Expired Hot Deals

Gamestop.ca

[Dec 3-5] PS4 Console trade-in at retail value when trading towards PS5 or Xbox Series S/X bundles

Banned
Nov 18, 2021
64 posts
44 upvotes
s1gfromwpg wrote: Do they insert a disc into the console to see if it works? Or do they just power it on?
Do people kill deals by doing something stupid like I think you are going to try? Yes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6507 posts
6798 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
DarkReaper wrote: So, the credits are locked to a store unless requested? I can't just hop to multiple Gamestops in search of stock?
Correct that's generally how it works unless you take the trade credit back on your EDGE card, which obviously wouldn't apply here.

I THINK what MIGHT work is if you traded in to Gamestop A for this promo, and then one day were in Gamestop B and they had stock, you MIGHT be able to outright buy it at Gamestop B, then return it to Gamestop A and rebuy it using your trade credit.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1559 posts
1036 upvotes
Canada
errational wrote: $881 must be including tax for whatever province you're in?
Otherwise I don't get the math
PS5 disc - $629.99
R&C - $79.99
Controller - $89.99
= $799.97
Yes I believe they quoted me the total with 13% tax. $60 for Ratchet & Clank at this moment so they must have used this value. I don't know if they would calculate using the regular $80 when the sale price of the game goes back up though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6507 posts
6798 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Saleaway wrote: Do people kill deals by doing something stupid like I think you are going to try? Yes.
To be fair if Gamestop was actually worried about accepting games with broken disc drives/readers they'd require the associates to fully test them in-store lol.

Obviously they're not because generally they're fixable, or usable for parts for other consoles.
Mar 6, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
So I just bought a PS5 recently on gamestop during blackfriday and it hasn't arrived yet, does anyone know if I can still take advantage of this promotion?
Sep 15, 2019
364 posts
950 upvotes
orleans
s1gfromwpg wrote: Do they insert a disc into the console to see if it works? Or do they just power it on?
They have a polygraph test that they use for trade ins, but it's not 100 percent. Back in 2010 I watched a few Youtube videos on how to pass polygraph tests, and I was able to successfully trade them an Xbox 360 that had the RROD. YMMV.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Sep 15, 2019
364 posts
950 upvotes
orleans
Charlee12 wrote: So I just bought a PS5 recently on gamestop during blackfriday and it hasn't arrived yet, does anyone know if I can still take advantage of this promotion?
You might have better luck calling the establishment this question is directed at before posting in the thread.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Feb 1, 2013
420 posts
409 upvotes
carmageddon wrote: I want to retain the silent hill PT that's still on my PS4. Guess I'm SOL ?

"According to Polygon, it's neither possible to transfer P.T. to a PS5 nor play it on the console through backward compatibility"
Yeah I just made the tough decision to initialize my PS4. Lost P.T. entirely. I can also confirm that it won’t transfer over to a PS5
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4825 posts
5275 upvotes
Alberta
s1gfromwpg wrote: Yeah I just made the tough decision to initialize my PS4. Lost P.T. entirely. I can also confirm that it won’t transfer over to a PS5
It can be dumped into a pkg file to install on exploitable ps4s. That is the only current preservation option.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1559 posts
1036 upvotes
Canada
s1gfromwpg wrote: Yeah I just made the tough decision to initialize my PS4. Lost P.T. entirely. I can also confirm that it won’t transfer over to a PS5
P.T. was recreated in Media Molecule's Dreams by someone and playable in VR, at least it lives on that way...
Feb 1, 2013
420 posts
409 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: It can be dumped into a pkg file to install on exploitable ps4s. That is the only current preservation option.
To be fair, that game scares the heck out of me. I think I only played the demo 4-5 times. Damn shame they didn’t complete it because it is terrifying. Not my cup of tea, but I know many who enjoy that genre.
Nov 17, 2019
148 posts
241 upvotes
No waiting list almost Killa this deal. You'd have to go in there almost daily (assuming at open) and ask if they finally have some PS5s...
But goddamn $500ish for my pro that I already got for a bargain is hard to pass up...
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2465 posts
1623 upvotes
So I went to the GameStop at Shoppers World Danforth and they said they put you on a waitlist if the console isn't in stock.
The person also said they think Series S doesn't require a bundle, the PS5 and Series X does.

Also got a checklist for what you need when you trade in with your consoles.
HDMI and USB cable is optional, but they said they really prefer if you included a HDMI cable.

And for the person asking about PSVR, they don't take PSVR right now because of the pandemic.
May 18, 2015
55 posts
30 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
pierrefrom0rleans wrote: You're in Alberta, where taxes are low. For anybody in a province with 13-15 percent taxes, toward a next gen console they are giving you $500 for a Playstation Pro, or about $400 for a slim. For example, in Ontario taxes are 13 percent, so you get an additional 58.5 from trading in the console by proxy because you don't pay the tax on the first $450 of the PS5 or Series X that you are trading it for.

If the average seller is asking as low as $300, they may not get $300. That's with the hassle of dealing with unreliable or crazy people on Kijiji. You're potentially getting 25-50 percent more value and it's a lot less time and effort.

It's really only a hot deal for someone who isn't ready to get rid of their PS4, or doesn't want it anymore but isn't comfortable with selling it on Kijiji/Facebook/eBay/etc. In those situations, it's a sunk cost. If you have a Pro that you trade in, you're paying $330+tax to upgrade your Pro to a PS5, with a second controller, and a game you don't want (lol). In a worst case scenario, you can trade the game and controller back to them for something like 50 bucks.\

Then you add in the fact that you also now have an active warranty from Sony, and you have future proofed the value of your console. Unless the supply catches up, there is a good chance if you decide to get rid of your console anytime in the next 6-12 months, you will get back a majority of your investment (opportunity cost of the trade in console+the cost you paid on top of that).

Of course, none of this matters if you cannot find a console in stock. I think they are easier to find than people think in store (not online), you just have to shamelessly go into an EB Games every time you're near one and ask if they have them. You will eventually get lucky with the timing and be there after the have unloaded a shipment. They apparently get them in, but they apparently don't get very many. The problem is, with this promotion, and a near 10 page RFD thread, everybody is going to be doing that tomorrow in hopes of snagging one and doing a return.
Fair point on the taxes. I have sold many things on Kijiji and the only bad experience was a guy asking for a discount on a brand new item -- annoying since I went out of my way to meet him. On principal, I will never discount items unless someone asks before I meet up with them. I don't need a PS5 but this deal piqued my interest. Going to see if I can sell my PS4 for $400 on Kijiji with a bunch of accessories and games. If not, I will try this deal and piece out the accessories.
Feb 1, 2013
420 posts
409 upvotes
whoa-albert wrote: So I went to the GameStop at Shoppers World Danforth and they said they put you on a waitlist if the console isn't in stock.
The person also said they think Series S doesn't require a bundle, the PS5 and Series X does.
I think the Series S qualifies as a “bundle” because it’s packaged with Fortnite and Rocket League. Lol
Dec 15, 2017
166 posts
129 upvotes
YMMV, but my console wasn't even tested when I traded it in. I had all the original packaging, and it looked basically brand new though.
Oct 12, 2020
242 posts
276 upvotes
whoa-albert wrote: So I went to the GameStop at Shoppers World Danforth and they said they put you on a waitlist if the console isn't in stock.

Also got a checklist for what you need when you trade in with your consoles.
HDMI and USB cable is optional, but they said they really prefer if you included a HDMI cable.

And for the person asking about PSVR, they don't take PSVR right now because of the pandemic.
Do they need the controller?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2465 posts
1623 upvotes
JustAUsername wrote: Do they need the controller?
Yes, console, controller, power adapter are a must. HDMI and USB cable are optional according to their checklist.