Cell Phones

Galaxy A10 image quality poor compared to iphone 7. Why is that?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 7:34 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
454 posts
40 upvotes
Oakville

Galaxy A10 image quality poor compared to iphone 7. Why is that?

Hi.

My wife just got a Galaxy A10 off Amazon. We looked at reviews for phones around $200 Canadian and chose based on overall rating and image quality. Don't need a lot from a smartphone but image quality from the phone and not having to carry around an actual camera was key. Wife had a really old phone so she wasn't expecting top of the line images, but at least something better than this.

We saw lots of good reviews for the phone, even for the camera but just took it out of the box and so far not good.

In sunny conditions outside it's not bad, but it's not as good as my phone. Inside, even with the windows open, it is absolutely brutal. And there will be lots of inside pics taken of our daughter.

Film is not on the back lens and it's not marked up with finger prints. There is no setting to change quality settings for pics, just for video.

Can anyone tell me why the cam sucks? Are we doing something wrong? Thought it was supposed to be good. At this point we have to return the camera.

To compare, I have an iphone 7 from work and took the same pics.

15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1095 posts
1082 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Because iPhone 7 was a flagship phone and Galaxy A10 is a low-midrange phone. iPhone has a better image sensor and software processing, plain and simple. If you want a better camera, get the S8/S9/S10 as they compare to the iPhone 7/8/X.
Koodo $40 10GB!
Aug 15, 2009
691 posts
446 upvotes
Montreal
A10 is a low budget phone. It will have a low budget camera.

Like the previous post you need a flagship for superior camera quality.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
454 posts
40 upvotes
Oakville
Hmmm... I just assumed most phones has good cams by now. Prior to my iphone 7 I was using older phones like moto g2 or a bold or a curve and I wasn't using those as a primary cam, that's for sure. My pocket shooter from 2008 takes better pics than this thing.

Oh well, guess I'll return it and find something used for $50 and tell my wife to get a used pocket shooter and keep it in the car or something.

Thanks for the help.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
454 posts
40 upvotes
Oakville
I can find this S7 for $195, which is what we got the A10 for. So with this being an S series, should that make for a better cam? Looked up the S8 and that's $335, so out of our price range.

I'll look up some more review online but wondering if any of you have any input.

Your text to link here...
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
454 posts
40 upvotes
Oakville
God dammit. Just realized the S7 linked I posted is to a used phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3782 posts
1999 upvotes
Gotham
If they put high quality cameras in low budget phones, sales of flagship phones would suffer.

You can get a new S7 on eBay for about $300 but who know if it is actually new and how the battery will perform after sitting around for two years.

You might as well get an S8 at this point. Having a cheap phone and point and shoot is a terrible experience in today's world.

Edit: the screen is also amazing on the Samsung flagship phones. Since the S5, it has been an AMOLED screen, basically the same as the iPhone X. A few years ago, a person sitting beside me on a bus was amazed by how colourful my screen was. He was using an iPhone.
Last edited by batcave on Oct 21st, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1109 posts
631 upvotes
Pickering
I can tell you from personal experience that the S7 has a pretty good camera on it. My wife had the iPhone 7, too. And I'd say a lot of our camera comparisons fared well against each other, aside from the fact that the iPhone 7 takes great photos consistently, where as the S7 took great photos, most of the time. For that price, I'd recommend. You get more vibrant shots with the S7 than you would with an iPhone 7, but I'd say the iPhone is generally better at taking photos of human subjects, because of its warmer tones, where as the S series tends to over-saturate, and prefer more cooler tones, overall. Also, low light shots are considerably better on the S series than the are on the iPhones without the actual dedicated night mode that came later on.

On top of that, I always found video to be the best on the Samsung phones than most other phones, but that's obviously my opinion. Anyway, you can probably get a decent deal on a S8 if you look hard enough, but you can't go wrong with either. I currently own an S9 and an iPhone XS Max (coming from a refurbished S7), and aside from there being a "little" more detail in the S9's shots, both the S9 - and the S7 - generally produce most of the same gorgeous shots.

Best of luck, OP.
I'm going to the convenient store to pick me up a pack of cigarettes...
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1913 posts
1346 upvotes
Canada
metaman wrote: Hi.

My wife just got a Galaxy A10 off Amazon. We looked at reviews for phones around $200 Canadian and chose based on overall rating and image quality. Don't need a lot from a smartphone but image quality from the phone and not having to carry around an actual camera was key. Wife had a really old phone so she wasn't expecting top of the line images, but at least something better than this.

We saw lots of good reviews for the phone, even for the camera but just took it out of the box and so far not good.

In sunny conditions outside it's not bad, but it's not as good as my phone. Inside, even with the windows open, it is absolutely brutal. And there will be lots of inside pics taken of our daughter.

Film is not on the back lens and it's not marked up with finger prints. There is no setting to change quality settings for pics, just for video.

Can anyone tell me why the cam sucks? Are we doing something wrong? Thought it was supposed to be good. At this point we have to return the camera.

To compare, I have an iphone 7 from work and took the same pics.

Hyundai is poor compared to Ferrari. Why is that?
Oct 1, 2009
405 posts
153 upvotes
West coast
Might not help but even older flagship can have an even more amazing photo providing you do a little bit of post progressing. Might be a little bit too much work though.
Nov 24, 2016
144 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
The Galaxy A10 is a budget phone. If you pay budget prices, you get budget specifications and features. The iPhone 7 was $700 when it launched, meaning it was a $700 quality camera compared to a $200 quality camera. If you need a decent camera, look at older iPhones such as 7 or 8 which can be had for very cheap.
Dec 16, 2008
908 posts
363 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am not a Pro and so do not see significant differences between OP's pictures.

OP, you also need to see what you want the phone camera for. Just to take random pictures here and there, printing in full size, social network,....

IMO, for general purpose use, A10 camera is sufficient.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
454 posts
40 upvotes
Oakville
Because I always had point and shoot cameras with me I never had a need for that from a phone. Hence always having a cheap or older phone. I have had about 6 Casio Exilim cameras dating back to 2005. To me it's the most underrated camera ever, if you had the right model. They had so many it was hard to know which one was good and which wasn't.

I always kept one in my fishing bag, which was always in my car from April to Nov. and one in the house. The equivalent Canon Power Shot had a sharper image but the Casio wasn't far off. And it performed better basically for everything else. And way more features.

I still have Exilims from 2008 and they take better pics than the iphone 7 in half the circumstances while the iphone is clearly better in the other half. So I always keep the old cam around, especially now that I know when and when not to use it. The Exilim has a soft flash and hard flash that is pretty much essential to me now. And night setting and macro are phenomenal still to this day. Plus the red filtered autumn setting makes the pic look better than anything I could ever achieve in edit of a normal pic afterwards.

I also have a JVC Everio camcorder since 2012 or 2013. Obviously the iphone 7 can't do what that does so I keep that handy when needed, which isn't all that often anymore.

We also got a new model Power Shot that retails for $300 last year with our air miles. Bulky point and shoot but video is amazing. And under ideal settings the pic quality is great too. But it performed pretty damn poorly in low light conditions and the iphone 7 was definitely better. However, this god damn thing broke after a year. One of my Exilims developed an orange line down the middle of every pic now so while it takes pretty good pics, I have to edit that out in photoshop if it's an important pic. While another randomly started taking garbage pics when the sky is kinda grey and I'm a few feet away, but otherwise takes good pics of scenery and whatever, just not portraits. So I guess the camera sensor or lens starts to go in all these things eventually.

Anyway, my bro in law is checking to see if what old phone he has lying around to give to my wife so she doesn't have to use my old ass Bold anymore. And I'll start looking for another Exilim for $50 on kijiji and hope it lasts for a couple of years at least.

Wife was using an old phone on a talk and text from Fido for $30. When we changed over the sim card to nano or whatever, they offered her unlimited talk and 2 GB data for $5 more. So get someone's old phone that can run google maps and buy an old cam and we keep the costs down, which is especially appealing now that day care is coming up.

Makes sense about manufacturers purposely putting shite cameras in their budget phones to encourage you to upgrade. Hadn't thought about that before.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
454 posts
40 upvotes
Oakville
kooroshkabir wrote: I am not a Pro and so do not see significant differences between OP's pictures.

OP, you also need to see what you want the phone camera for. Just to take random pictures here and there, printing in full size, social network,....

IMO, for general purpose use, A10 camera is sufficient.

If you click on the pics it'll take you to full res. Then you'll see the difference.
Jun 13, 2019
82 posts
49 upvotes
metaman wrote: If you click on the pics it'll take you to full res. Then you'll see the difference.
So your main thing is to take a picture and have it blown up to be super huge or do you just want to be able to see it on a phone screen? Because if your main thing is to take a pic and zoom in, for whatever reason you'd want to do that, then no phone would take a good picture.

Plus you're comparing a mid tier phone to a high tier phone.