Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4936 posts
8140 upvotes
Canada

Which game next?

Hey all, just getting close to done Last of Us 2. Trying to decide which game to play next. Ghosts of Tsushima or Persona 5 Royal. I've never played either. Lately I tend to stick to AAA titles. Let me know what you think!
5 replies
Aug 20, 2009
9159 posts
4506 upvotes
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a JRPG then go for Persona 5, it will be a 35-50 hour experience depending on how into it you get. I really enjoyed it but I haven't played the Royal edition which supposedly has some QOL improvements.

I'm currently playing Ghost of Tsushima and its probably my GOTY so far. It's open world but the game leads you around using environmental storytelling for the most part. It feels like a really cool mashup of Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed: Samurai. There's also some obvious influences from Breath of the Wild in it. The combat system is just so much fun, I'm playing it on Hard and they do a really good job of giving you feel powerful yet vulnerable, even a no-name enemy can cause serious damage in 3-4 hits. It avoids the whifflebat syndrome that the latest AC games. In terms of graphics and art direction its one of the best from this entire generation across all platforms.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9374 posts
6750 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: If you want a JRPG then go for Persona 5, it will be a 35-50 hour experience depending on how into it you get. I really enjoyed it but I haven't played the Royal edition which supposedly has some QOL improvements.
People keep telling me this game is at least 100 hours long which is why I haven't picked it up yet and was saving it for later when I feel like getting into another long JRPG game. Is it really only 35-50 hours and those people are exaggerating or including option side stuff that maybe isn't necessary?
Aug 20, 2009
9159 posts
4506 upvotes
I actually just went and checked my playtime on it, 71 hours! So yeah my memory on it was off by a fair margin. That being said I did do a lot of the social activities. Either way though it is a huge time commitment.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10448 posts
4672 upvotes
I would pick Persona 5 Royal over Ghost of Tsushima based on what I've played of Tsushima thus far.
Persona 5 Royale is one of the GoAT RPGS.

I think Ghost of Tsushima is the best game SuckerPunch has made thus far, despite the main character
being kind of stoic and with a boring personality (too stubborn and unwilling to bend the "honor of the samurai" ways) when the invading Mongols
break every rule there is in terms of "fighting fair". I am only 3 hours into Tsushima thus far though. It has exceeded my expectations and looks very impressive graphically
on PS4 Pro.

I like that the combat in GoT is challenging and does not insult you. Every enemy can take you down or seriously inflict damage to you.
Compared to something like Assassins' Creed or Middle Earth: Shadow of War, where enemies stand around and watch as they attack one by one,
and let you counter non-stop, or in general, let you do anything to them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4936 posts
8140 upvotes
Canada
Redmask wrote: It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a JRPG then go for Persona 5, it will be a 35-50 hour experience depending on how into it you get. I really enjoyed it but I haven't played the Royal edition which supposedly has some QOL improvements.

I'm currently playing Ghost of Tsushima and its probably my GOTY so far. It's open world but the game leads you around using environmental storytelling for the most part. It feels like a really cool mashup of Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed: Samurai. There's also some obvious influences from Breath of the Wild in it. The combat system is just so much fun, I'm playing it on Hard and they do a really good job of giving you feel powerful yet vulnerable, even a no-name enemy can cause serious damage in 3-4 hits. It avoids the whifflebat syndrome that the latest AC games. In terms of graphics and art direction its one of the best from this entire generation across all platforms.
XFactor11 wrote: I would pick Persona 5 Royal over Ghost of Tsushima based on what I've played of Tsushima thus far.
Persona 5 Royale is one of the GoAT RPGS.

I think Ghost of Tsushima is the best game SuckerPunch has made thus far, despite the main character
being kind of stoic and with a boring personality (too stubborn and unwilling to bend the "honor of the samurai" ways) when the invading Mongols
break every rule there is in terms of "fighting fair". I am only 3 hours into Tsushima thus far though. It has exceeded my expectations and looks very impressive graphically
on PS4 Pro.

I like that the combat in GoT is challenging and does not insult you. Every enemy can take you down or seriously inflict damage to you.
Compared to something like Assassins' Creed or Middle Earth: Shadow of War, where enemies stand around and watch as they attack one by one,
and let you counter non-stop, or in general, let you do anything to them.
Thank you both for the detailed recommendations. Seems like there are good arguments for either! Persona seems more critically acclaimed. But I have a very nice JVC projector and guessing GoT will look amazing on it. Hm...