Expired Hot Deals

Gamestop.ca

[Dec 3-5] PS4 Console trade-in at retail value when trading towards PS5 or Xbox Series S/X bundles

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2179 posts
2072 upvotes
Surrey

[Gamestop.ca] [Dec 3-5] PS4 Console trade-in at retail value when trading towards PS5 or Xbox Series S/X bundles

GameStop is offering trade-in values for PS4’s equal to how much they sell a playd one for when you trade towards a new Xbox series X/S or PS5 bundle. Pretty good value, especially considering they don’t need to have stock on hand for the console you want for the promo to be valid.
Images
  • 86FB5645-C1AF-48DE-A2B6-5CA5DB31D1D7.jpeg
Thread Summary
The promo ended earlier today
1343 replies
May 29, 2012
37 posts
36 upvotes
Seems like a great deal. I would have jumped on this if it wasn't for the fine print that it must be applied to a console bundle.
In store only! Limit 1 trade per customer. Trade credit bump only applies towards PS5 / XBOX SERIES X|S Console bundle. Trade credit may be put towards future PS5/Xbox Series X|S Console bundles with no guaranteed date of when stock will be available. Cannot be combined with other Trade offers including EDGE. Trade must be in full working condition. Altered consoles will not be accepted for trade. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at any time. No substitutions will be made. No rainchecks.
Nov 23, 2017
309 posts
291 upvotes
Wow I might have to send in my ps4 pro for this offer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2179 posts
2072 upvotes
Surrey
JSin05 wrote: Seems like a great deal. I would have jumped on this if it wasn't for the fine print that it must be applied to a console bundle.
Yes, I clearly mentioned bundles. Still a good value for old PS4s
Sep 15, 2019
275 posts
695 upvotes
orleans
JSin05 wrote: Seems like a great deal. I would have jumped on this if it wasn't for the fine print that it must be applied to a console bundle.
The fact that you can put it to a future console is a good deal.

I figured it was a trojan horse to get people into the stores, considering how little inventory there is. I didn't realize they allowed you to effectively pre-order a console.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2006
1231 posts
660 upvotes
GTA
Wow this is a fantastic deal if you can go without a system for a little while.

EDIT: Little while = 1 Day to 1 Year, who knows.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1507 posts
1696 upvotes
are they intentionally trying to kill themselves? Confused Face
Sep 14, 2018
246 posts
368 upvotes
$300 for the basic is a great deal. Pay about 400$ for a PS5...sell for 1000$, wait to buy another at retail with your 600$ profit
Last edited by zigmanroxie on Dec 1st, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2179 posts
2072 upvotes
Surrey
zigmanroxie wrote: 300 for the basic is a great deal
Hardest one to sell (even though I sold one to someone I know), so yea I agree
Last edited by henrik112 on Dec 1st, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2983 posts
2710 upvotes
Whitby
PS4s the holy grail. Wow...........
Jul 2, 2007
709 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
l1197493 wrote: are they intentionally trying to kill themselves? Confused Face
Are they though? With the stock going to the moon don't they have money to blow now?

Does anyone know much the bundles range from?
Going broke saving money
May 14, 2015
121 posts
64 upvotes
interesting, just called my local gamestop, was told the promotion is upon the inventory of PS5 during the promotion, no waiting list. I was asked to call in in the morning of Dec 3.
Jul 23, 2010
742 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
EB/GameStop has been having these console trade ins frequently. I wonder if there’s still many people left who can take advantage. I traded two in for $245 ea. This is much hotter.
Sep 15, 2019
275 posts
695 upvotes
orleans
l1197493 wrote: are they intentionally trying to kill themselves? Confused Face
Their strategy is pretty smart.

You bring in a console, that means you are going to be locked into buying a next-gen console there to get your bonus. They upsell you on everything (bundle, warranty for the controller, warranty for the game, warranty for the console), you have to go into their store multiple times (both for the trade in, and to pick up your console). Which means you are more likely to make a gaming related purchase there than at a competitor. Not to mention, once you're locked into the console, there is more incentive for you to go to their stores daily to try and luck into finding one in stock. Additionally, when people trade in consoles, they are very likely to trade in additional hardware and software. Those trade in values are very low, like 1 dollar per game. Most people aren't interested in using Kijiji/Facebook Marketplace/eBay, and they might consider the games useless (although PS4 is backward compatible). So there is a high chance Game Stop picks up a bunch of dirt cheap games and accessories.

Next, consoles are in high demand right now. Even if they break even, or lose a bit of money on a console (considering the cost of labor involved in the transaction), having a popular console for sale used creates an opportunity to make money off (again) warranties, cross selling games, platinum memberships, etc.

Add in the fact that allowing customers to trade in for a future console with NO GUARANTEE of delivery date is effectively an interest free loan for Game Stop. They get a product that they sell for $350 (and profit off of up/cross selling), and they give the customer zero dollars for it. They give the customer a promise of $350 (or whatever it may be) off of a next gen console, that any normal customer with a full time job is unlikely to find for months, if not longer. With that variant that sounds like a bad guy from the Transformers coming, and supply chain issues already being rampant, who knows how many of these orders Game Stop will realistically have to fulfill any time soon.

It is a very smart play by Game Stop. A great deal for anybody who has already lucked into getting a console from there and can return/rebuy with the trade in.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Dec 11, 2012
315 posts
952 upvotes
Waterloo
Do they require just the console? Or the cables and controller as well?

Also does the system have to be fully working, do they check?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1891 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know what's included in their bundles and pricing?
Feb 24, 2003
285 posts
43 upvotes
Anyone know what bundles they have and the cost?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1003 posts
1093 upvotes
Holy shit. You can basically direct swap for a Series S...