Cell Phones

The Galaxy Note 10 won't have a headphone jack or physical volume and power keys (rumor)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2019 1:07 am
[OP]
May 30, 2006
165 posts
219 upvotes
Halifax

The Galaxy Note 10 won't have a headphone jack or physical volume and power keys (rumor)

Looks like Samsung is getting rid of the headphone jack as well.

Android Police

"Both changes had been previously rumored, but we can now provide stronger confirmation."
14 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19486 posts
8963 upvotes
Oakville
I dunno - this render being passed around (and supposedly vetted by some prominent leakers) is apparently what it's gonna look like, and there's physical power/volume controls still:

Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't know how you can do away with a power button. It would have to be always "on". The only time it's off is when the battery is drained. Otherwise, it would have to be in standby for any soft button to work, much like any device that uses a remote control for on/off.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21777 posts
24936 upvotes
Toronto
Here's hoping the digital buttons are better than HTC's first attempt. Albeit HTC did get better with a subsequent update

https://www.androidcentral.com/htc-u12-plus-review
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Aug 17, 2018
655 posts
459 upvotes
Can probably do without the headphone jack, hope Samsung would bring a 90hz display into the note 10 like OP7
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25999 posts
3277 upvotes
Montreal
rabbit wrote: I don't know how you can do away with a power button. It would have to be always "on". The only time it's off is when the battery is drained. Otherwise, it would have to be in standby for any soft button to work, much like any device that uses a remote control for on/off.
How do you turn it on after the battery has drained and you recharge it?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Once it has enough juice, it auto-powers on, I guess. It would be like a flashlight with a switch that it always in the On position. As you soon you put batteries in, there's light.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1372 posts
1497 upvotes
rabbit wrote: I don't know how you can do away with a power button. It would have to be always "on". The only time it's off is when the battery is drained. Otherwise, it would have to be in standby for any soft button to work, much like any device that uses a remote control for on/off.
No physical button doesn't mean no toggle. The toggle would be like the squeeze thingy other phones has. I believe.

You can still power on and off the device like any other. Just not a physical button. Instead of pressing a button. You squeeze the device for 10 seconds or something like that.

In my opinion for a device that has no front facing button anyway and on screen finger print scanner it is not a big deal. Seriously how often do you actually use the power button?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
How does it detect a squeeze?
Jun 4, 2013
690 posts
236 upvotes
Vancouver
No headjoack is killer for me. I won't buy a cell phone without one. If mainstream phone is to phase them out I will just be from a phone online with a headphone jack.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12943 posts
2229 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
rabbit wrote: How does it detect a squeeze?
So they're sensors that require power.

Giving more thought to how a phone would turn on again when the battery is dead, smartphones already do that. If a phone is off, when you plug it in for charging, the phone automatically turns on to charge, displaying the screen with the battery meter. I suppose they can change it to boot up the OS, instead.

If the battery is absolutely drained, it takes a minute or so before the phone powers up to the battery meter.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8824 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: So they're sensors that require power.

Giving more thought to how a phone would turn on again when the battery is dead, smartphones already do that. If a phone is off, when you plug it in for charging, the phone automatically turns on to charge, displaying the screen with the battery meter. I suppose they can change it to boot up the OS, instead.

If the battery is absolutely drained, it takes a minute or so before the phone powers up to the battery meter.
That is how all windows phones operated. If completely dead, placed on the charger the battery charge displayed on the screen until there was enough power to boot the phone into the OS automatically. That was one thing I didn't like about my wp. You could never charge it turned off.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4785 posts
1595 upvotes
Kingston
Big design change with this version.
Funny how it looks very similar to the Huawei P30 pro now.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18580 posts
2310 upvotes
Woodbridge
Huawei looks so much better, just the hardware.

As for the reports, I’ve gotten used to it thanks to Apple. I want the headphone jack but not a deal breaker.

No buttons. I will also learn to get used to it I guess.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)