• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2010 11:21 am
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes

Galleria Korean Supermarket Imaginary?

So I read reviews of a Korean Supermarket, Galleria, ostensibly located at 7171 Yonge Street just north of Steeles.

http://www.galleriasm.com/welcome2/company1_e.asp

So I drive there (I'm from out of town) and I can't find the place.
I mean, a 50,000 square foot supermarket with a 450 vehicle parking lot shouldn't be that hard to spot, should it? Given the traffic and congestion in the area I didn't feel up to hunting and searching for the place, and just gave up. Is it some kind of joke?
Because, when I look at Google maps street view for the address, and pan around, THERE'S NO SUPERMARKET THERE -

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=7171 ... CBUQ8gEwAA

just like when I drove around looking for the place.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :( :(
16 replies
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
Ducky wrote: based on the google map link you provided, drive north on yonge street for 1 more block and you will see it on your right side (east side)

google maps or any other online maps are never 100% accurate for everything...

this is what you want:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Thorn ... de=ADDRESS
re Computer maps, tell me about it! Looking up the Scarborough Foodys through Flyermall (they use Yahoo Maps), the map shows the Foodys on Hwy 7 between Brougham and Greenwood!
Somehow, I couldn't picture a huge Chinese supermarket in the middle of all those farmer's fields.
Thanks for the Mapquest reference, didn't think of them, as Google's usually reliable.
I'll try again. Aaah, Korean beef ribs, mmmmmm.

:)
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1667 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
Should have used Google Streetview before heading out. The supermarket is in the same plaza as Wendy's.
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote: Should have used Google Streetview before heading out. The supermarket is in the same plaza as Wendy's.
I did, I did! See original posting - Google map url

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=7...ed=0CBUQ8gEwAA

Select street view, and tell me if YOU can see any sign of Galleria Supermarket, OR a Wendy's for that matter. And, wanting to use the Wendy's as a landmark, I Googled for Wendys Toronto locations and found nary a mention of one on Yonge north of Steeles.

Already ticked off, I headed east to McCowan, and then south, intending to go home along Steeles. Of course, when I got to Steeles, THERE WAS NO STREET SIGN visible when southbound, and I had to get my passenger to look over shoulder and read the sign as we went through the intersection! So, I had to turn back, (as did a couple of other cars).
Sheesh, why don't they take down ALL the street signs and we can all buy GPS units!
It was one of those days when I should have stayed in bed. :cry:
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
just look for the huge condo sale center sign...you can't miss it
Jul 27, 2005
22 posts
Not sure what you mean in the same plaza as Wendy's. If I remember correctly, Wendy's/Taco Bell is across the street closer to Steeles/Yonge. Galleria is at Doncaster/Yonge directly across from a huge car dealership. If I remember correctly, Galleria is moving to Don Mills and Eglinton cause they are building a condo at the current location.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
The best advice would be to actually search by the number, 7171, and by comparing what you see around you it should tell you exactly where it will be. I mean, this is what we did before street view was invented right?

Anyways good luck finding Galleria next time! Its a little bit farther in, the building is not right up against yonge so maybe thats what threw you off. Just south of Galleria in the next plaza is another Korean supermarket, but smaller, called P.A.T.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
4133 posts
2172 upvotes
haha OP, located that place yet? :) i go to Galleria at least once a week. It's ONE traffic light NORTH of steeles avenue. AND you gotta make a RIGHT. (i believe it's Doncaster avenue or something :p )

GL~!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5009 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't been there in a while, but in OP's Google Maps link, it's the big building in the upper right (north east) corner of "Meadowvale" (I always thought of it as Doncaster and swear the signs say Doncaster) and Yonge. It's a big blue building, but the parking lot slopes down so it's not easy to see from Yonge if there are cars or trucks in your way.

If they are moving, perhaps they've already closed down? Like I said, I haven't been there in a while.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1667 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
jan_db wrote: I did, I did! See original posting - Google map url

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=7...ed=0CBUQ8gEwAA

Select street view, and tell me if YOU can see any sign of Galleria Supermarket, OR a Wendy's for that matter. And, wanting to use the Wendy's as a landmark, I Googled for Wendys Toronto locations and found nary a mention of one on Yonge north of Steeles.

Already ticked off, I headed east to McCowan, and then south, intending to go home along Steeles. Of course, when I got to Steeles, THERE WAS NO STREET SIGN visible when southbound, and I had to get my passenger to look over shoulder and read the sign as we went through the intersection! So, I had to turn back, (as did a couple of other cars).
Sheesh, why don't they take down ALL the street signs and we can all buy GPS units!
It was one of those days when I should have stayed in bed. :cry:
My mistake, the Wendy's did close down a while ago. However I see the supermarket's sign (large navy blue sign with white Korean wording), the supermarket is offset from Yonge Street to allow for the parking lot.

In the Google satellite view in the link your provided there is a large open area with a a building just north of the marker. Are you sure you were on Yonge?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
guys...area is very different today even with google maps...LOOK FOR THE HUGE CONDO FOR SALE SIGN....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6482 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
that is a taco bell/kfc....not wendys/taco bell
Jumpshooter wrote: Not sure what you mean in the same plaza as Wendy's. If I remember correctly, Wendy's/Taco Bell is across the street closer to Steeles/Yonge. Galleria is at Doncaster/Yonge directly across from a huge car dealership. If I remember correctly, Galleria is moving to Don Mills and Eglinton cause they are building a condo at the current location.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
guys...the taco bell is like 7 mins walk from Gallaria...close but not that close