Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey

Galaxy s6 bloatware and root

Hey everyone, I have a Galaxy s6 coming in the mail soon. Wondering if there is a list or bloatware we can remove? Also is it rootable yet? I read earlier somewhere knox has a way of finding out if it's been rooted and voids the warranty, is this true?

Thanks in advance
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2126 posts
1545 upvotes
Tripping Knox will also disable any possibility of using Samsung Pay if it ever comes to canada.
[OP]
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey
AndroidRootGuy wrote: Root will trip Knox, which can be used to deny warranty.
Is this true even with the new pingpong tool just released? Also how can I get rid of the bloatware? Or remove plugins I don't need?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
343 upvotes
Mississauga
tonysoprano wrote: Is this true even with the new pingpong tool just released? Also how can I get rid of the bloatware? Or remove plugins I don't need?
Thanks
Not true anymore.. But pingpong tool doesn't support Canadian S6 models yet. Should wait for it to root so you keep your knox.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6274 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
I hear you can uninstall most apps (fair bit of samsung ones). Touchwiz is lightest ever .... does it still lag?
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1876 posts
432 upvotes
Seriously Samsung has done a pretty good job of limiting bloat on the S6 or at least give you the option to disable them. I'd be more worry about Google forcing it's bloat into every new Android version, nobody wants to use Google+ or Sheets, Slides, Hangout, etc. If we wanted them we'd download them. Add to that cloud print and HP print driver... Really nobody wants it!

-LeeBear
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
343 upvotes
Mississauga
LeeBear wrote: Seriously Samsung has done a pretty good job of limiting bloat on the S6 or at least give you the option to disable them. I'd be more worry about Google forcing it's bloat into every new Android version, nobody wants to use Google+ or Sheets, Slides, Hangout, etc. If we wanted them we'd download them. Add to that cloud print and HP print driver... Really nobody wants it!

-LeeBear
Agreed on the google bloat! I want to be able to remove the crap they put, but not possible without root!
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
1090 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
Oh I couldn't wait.. ran the root.. the most painless one I've ever done!
Not for any nation, not for any ideology, not for justice, not for honor, not for power, not for the future, not for love, not for peace, Only for revenge. -MGSVTPP
Mar 31, 2016
1 posts
I'm pretty sure that other than maybe tmobile with the leaked unlocked bootloader, you can't keep root and update past 5.0.2 without tripping knox. The new root method for 5.1.1 requires a new kernel, which is what trips knox.

You can clear out bloatware by freezing or uninstalling the bloatware apps with titanium backup (root required).

You won't find a "stock" android rom for a while (maybe months away, check http://wyckedroot.com/). All that's available now are touchwiz roms.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6274 posts
1006 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking to use it stock but I end up rooting. CustomRom (xtra2lite). Disable capacitive buttons. Enable nexus style onscreen button.

The rom uses only 864gb ram - vs 1.2ish gig (1.4gig on mine) without loading any apps. Fingerprint to unlock - pretty good effective setup
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!