Locked: Microsoft Office Lifetime license for $30

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2023 8:31 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
13628 posts
13658 upvotes
Oil Country
RxMills wrote: They've sold thousands of codes, sourced from global install code finders.
Yet, only 24 5-star reviews after all these years. So funny.

Reddit:
Interesting... I've never purchased an MS license from Stack. Only licenses for VPN/DNS services, Steam games, software bundles, e-books, and online courses. All still work too. I also use Paypal so I get a bit of protection.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2019
1171 posts
1160 upvotes
To this day, Microsoft's "licensing" is still a big mess and a joke. I've worked in both private and public sectors and licensing of Microsoft products is as muddy as ever with no consistency: it's the invoice that proves legitimacy; it's an actual office printed cert from Microsoft; just have the physical paper that contains the product key is good enough; it's the order confirmation email that's proof. Those pieces of "proof" are inconsistent over product lines and product years. So an organization will very well fail a software audit even if they bought all of their licenses and legit to the T.

This works to Microsoft's advantage that they can move the goal posts at anytime since they're in a position of power to extract even more money from the suspected organization.

The recent launch of Microsoft's Office version checking tool sounds quite harmless at first glance. Microsoft is also keeping the cards close to their chest by not disclosing what they will do with the collected info. They "only" wanted to check to see who are running outdated versions of Office... :rolleyes: Winking Face

After the version check, Microsoft could (in the near future) deactivate all of the grey market keys. Since Office must go through activation and phones home on a regular basis, Microsoft has ultimate control of who gets to use their software ever since the Windows XP days. This goes to prove in practice that the software is licensed, not owned or purchased. Therefore, Microsoft can revoke those licenses at any time without warning.

This may be Microsoft's way to slowly tightening the noose around the grey market keys:
  1. Everyone must buy legit software from Microsoft and its authorized resellers since those grey market keys are now dead.
  2. Subscribe and stay subscribed on a regular basis on their Office 365 subscription service for a more steady and predictable revenue stream. They tried to move everyone over to their subscription program, but there were too many standalone versions in the market already that it is next to impossible to get them to switch over unless Microsoft disables and invalidates their installed versions of Office that they purchased -- and we know how well that will go over like a lead balloon.
  3. Stamp out any and all less-than-legit versions of Office and find out which organizations have been leaking their keys.
  4. Exert their control over the market by "blessing" the legit versions of Office to continue running.

Get these Office versions while you can, because we don't know how long Microsoft will allow this to go on. This is kind of like Microsoft allowing their "pocket change" to fall in between the couch cushions for years and this is them going back to look for those "dropped" change in between the cushions by leaving no cushions unturned.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
Dec 1, 2019
12 posts
3 upvotes
Shared with Coworkers-
Code didnt work (must of been reused)
Do not buy!
Apr 8, 2007
884 posts
201 upvotes
Why don’t you get a E5 account and it’s free ..

After one year, just get another email ( can be created free) and set up another one ?

I brought a Mac version (Retail version of it before and still using it on my older Mac since 2011?
On hackintosh since 2011: I5 ivy Bridge 3.10 HD3000, Zotac 1030 2G video card, HDMI 2.0 cable, 16G RAM( max out at 1600mhz) on a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Mobo with I TB Crucial MX500 SSD, With 4K 60HZ UM7300AUE as a monitor> Retina Display
Mar 29, 2019
532 posts
662 upvotes
Still using my old companies office 2016 key on every install I own… :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8643 posts
8989 upvotes
maverikbc wrote: This has never happened to me. I haven't played with settings.
Then I can only say you've been very lucky.

It's very common for me with any word doc that goes beyond the most basic of features. Throw a form or something like that in there and everything goes to crap.

Other way around is also a problem, saving something in Libre Office and then opening it in Word and you end up with a mess.

Fact is, if you deal with Office documents in ANYTHING but a bare consumer mode you need Office.
Mar 17, 2008
456 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
ryk1998 wrote: or just use Office 2007..going strong and plenty of horsepower 16 years later.
How about Office97 Pro? I have a legit licence and have used this on many versions of Windows. I don't have it installed on Windows 10. Can't recall why. Maybe it wouldn't install? Or it doesn't support some of the new file types?

I currently use Open Office. Mostly save files in MS format. Don't have any issues. Using it right now for my portfolio update! Have also used Google Sheets with stock price lookups.
Jan 1, 2014
29 posts
54 upvotes
KW
PlumpAF wrote: Orrrr go to google, type in microsoft activation scripts github and use microsofts own tools to active office/windows for free!
I found the page but... how is this working? I'm confused. Sorry if I'm dense. Is this actually a microsoft tool or is this something someone put together and its doing some tricky shenanigans to get a free activation?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7835 posts
8528 upvotes
Vancouver
freeagent wrote: How about Office97 Pro? I have a legit licence and have used this on many versions of Windows. I don't have it installed on Windows 10. Can't recall why. Maybe it wouldn't install? Or it doesn't support some of the new file types?

I currently use Open Office. Mostly save files in MS format. Don't have any issues. Using it right now for my portfolio update! Have also used Google Sheets with stock price lookups.
If you have any format interchange problems with OpenOffice or LibreOffice, Microsoft supports a free cut-back version of Office 365 on all Onedrive accounts that is fully compatible with all Office files. It works with files stored on Onedrive, but you can upload and download the files from your free 5 Gbytes Onedrive storage. The functionality is cut back from the full-featured Office 365, but it's quite adequate to handle most normal editing functions. Similar to Google's free online office apps, but much more file-format compatible since it's genuine Microsoft.
Last edited by Scote64 on Jan 24th, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 17, 2008
456 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
Scote64 wrote: If you have any format interchange problems with OpenOffice or LibreOffice, Microsoft supports a free cut-back version of Office 365 on all Onedrive accounts that is fully compatible with all Office files. It works with files stored on Onedrive, but you are fee to upload and download the files from your free 5 Gbytes Onedrive storage. The functionality is cut back from the full-featured Office 365, but it's quite adequate to handle most normal editing functions. Similar to Google's free online office apps, but much more file-format compatible since it's genuine Microsoft.
Thanks - I will have to look for that.

OK, I did. I had some trouble finding where the links to Excel and Word were. I found them by going to my Outlook mail account and click in the apps box top left. I am sure there must be a better way! I opened one of my Open Office files (that had been saved as .xls) and it worked. Overall not too impressed. More comfortable with the stand alone Open Office. But perhaps useful if file formats crop up that OO can't handle.
Anyway - thanks - I didn't know I already had those!
Nov 11, 2022
4 posts
9 upvotes
AtticGoo wrote: I guess I am dyslexic.
It's as they say: "When life hands you melons, you may be dyslexic."
Sep 13, 2003
197 posts
284 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Hey you guys know if you use Microsoft 365 at work chances are you can use it at home. A legitimate licence is good for 5 PC's. Just go to portal.microsoft.com and enter your work email. Worth a try been using my work license on my two home computers for some time.
Sep 11, 2022
5 posts
5 upvotes
Stack social has it on sale quite often and you can choose CAD
Sep 11, 2022
5 posts
5 upvotes
Stack social has it on sale quite often and you can choose CAD
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6434 posts
198 upvotes
While $30 is a good deal, I still don't get it.

If you're going to go "this route", why not just download the actual version from Microsoft 2021 (not 365) —Google is your friend and then use a *** generator? Since this all is free you never have to worry in the back of your mind you can't use Office anymore since you paid nothing for it. Or you can go to eBay and pay a few dollars for the license that way.
pwr1019 wrote: Hey you guys know if you use Microsoft 365 at work chances are you can use it at home. A legitimate licence is good for 5 PC's. Just go to portal.microsoft.com and enter your work email. Worth a try been using my work license on my two home computers for some time.
Not in our workplace. Good suggestion anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2758 posts
2707 upvotes
mohandas wrote: I ordered once from AliExpress and that key stopped working after few months.
Actually serious, you can try to call Microsoft and get it reactivated.

It was done for eBay keys previously (same level of legitness)... You just tell them the description was a used key from old machine that got disposed.

the big corp licenses are the ones that are trackable and they can do something about.
Jun 25, 2012
227 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
charleytony wrote: Anyone here actually willing to buy something through "GameSpot".

I thought it was a typo, but it seems that nobody can run a website without going into selling stuff.
GameSpot is (or at least was) a major video gaming news website that's been around since the late 90s. I'd admit I haven't visited the site in a while, so I don't know if they still generate good content these days.

I noticed techspot.com, which is a PC hardware news site that I regularly visit, also promotes cheap Office keys from stacksocial, so I'd just consider this kind of thing to be the cost of running a website these days..
Sep 15, 2018
80 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Jumanji12 wrote: Go to Aliexpress and pay 12CAD. equivalent of this and save $$.
mohandas wrote: I ordered once from AliExpress and that key stopped working after few months.
thank you, so cheap, will take the risk, push my luck , haha
Sep 15, 2018
80 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Jumanji12 wrote: Go to Aliexpress and pay 12CAD. equivalent of this and save $$.
thank you, so cheap, will take the risk, push my luck , haha