to?) mentioned the pincushion EVF. And many that dare to criticize the pincushion EVF of the G9 got called Oly fanboys.

Was really hoping that you're OK with its EVF, because it'd make my decision to buy the G9 easier. After all, many professional photographers endorse the G9. I can see why: best image stabilization on the market, fast S-AF/single AF, weather sealed, lighter than professional full-frame. However, late 2018-now really changes the market landscape, IMO. Hard to believe that now Fujifilm with poor AF in the X-T1 now has AF (in the X-T3/T30) that surpasses Oly's and Pana's.

Now it's either Oly M1.3, Oly M5.3, or A6400 with 8+% Dell eBates for me, or if I can wrap my mind around the G9's viewfinder -- whichever is available/happens first. Hopefully, the new Oly has USB-C and improved C-AF. My worry is that Oly will release the M5.3 without phase detection AF to differentiate it from the M1 line; that'd be stupid, IMO, when Sony puts A9's AF in the A6400, and Fuji put's the X-T3's AF in the T30.

If you're getting the M1.2 now, I guess other than haggling with/buying at MSRP at local stores, Dell has the best price when 8-14% eBates is available. (Now Dell eBates is only 2% :()
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: That's what I thought too. Otherwise, much better deal than the Oly M1.2. I actually had it on hold at the store that I tried the demo. Once I tried the demo, changed my mind about the G9.

I guess the claim that the production units had the EVF ironed out is not (entirely) true? I was wondering if it's just the demo with bad EVF. Strange that many reviewers praise the G9's EVF; only few (dare to?) mentioned the pincushion EVF. And many that dare to criticize the pincushion EVF of the G9 got called Oly fanboys.

Was really hoping that you're OK with its EVF, because it'd make my decision to buy the G9 easier. After all, many professional photographers endorse the G9. I can see why: best image stabilization on the market, fast S-AF/single AF, weather sealed, lighter than professional full-frame. However, late 2018-now really changes the market landscape, IMO. Hard to believe that now Fujifilm with poor AF in the X-T1 now has AF (in the X-T3/T30) that surpasses Oly's and Pana's.

Now it's either Oly M1.3, Oly M5.3, or A6400 with 8+% Dell eBates for me, or if I can wrap my mind around the G9's viewfinder -- whichever is available/happens first. Hopefully, the new Oly has USB-C and improved C-AF. My worry is that Oly will release the M5.3 without phase detection AF to differentiate it from the M1 line; that'd be stupid, IMO, when Sony puts A9's AF in the A6400, and Fuji put's the X-T3's AF in the T30.

If you're getting the M1.2 now, I guess other than haggling with/buying at MSRP at local stores, Dell has the best price when 8-14% eBates is available. (Now Dell eBates is only 2% :()
I'm not in any rush, so I'm going to wait and see what the EM-5.3 is. It's a shame though, because the G9 has so much right on paper.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
unshavenyak wrote: I'm not in any rush, so I'm going to wait and see what the EM-5.3 is. It's a shame though, because the G9 has so much right on paper.
Agree with you. I compared the G9 with the M1.2, and in many ways, the G9 is superior. Better price, better video (hack available for unlimited recording as well), in-camera USB charging, and bluetooth. People also tend to say that the G9 has better menu system and external controls. It's just the G9 reminds me of Star Trek and not in a good way; it's like I was having a Borg's vision/sight when looking through the G9 EVF. And I'm generally into sci-fi lol.

The GH5 I tried in store had better/less distorted EVF compared to the G9's. Still I find that Panasonic (E)VFs ~ different from other brands in terms of field of view shape. I've used many camera brands, and all of them have ~ perfect rectangle (E)VF. But with both the GH5 and G9, they both have pincushion-thingy in the VF, and I didn't notice this with other cameras before. Yet, many people say that this is not an issue for them; some say they don't notice it/get used to it.

If I get the Panasonic, I'll have to get used to both the DFD and the distorted EVF. I guess, it could be another things that differentiate them from the other brands for better/worse.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: Agree with you. I compared the G9 with the M1.2, and in many ways, the G9 is superior. Better price, better video (hack available for unlimited recording as well), in-camera USB charging, and bluetooth. People also tend to say that the G9 has better menu system and external controls. It's just the G9 reminds me of Star Trek and not in a good way; it's like I was having a Borg's vision/sight when looking through the G9 EVF. And I'm generally into sci-fi lol.

The GH5 I tried in store had better/less distorted EVF compared to the G9's. Still I find that Panasonic (E)VFs ~ different from other brands in terms of field of view shape. I've used many camera brands, and all of them have ~ perfect rectangle (E)VF. But with both the GH5 and G9, they both have pincushion-thingy in the VF, and I didn't notice this with other cameras before. Yet, many people say that this is not an issue for them; some say they don't notice it/get used to it.

If I get the Panasonic, I'll have to get used to both the DFD and the distorted EVF. I guess, it could be another things that differentiate them from the other brands for better/worse.
This is driving me nuts. On top of the pincushion effect, I cannot get a clear image out of the EVF even after adjusting the diopeter. I have never had this happen with any camera before.

Edit: Changed the eye cup and all is well. It turns out I actually needed further distance form the viewfinder lens to keep everything in focus for my eyes. It's honestly a relief because I was not looking forward to shelling out $700+ more for the EM1.2.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1148 posts
232 upvotes
PACIFIC
unshavenyak wrote: This is driving me nuts. On top of the pincushion effect, I cannot get a clear image out of the EVF even after adjusting the diopeter. I have never had this happen with any camera before.

Edit: Changed the eye cup and all is well. It turns out I actually needed further distance form the viewfinder lens to keep everything in focus for my eyes. It's honestly a relief because I was not looking forward to shelling out $700+ more for the EM1.2. I do, however, get sequential tearing, but it's for the most part minor (requires high contrast image and moving the camera around quickly).
How bad is the pincushion after changing the eye cup? Is that resolved too? That eye cup is included?

The G9 sale is over lol; I didn't see your edit in time.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead with A6400 and ordered it. Now I'm trying to unload my 12-40 and possibly other m43 lenses as time goes by. Will definitely miss the IBIS and the weather sealed lightweight lenses of the Oly/Panny for now. I'm into animal/wildlife/BIF, and OOF images are frustrating. Hopefully, the Sony C-AF is as good as people said they are. Also hope that the M5.3/M1.3 catches up with other players in terms of C-AF.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Fllay wrote: How bad is the pincushion after changing the eye cup? Is that resolved too? That eye cup is included?

The G9 sale is over lol; I didn't see your edit in time.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead with A6400 and ordered it. Now I'm trying to unload my 12-40 and possibly other m43 lenses as time goes by. Will definitely miss the IBIS and the weather sealed lightweight lenses of the Oly/Panny for now. I'm into animal/wildlife/BIF, and OOF images are frustrating. Hopefully, the Sony C-AF is as good as people said they are. Also hope that the M5.3/M1.3 catches up with other players in terms of C-AF.
Nope, eye cup was a $20 accessory. Pin cushion effect is still there, but you have to look for it since the viewfinder is so big. I'm actually having second thoughts. This thing is massive. I might just buy a rain sleeve for the EM-10 until I see what the EM5.3 has to offer.
Nov 5, 2014
322 posts
169 upvotes
FYA it seems Oly has the Trade & Save event going on. EM1.2 is 1499 before any trade in. I'm tempted to trade in my EM10ii (was quoted 200 USD for it) but it I think I'll wait for the upcoming new MFT body as per the announcement.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Bosschiefamomaster wrote: FYA it seems Oly has the Trade & Save event going on. EM1.2 is 1499 before any trade in. I'm tempted to trade in my EM10ii (was quoted 200 USD for it) but it I think I'll wait for the upcoming new MFT body as per the announcement.
I saw that, but even at $1,499 I think the G9 is a better buy (if you can deal with the size). PDAF is good, but the G9 with DFD is on par for C-AF in most tests. Also, the $200 USD trade-in value is not bad since EM-10's are going for $300 - $350 on Kijiji. Olympus really needs to put more effort into their line-up, because right now the Panasonic lens and body line-up is more coherent and complete.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I wanted to get the PEN-F but they killed it off and it never dropped to the price that I considered reasonable ($999). I liked the slim light form factor of that body for travelling.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Feb 12, 2017
57 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
unshavenyak wrote: Nope, eye cup was a $20 accessory. Pin cushion effect is still there, but you have to look for it since the viewfinder is so big. I'm actually having second thoughts. This thing is massive. I might just buy a rain sleeve for the EM-10 until I see what the EM5.3 has to offer.
Is that accessory the Panasonic DMW-EC4 eye cup? Where did you find it for $20?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Kevin3840 wrote: Is that accessory the Panasonic DMW-EC4 eye cup? Where did you find it for $20?
Yes, it's the DMW-EC4. It was $20 on the employee and partners portal on the Panasonic eShop. I think it might be $25 for regular retail?