Expired Hot Deals

Gamestop.ca

[Dec 3-5] PS4 Console trade-in at retail value when trading towards PS5 or Xbox Series S/X bundles

Sep 15, 2019
384 posts
1043 upvotes
orleans
chemicalxv wrote: Who the hell is waiting a year for a PS5? Can you guys stop acting like GS isn't regularly getting stock shipped to stores?
They get regular stock, but because it is out the door so quickly, people don't really know they get regular stock.

You have to figure out what time your local store unloads their daily shipment of goods, and be there around that time so you can get what might be the 1 console they get that day. Alternatively, any time you're by an EB Games, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc, walk in with the dread "u got any of dem PS5s bro?" question that they probably get 1000 times a day.

It is a lot easier to get a PS5 at retail than people think, but it still isn't viable for most people with day jobs, because they won't be able to just hit up an EB Games at 11 or 12 in the morning multiple times a month.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1567 posts
1065 upvotes
Canada
DarkReaper wrote: Has anyone confirmed how this works? Is it like a preorder and Gamestop will hold a console for you, with no ETA on when they will have stock? Or are customers expected to show up at Gamestop physically (possibly only the trade-in location) until they have stock at that moment?
I asked my Gamestop and what happens is they keep your credit in the system on a special SKU, which can be applied only towards a PS5 bundle. The PS5 bundle includes the console (disc version), a controller, and Ratchet & Clank for $881. There's also the PS5 digital version bundle but I didn't ask about that. And there is no waitlist so that means you need to find stock at this same location like every body else that didn't do a trade in. Because finding stock is so hard that is what is keeping some people from doing this trade.
Sep 15, 2019
384 posts
1043 upvotes
orleans
rokkzstar wrote: yeah its red withthe spiderman logo on it with a red controller.

https://www.amazon.ca/Playstation-Pro-1 ... B07TCF4L4P
You can check on eBay by searching an item and clicking the 'sold listings' tab to the left.

It looks like they sell for 350-600ish on eBay. Keeping in mind, you may not be able to get that locally, as there are less collectors, and eBay charges about 15 percent in fees. If you have the original box and packaging, it might be more desirable.

If you don't want a PS5, I would sell it locally. If you want a PS5, especially if you're in a province with high taxes, I'd trade it in and take the 400+tax (452 in Ontario). That is somewhere in the middle ground of what they sell for on eBay.

You could always post an ad on Kijiji and see if someone wants to give you 50-100 to swap their equivalent PS4 Pro for your special edition. The only downside is, you risk being scammed if someone has a broken one. If you can find someone to swap before Sunday, you should get the same trade in value for a regular PS4 Pro, and you'll pocket some extra cash from someone who is glad to pay to get the limited edition design. Although, I think it is unlikely you will find someone that quickly who would want to do that.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Apr 24, 2018
115 posts
94 upvotes
may have to jump on this..

I haven't turned on my ps4 in 6 months.

Planned to get the 5 eventually so I don't even care when gamestop gets stock.
Mar 2, 2009
573 posts
309 upvotes
Can you create a bundle with more controllers instead of a game?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2942 posts
974 upvotes
Trade in tips:
  • deactivate your ps4 from your psn account by going to 'settings -> account management -> activate ps4' and select deactivate if its activated as your default ps4
  • initialize your ps4 (to get back to factory settings and remove your account info)
  • To save time when you trade in set up your PS4 again as new, create a guest account and install a game that you can bring with you and test when you arrive to gamestop
  • you'll need all cables and accessories that came with the console: power cord, hdmi cable, usb controller charge cable, a single controller.
  • afik, the hdmi and usb controller charge cable can be generic cables and they don't have to be the original ones the console came with
  • controllers must be first party sony controllers
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7539 posts
4144 upvotes
Montreal
RussellP53756 wrote: may have to jump on this..

I haven't turned on my ps4 in 6 months.

Planned to get the 5 eventually so I don't even care when gamestop gets stock.
It’s perfect deal in that case
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10872 posts
731 upvotes
Scarborough
Does anybody know what happens to your credit when a store closes down? The closest Gamestop to me closed down suddenly although I didn't have credit there, I am worried this will happen more and more especially in non mall locations.

If there isn't a true waitlist, I am not sure I would take the risk as I don't have all the time to go to the store (i.e. a mall) and check up every morning for new stock but the value is very enticing. I wish Gamestop was more clear about the waitlist thing.
Feb 25, 2018
160 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote: Does anybody know what happens to your credit when a store closes down? The closest Gamestop to me closed down suddenly although I didn't have credit there, I am worried this will happen more and more especially in non mall locations.

If there isn't a true waitlist, I am not sure I would take the risk as I don't have all the time to go to the store (i.e. a mall) and check up every morning for new stock but the value is very enticing. I wish Gamestop was more clear about the waitlist thing.
Your credit is tied to your online account usually if you have one. Credits don't expire and don't worry Gamestop won't go out of business as long as Papa Cohen is in charge.
May 12, 2014
44 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I wish they offered increased trade in value for the Xbox One X. Would actually trade mine in for another Series X.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2193 posts
1613 upvotes
Fredericton
rokkzstar wrote: I have a spiderman PS4 Pro. I wonder if this is worth it for me to trade in or does the SE go for more online?
I sold mine locally last November for $350. If I still had it, I'd *gladly* trade it for $450 credit.
Jun 7, 2007
839 posts
380 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fujiapplelover wrote: I asked my Gamestop and what happens is they keep your credit in the system on a special SKU, which can be applied only towards a PS5 bundle. The PS5 bundle includes the console (disc version), a controller, and Ratchet & Clank for $881. There's also the PS5 digital version bundle but I didn't ask about that. And there is no waitlist so that means you need to find stock at this same location like every body else that didn't do a trade in. Because finding stock is so hard that is what is keeping some people from doing this trade.
Is the PS5 disc bundle with controller and ratchet and clank game meaning it's extra controller, so total of 2 controllers?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1567 posts
1065 upvotes
Canada
25jai wrote: Is the PS5 disc bundle with controller and ratchet and clank game meaning it's extra controller, so total of 2 controllers?
Yes 2 controllers in total. One that comes with the console, and an additional one.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
3175 posts
3377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I want to retain the silent hill PT that's still on my PS4. Guess I'm SOL ?

"According to Polygon, it's neither possible to transfer P.T. to a PS5 nor play it on the console through backward compatibility"
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1864 posts
354 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
fujiapplelover wrote: I asked my Gamestop and what happens is they keep your credit in the system on a special SKU, which can be applied only towards a PS5 bundle. The PS5 bundle includes the console (disc version), a controller, and Ratchet & Clank for $881. There's also the PS5 digital version bundle but I didn't ask about that. And there is no waitlist so that means you need to find stock at this same location like every body else that didn't do a trade in. Because finding stock is so hard that is what is keeping some people from doing this trade.
$881 must be including tax for whatever province you're in?
Otherwise I don't get the math
PS5 disc - $629.99
R&C - $79.99
Controller - $89.99
= $799.97
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6739 posts
7049 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
thechampion116 wrote: Does anybody know what happens to your credit when a store closes down? The closest Gamestop to me closed down suddenly although I didn't have credit there, I am worried this will happen more and more especially in non mall locations.

They'll transfer it to a store of your choosing.
Banned
Nov 18, 2021
64 posts
44 upvotes
By the time you may be able to get a PS5 console from a store you may be dead. Better to enjoy $200 to $300 or keep the console, PS4 of whatever type, and game on it. Honestly what they are giving over the offer isn't much if anything when you consider things. I guess if you are a flipper / scalper then this can be made to work for you but I don't care about that side of things.
Last edited by Saleaway on Dec 2nd, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2002 posts
1171 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: They'll transfer it to a store of your choosing.
So, the credits are locked to a store unless requested? I can't just hop to multiple Gamestops in search of stock?
Feb 1, 2013
425 posts
416 upvotes
Do they insert a disc into the console to see if it works? Or do they just power it on?