Expired Hot Deals

Gamestop.ca

$79 TIV for Pokemon Legends: Arceus starting 01/29, dropping by $1 per day until February 11th ($66)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2022 11:08 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6531 posts
6805 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

[Gamestop.ca] $79 TIV for Pokemon Legends: Arceus starting 01/29, dropping by $1 per day until February 11th ($66)

The post on their promotions page isn't exactly the clearest but with the PDF it's pretty clear what it means.

Anyways if you pick it up on release day from somewhere you can pretty much rent the game for 6 days for $5 if you trade it back in towards something that's taxable on February 2nd, or closer to $10 if you do something that isn't.
38 replies
Oct 12, 2012
139 posts
265 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: game is not even out yet
That's why the countdown starts on January 29.

Gain an extra "$24" by buying at SDM/PHX on release with 20x points offer and trading in immediately? Good likelihood it'll be in stock in store since it's a big game.
Sep 26, 2013
505 posts
992 upvotes
fireball8992 wrote: That's why the countdown starts on January 29.

Gain an extra "$24" by buying at SDM/PHX on release with 20x points offer and trading in immediately? Good likelihood it'll be in stock in store since it's a big game.
Have to pay tax on the whole 80 dallor. so that makes finding one, buying it and trade it in not worth it imo. SDM limits each game you can buy to 1 per custom not like you can buy more anyway. unless want to spped through the game and trade in 3 days later.
Oct 12, 2012
139 posts
265 upvotes
azraelluz wrote: Have to pay tax on the whole 80 dallor. so that makes finding one, buying it and trade it in not worth it imo. SDM limits each game you can buy to 1 per custom not like you can buy more anyway. unless want to spped through the game and trade in 3 days later.
You need to buy the whole game and pay tax anyway. It's a tiny amount regardless, but this is RFD incrementality for the hardcore. Doubtful there'll be 20x offers this weekend anyway since there's a bonus redemption.
Nov 27, 2018
139 posts
128 upvotes
Well now I have to either hate it and trade in right away, or love it so much I finish it in maybe 2 days then trade it in. Has to be one or the other now. Thanks, Gamestop.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10514 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
fireball8992 wrote: You need to buy the whole game and pay tax anyway. It's a tiny amount regardless, but this is RFD incrementality for the hardcore. Doubtful there'll be 20x offers this weekend anyway since there's a bonus redemption.
if you use the app its always there i think

backlog is too long to play other better games anyways
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6473 posts
3108 upvotes
Germany
ManCaveGamer wrote: if you use the app its always there i think

backlog is too long to play other better games anyways
What a time to be alive, eh? My game and TV backlog is so long that I'm contemplating cancelling my Elden Ring pre-order.
Sep 15, 2019
364 posts
950 upvotes
orleans
fireball8992 wrote: You need to buy the whole game and pay tax anyway. It's a tiny amount regardless, but this is RFD incrementality for the hardcore. Doubtful there'll be 20x offers this weekend anyway since there's a bonus redemption.
If you trade in directly to buy something, you won't be charged tax. Which makes it hot for someone who has a purchase they want to make at EB Games for something that is not in stock at Shoppers. There will be a personalized points offer on Monday or Tuesday for a lot of people.

If you have 20x the points, you could buy it for $79.99+tax at Shoppers. You will get back approx. $24 worth of points. You could then trade it in towards a purchase at EB Games for $75-$79 (depending on the day). Worst case scenario, you pay 5+ tax but get back $24 worth of Optimum points.

Of course, this entire thing is ridiculous if you have to drive around for hours. Your time is worth something.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6531 posts
6805 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
My thought process is this is an easy way to guarantee you get something like Horizon: Forbidden West Day 1 using Shoppers points, just using Gamestop as an intermediary.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2019
1107 posts
1885 upvotes
It's pretty good so far, the tutorial and story portions are pretty bad though (lengthy and boring) . The areas aren't fully connected so you need to travel to each specific one which isn't a big deal. Unfortunately the gf has a hold of it now so I went be playing for a bit haha
Oct 12, 2012
139 posts
265 upvotes
pierrefrom0rleans wrote: If you trade in directly to buy something, you won't be charged tax. Which makes it hot for someone who has a purchase they want to make at EB Games for something that is not in stock at Shoppers. There will be a personalized points offer on Monday or Tuesday for a lot of people.

If you have 20x the points, you could buy it for $79.99+tax at Shoppers. You will get back approx. $24 worth of points. You could then trade it in towards a purchase at EB Games for $75-$79 (depending on the day). Worst case scenario, you pay 5+ tax but get back $24 worth of Optimum points.

Of course, this entire thing is ridiculous if you have to drive around for hours. Your time is worth something.
Yes, I'm aware of this, it's what I was explaining to the person I quoted. I was saying you need to buy the game + pay tax either way. Didn't make any reference to the trade in & am aware of the pre-order or redeem the credit right away trick.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5971 posts
3328 upvotes
Ausmack wrote: It's pretty good so far, the tutorial and story portions are pretty bad though (lengthy and boring) . The areas aren't fully connected so you need to travel to each specific one which isn't a big deal. Unfortunately the gf has a hold of it now so I went be playing for a bit haha
how are you playing already?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2019
1107 posts
1885 upvotes
trinxified wrote: how are you playing already?
Playing it for a few days now, got leaked early just like the last pokemon games
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5971 posts
3328 upvotes
Ausmack wrote: Playing it for a few days now, got leaked early just like the last pokemon games
oh modded V1 switch. how can I forget
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2344 posts
2471 upvotes
Surrey
Ausmack wrote: It's pretty good so far, the tutorial and story portions are pretty bad though (lengthy and boring) . The areas aren't fully connected so you need to travel to each specific one which isn't a big deal. Unfortunately the gf has a hold of it now so I went be playing for a bit haha
What? Are you saying the game’s no good then? I was so looking forward to it… Pensive Face
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2019
1107 posts
1885 upvotes
henrik112 wrote:
What? Are you saying the game’s no good then? I was so looking forward to it… Pensive Face
No no, it's definitely good! Just the tutorial stuff is a little lengthy and not a huge fan of a lot of the side missions. On the other end though the battling is good and there is a bit of challenge. I totally recommend.. Very addictive
Nov 24, 2019
70 posts
53 upvotes
GameStop secret mission.

Get everyone to return their Pokemon once they are finished.
Proceed to sell all the Pokemon Arceus games for 75$+ tx (or is it 80$) now...

Kids will buy it.

HUGE Win for GME.
Up to you to take the bait.

PS: The game you trade in for? Probably will lose more than half of its values in 6 months.